JeepJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
Hey All,

I am looking at getting a 2019 JL Moab from two different dealerships, and I want to know if either of them are priced correctly. Here's the info:

Jeep 1 - Asking $49,179:
- Ocean Blue w/ Black McKinley Leather interior
- Only Moab package - no other packages
- Immaculate inside & out
- No mods, purely stock
- Super low miles (just over 7K)
- KBB shows fair at ~$45K, Edmunds at ~$47K

Jeep 2 - Asking $46,998:
- Black w/ Tan McKinley Leather interior
- Moab + Tow package
- Seems to be in almost as good condition as Jeep #1
- No mods, purely stock
- Decent mileage (just under 18k)
- KBB shows fair at ~$42K, Edmunds @ ~$43K

My thoughts:
- Jeep 1's big advantage is low mileage and immaculate condition
- Jeep 1's disadvantage is color (wife doesn't like it, but I do) and lack of tow package (I'll have to add it later)
- Jeep 2's big advantages are color (both wife & I like it) and tow package
- Jeep 2's disadvantages are condition (comparatively - it actually is in really great condition) and mileage
- Both have the disadvantage of distance (It'd either be $1500 to have it shipped, or a ~$200-$300 flight + ~24hrs/1400 miles worth of driving to get it back)
- I'll have to add local sales tax + registration after the fact
- I have no trades, and will probably be bringing my own financing.

Finally, I have not started negotiations w/ Jeep 1's dealer just yet (will be on Tues), but Jeep 2's dealer said that they don't negotiate - they claim 'No Haggle Pricing'.

So, I'm looking for experiences (hopefully recent ones) that anyone may have that might relate. I'm sure I can get a better deal by going private, but I haven't been able to find anything that I'm interested in. Are KBB and Edmunds proper reflections of the market, or are they always lower than what people pay?
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@JeepJoe

this is just my opinion to start with. a 2019 jeep wrangler with either 7k or 18k miles on it and asking close to msrp price is way too high. however, the prices on used wranglers are high in the first place due to the resale value. if i was at that point in looking at used, i'd just go and buy / order new. also, i prefer to physically look and test drive the jeep before negotiating. again that my opinion.

now as to you questions on the 2 moab jeeps. i cant honestly answer to if it a high price. to me yes, that because i prefer to say on the function of the jeep vs style. and by doing that, its keeping the price down. i'm not for the bells and whistles. thats why i went with a base 2 door sport jl. from there i can build it the way i want it. thats another topic.

it appears that jeep #2 is the agreeable jeep between the 2 of you. however i would stay away from dealers that say "no negotiation" there's plenty of other dealers that would be willing to negotiate. sorry to throw a curve ball on that.

as for the traveling or shipping part. paying $1500 to ship it will hurt the fact of trying to save a buck or two in the sales. now flying in and driving home would be a fun adventure. some of the members have done that.

if i may throw this out to you. have you looked at the 2021 moab inventory near you. how about looking at ordering one. chances are that you can get one with a better price with 0 miles. you are in vt, so you might want to look at fizpartick in ct or criswell in md. guys here have ordered or brought off the lot from them with up to 8%+ off msrp.

just on a side note. i dont know if you had a wrangler before, either way you should test drive different models, including the moab and see how the 2 of you like it. the jl models are great and much improved from the jk and later models.

OP
OP
JeepJoe

JeepJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Moab
Hey @cosine, thanks for the info and I agree with all your points. However, I've run all the numbers, and would need 12%+ off invoice for the $ spent to be the same. With no other financing incentives, it just means more money out of my pocket, even if it's a 'better value'. Not only that, but then there's the 6+ week wait time. I'm currently without a vehicle, and while that's not a big deal for a short amount of time as we still have my wife's car, I'd rather not have it be longer than it has to be. Plus, I'm good with a used vehicle, as long as it has all the options I want and is in good condition, both of which these are.

All these little things add up.

I have driven the JLs, and it's definitely better than the JK models, for sure. I'm not really sold on the tires, but I'm probably going to be getting winter tires anyway and can live with them until they need replacing.

Also, unless I'm missing something they don't offer the Moab trim anymore. Closest is the High Altitude, and that's crazy money for something that isn't really what I want. I could make it what I want but unless there's a savings there, it just doesn't seem to be worth it.

I don't mind traveling to get it. The big thing there is just the time - is it worth 2-3 days worth of traveling? IDK, maybe. For a good deal, I'm not opposed.

The point about non-negotiating dealers is a good one. I was definitely put off by hearing that. They tout it as a good thing, but unless their price is good then it doesn't really make sense. Which is the kind of the reason for this post. :)

Last edited:

Eduardo909

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL MOAB
Is there no more new inventory? I paid $48k for my brand new 19 MOAB with tow package so those two seems super expensive being used. I did a trade in value about a month ago and the highest offer I got was $35k so they are definitely making some money. I would go after #1 but definitely haggle on the price.

Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Jeep #2
You and wife like it.
Color combination
Already has the tow package which is an expensive and on especially if done by dealership.
Good luck!

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@JeepJoe i here you on your points. so i did chcck the jeep build site and it appears that the moab is discoed. i jumped to fast in my response without checking. the other thing i forgot to mention if you ordered one is that it could be longer than 6 weeks to build due the either wait list and or covid status.

let me throw this idea out to you. i understand that you want the moab edition. have you considered in looking at another model that could come close to what you want and perhaps it will bring down the cost. i was thinking of getting a rubicon myself but after looking more into it. i started to break things down from options to style / design. at the end i ended up scrapping the rubicon idea and looked at the sport. the reason was that i didnt care for the wheel options, the red dash and couple of other things. but wanted the d44s, lockers. plus the cost that i have no problem paying, just didnt want to spend that much money in a jeep. so i started looking at the sport s in the 4 door. test drove a 4 door sport s and it was nice and all, but didnt care for the bells and whistles. and the price was at 47k with no discounts. the dealer thinks i'm a dumbass, telling me that no one else discounts the wrangler. i walked out. i then sat down and built a 4 door sport and 2 door sport. i ended up going with a 2 door sport base model with 4 options. i got luck that one dealer had one right down to the color. went down negotiate and drove home with it.

like i said, just an idea. and just helping a jeeper out. ultimately it your call. in the long run it might work out in you favor and a jl might just be sitting right around the corner. the other thing to keep in mind is that your local jeep dealer might not be happy to service your jeep that you got elsewhere. yeah its sad, but true. i've had that happen.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
In late April, I bought a new 2019 MOAB online with an MSRP of nearly $53,300 and paid just around $42,750 for it. Yes, FCA had dropped its pants and the California dealer also added a substantial discount, plus I had a Jeep bonus coupon. My Jeep came only with the 24M MOAB package, automatic transmission, and remote start. Because it was one of the last new Mojito MOABs in the country (both the Mojito color and the MOAB model were dropped last year by FCA), I was willing to live without other options and have since added my own trailer hitch and switching box. Will add heated seats later this month.

Having said that, I am amazed by the price of used Jeeps, including an identical one to mine I saw online last week with 18k miles for $50,000. Of my last five Wranglers, four were purchased new because at the time used Jeep prices were just “too fu#king high” (watch the movie, Used Cars). Based on what I am seeing out there today, I would strongly suggest seeking an alternative to buying used from a dealer. Unless you are hellbent on a MOAB (like I was) and are left with no choice.

Bad news, good news. Both of the quotes you post here just seem high for a used Jeep, albeit Wranglers have historically held their value very well and are almost always in the top five or ten best resale vehicles. Combined with a current shortage of used vehicles, this is why you are seeing these somewhat ridiculous prices and likely will for some period of time.

So now it becomes a personal decision; do you want the MOAB so bad that you are willing to pay, in essence, a premium price for it? If I may suggest, look around on Craigslist (in various cities) and the other usual private party sale websites (just to avoid the dealers). If not, order a 2021 Wrangler or find a hell of a deal on a 2020 on a dealer’s lot. But expect to pay more than normal for a used JL (especially the MOAB) for the foreseeable future, particularly from a dealer, if you decide to go that direction. And no matter which way you go, as someone else mentioned, there is the cost of getting the vehicle home once you reach a deal. My MOAB cost $1280 to ship from CA to WI and it’s the first new vehicle I have ever bought without walking around it, kicking the tires, and taking it for a spin. That can be a little nerve-racking when you’re spending that kind of money.

Good luck!

Last edited:

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
Used Jeeps hold their resale value well and MOABs are far a few between. If you want a MOAB, you will likely need to pay a premium and be willing to act fast. Option #1 is high priced. Option #2 is more reasonable for the MOAB premium, also its rare to find the tan seats. Secure a MOAB first then worry about getting it to you.

Ask yourself what you need from your Jeep. Is it a DD? How many miles will you be putting on annually? Do you need tow and aux switches? If its an extra/fun car and not DD, miles don't matter in my opinion. If you will be putting on low mileage annually, miles don't matter unless it high mileage (>12,500/year average). If you want tow but don't need aux switches you can add it on for a few hundred bucks. If you just need a hitch and no electric its $150 or less. If you want/need the aux switches look for one with factory trailer tow installed. Do you need to 2019 or willing to look at 2018?

We were between a MOAB and Rubi, but decided the MOAB was overall better for us (wife liked that it was more unique and not seen frequently in the wild). Got a 2019 used, so I'm speaking from experience. Also, you aren't likely to do better on the private market with a MOAB. Ours is an extra car so its not driven daily and I didn't care about mileage as much when searching. I'll be sending you a PM shortly.

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Yeah they seem like ripoffs. You can get the same options in a new Jeep for the same, if not lower, cost. Complete ripoff. Is the word "moab" worth it?

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
You would be paying more than new for a 2 year old used vehicle.
See below
However, I've run all the numbers, and would need 12%+ off invoice for the $ spent to be the same. With no other financing incentives, it just means more money out of my pocket, even if it's a 'better value'.
Sounds like the OP is set on either of the two. If the carfax checks out, do Jeep #1. Lower mileage is worth the money and 7k in miles is for a 2019 is practically new. See if you can get the price down lower. If so, do it.

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
I agree with what a few of the others are saying. Your Jeep #1 is the price I paid for my 2019 Moab which was factory ordered and fully optioned (sky-touch roof and all). I think your best bet would be to find a brand new model that is exactly what you want and start talking to one of the dealers that offer 8% below invoice (see the purchasing threads on this forum). Going this route, you'll have exactly what you (and your wife) want and you won't be upside-down financially.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Definitely high priced. I understand the Rubicon red highlights can be a turn off, but capability wise they are hard to beat. I got my 2020 brand new just over a month ago for $38k...If I was ex-military there was another $1,000 rebate. I drove 8 hours to get it but it was exactly what I wanted. So it pays to shop around. The next closest one was still hours away, a different color, and $6k more.

Rycam

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Moab Firecracker Red, 2015 Dodge Durango R/T - white, red leather, blacktop pkg (traded), 1995 Mustang GT convertible, Lexus RX350
Like others mentioned, higher price on both of the Moab’s you are looking at than a negotiated price when new. I bought my 2019 Moab brand new in August 2019 with no miles for significantly less than both that you have listed. That being said, the dealer that won’t negotiate is looking for a gullible buyer that THINKS he is getting a great deal... Furthermore, you may want to verify the year on the black one. If I recall, tan interior was only offered on the short run of 2018 Moab’s and dropped for 2019 Moab models making black leather with white stitching the only option for the 2019 Moab edition. Because of that, the black Jeep may just be a 2018, obviously, if that is the case, the price just got that much worse. I would definitely check the VIN to verify the year. The tenth digit represents the year, J = 2018, K = 2019.

I understand your want for a Moab as the wife and I fell in love with the whole package, looks, options that were factory that you cannot get on any other models, such the satin black wheels and badging, the rock sliders with step assist, Rubicon vented hood and steel front bumper, leather wrapped dash as well as all the luxury power equipment. Aside from the rarity of the vehicle itself. Someone actually referred to the Moab as driving a unicorn in another post I have seen on the forum. I also found production numbers and posted them on the other Moab thread that you linked this one to, they truly are unique. But is that uniqueness worth the price of these 2 that you have located?

Have you done any search for any leftover Moab’s at any dealers? I know there were a few stragglers leftover when I was nosing around not too long ago.

We were fortunate enough to find ours at a dealer one state to the South of us and had two trades. Worked out our deal over the phone and email and drove down the following weekend to pickup our new Jeep. We drove even further for the vehicle before that as we love a good road trip and also make a mini vacation out of our car purchases by mapping out different side destinations and spend a few days or more on the road to get even more enjoyment out of the whole process.

My final thought on the subject of buying a Moab, have you searched this site for any members wanting to sell their Moab? I have seen some listed for sale on the JL Wrangler forums, or you could start another thread soliciting potential members that may be interested in selling theirs?

Best of luck to you and I hope you find your dream Jeep as we did with ours!!!
Sponsored