Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Info - What's New (So Far)?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of which, since you seem to have the inside scoop... when is a new Grand Cherokee coming out? The existing one is getting long in the tooth.
Change, just for the sake of change is never a good idea. I'm more of a proponent of doing a good design and then progressive tweaks to fix bugs or make it better.
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Change, just for the sake of change is never a good idea. I'm more of a proponent of doing a good design and then progressive tweaks to fix bugs or make it better.
I was about say itā€™s all about sales figures, hence the new JL Wrangler vs the JK, but I just looked up their annual sales and last year was actually their best year. It seems like I donā€™t see them as much as I used to despite the model being 7 years old now. Their changes have been minimal since 2014, the jump in sales is probably more of a function of the economy than anything specific to the model.

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of which, since you seem to have the inside scoop... when is a new Grand Cherokee coming out? The existing one is getting long in the tooth.
Sorry, no idea, we only talked about the Wrangler.

DukeofJeep

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTI, 2013 JKUR 10th Anniversary Edition, 2004 TJ Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
According to one of the other forums I frequent the new Grand Cherokee will be a 2020 model.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
According to one of the other forums I frequent the new Grand Cherokee will be a 2020 model.
Which means that they must finally be getting it right and now they need to go back and screw things up a bit...

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I sold my stock Rubicon wheels and tires to the brother of a co-worker who programs the BCMs for the Wranglers. He said that for 2019 the Wrangler will be getting an entirely new BCM. He also said that the turbo 4 cylinder version won't be the only model with that 48V mild hybrid, and that the 3.6L will also be getting a mild-hybrid. The regular alternator will be replaced with a larger generator and a 48V battery will be under the rear seats. He was keen to point out that they have already announced this for the new RAM 1500. The 2019 model RAM 1500 V8 not have the 48V mild-hybrid system as standard on the V8 (it's optional on the V8 and standard on the V6), but the 2020 V8 model will have it as standard.

He also mentioned forward collision warning and radar cruise on the 2019s, but it looks like that's out in the open now. I sold him the wheels/tires back in March, so it looks like he was spot on about those items. For all of the "that's why I'm waiting til 2019" comments - enjoy your 48V mild hybrid system and the complexities that go along with that. At least you'll get better gas mileage.

EDIT: I also remember him saying that the 48V mild-hybrid system would allow them to get rid of the second 12V battery (located under the primary battery in the 2018s) for the stop-start features of the engine, since they will be able to use the 48V battery for that.
What you're referring to is the BSG, which has been well known about for at least the last year.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
What you're referring to is the BSG, which has been well known about for at least the last year.
Aside from rumors on this forum and intuition, I canā€™t find any confirmation of this at all anywhere else.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Aside from rumors on this forum and intuition, I canā€™t find any confirmation of this at all anywhere else.
Are you thinking thereā€™s a different 48v system for next year, other than the BSG? I doubt that.

Firemedicsparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
DC3F9A11-DAD1-4CC0-ADBA-1E674F65FDD1.png

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

JamesWyatt

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
ACC is one of the worst inventions in the history of bad inventions, at least, IMPO.

When I set the cruise, I expect to stay at that speed unless I have to adjust due to conditions. If someone is going slower ahead of me, I will get closer to them and then overtake in the proper lane and then resume my original position when clear and not lose speed (again unless conditions warrant otherwise). With ACC, the car reads the next car ahead of you and slows you down so you never overtake them and just lose speed.

Here's an example scenario I found myself in...
Driving down a three lane, lightly traveled 65 MPH zone, I set my cruise to 73 and take position in the center lane so that slower traffic on the right is free to do whatever it is they do at 35 MPH. A few miles in, a car is in the same lane as me and they're doing ~65 MPH on cruise. I don't even realize that my car starts slowing me down to keep a safe braking distance from the car ahead of me. The left lane is completely clear. My expectation, using normal CC, is that I'd catch-up to the slower car, move to the left, overtake, move back to the middle when clear. Thanks to ACC, I never get any closer to the other car. When I do realize what's going on, I move to the left lane and the car senses that it is clear. The CC slams on the gas to propel me back to my original 73. That's not the experience I'm going for

ACC will never be a desired feature for me
This might have been addressed in the 25 pages of posts, but in every vehicle I've used with ACC, you can adjust the distance at which it slows you down. I would alway set the adjustment to preference ā€“ close enough to be ready to pass but far enough away to be safe.

Another cool thing ā€“ not sure if the JL will have it, but the Challenger I drove for a while would accelerate back up to cruise speed the minute I hit the turn signal to pass instead of waiting until I was out and in a clear lane. Makes a huge difference versus some of the older ACCs I've driven.

Last edited:

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Told ya'll! ACC was the only feature that was holding me back on the '18 (that and waiting for BSG on the '19), so that's good news. ACC is a really handy feature on the highway!

Any word on the availability of the LED lighting pack on the Sport S?
Cannot wait to have ACC on one of my vehicles so I can relax and drink during my excursion.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Another cool thing ā€“ not sure if the JL will have it, but the Challenger I drove for a while would accelerate back up to cruise speed the minute I hit the turn signal to pass instead of waiting until I was out and in a clear lane. Makes a huge difference versus some of the older ACCs I've driven.
I would expect this to be there. My ā€˜14 WK2 does it so Iā€™d expect the ā€˜19 JL to also do it.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Not for nothing Industrial action but all that does is show that you werenā€™t paying attention thus making you the bad driver that was not paying attention and thus the ACC assisted you. It is not a crap system that promotes bad driving behavior. If you had been paying attention you would have noticed how fast you were coming up on that person, moved to the left lane and passed, or once you got closer moved over and resumed your desired speed.

Maybe in more rural areas is not as useful where itā€™s simple to maneuver around people but for me in nyc acc is awesome. Just today driving on a long hilly highway for an hour I would love to set it and forget in the HOV lane at 70 and be done. But since generally you canā€™t use CC here people donā€™t, even when they can, so now everyone speeds up and slows down with the hills thus making any attempt at me using CC useless unless i set it to much lower to compensate for them speeding up and slowing down every time thereā€™s any kind of grade. With acc I can set it and roll with it never having to touch it again.

One negative thing about the adaptive cruise is the cost of the sensor array. My friend is a tech and was out talking to him and he was troubleshooting one in a WK2, sensor was in a 2014 Limited, mounted in lower grill. He has seen a few out of waranty fail plust a few damaged from impacts from ice probably up here and the cost of the sensor is 1600$ . I have a 15 overland and 17 SRT Challenger and I avoided those becasue I dont drive enough in congested road where it would be useful to me, either use normal CC or traffic is so bad I wouldnt trust it. Not interested in replaceing the sensor at that cost either, just something to think about.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
One negative thing about the adaptive cruise is the cost of the sensor array. My friend is a tech and was out talking to him and he was troubleshooting one in a WK2, sensor was in a 2014 Limited, mounted in lower grill. He has seen a few out of waranty fail plust a few damaged from impacts from ice probably up here and the cost of the sensor is 1600$ . I have a 15 overland and 17 SRT Challenger and I avoided those becasue I dont drive enough in congested road where it would be useful to me, either use normal CC or traffic is so bad I wouldnt trust it. Not interested in replaceing the sensor at that cost either, just something to think about.
Itā€™s in the rear view mirror so it would be pretty difficult to damage it. Iā€™ve had 3 adaptive cruise controlled vehicles and never had a problem. If it does fail, you just end up with regular cruise anyway.
Sponsored