Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Info - What's New (So Far)?

FallenSamurai

First Name
Fallen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
I wonder if bikini is a paint scheme. Like the JK chief.
Sponsored

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Details about the 2019 JL Wrangler are starting to trickle in. No word yet on special editions but it's still early and an announcement may come later in the year. I'll update this as we learn more :like:

2019 Jeep Wrangler - What's New
  • Advanced Safety Group package will include Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning
  • "Bikini" - new exterior paint color
Thanks for posting this, I am going to wait for the diesel and order the 2019 Rubicon.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Thought I saw something about select trac on the Rubicon somewhere. Anyone know what the European configuration is for that? I checked the .de and .uk sites but it's limited. The 4wd shifter does look like it has 4Hi Auto. Would everything else be the same except the transfer case and possibly the low ratio gearing? Auto only?

Onno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting for the New JL to come to New Zealand
Details about the 2019 JL Wrangler are starting to trickle in. No word yet on special editions but it's still early and an announcement may come later in the year. I'll update this as we learn more :like:

2019 Jeep Wrangler - What's New
  • Advanced Safety Group package will include Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning
  • "Bikini" - new exterior paint color
Do you know if they have started the RHD JL build already?

Sponsored

gurneyeagle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi TT RS and 2017 Audi Q3
ACC is one of the worst inventions in the history of bad inventions, at least, IMPO.

When I set the cruise, I expect to stay at that speed unless I have to adjust due to conditions. If someone is going slower ahead of me, I will get closer to them and then overtake in the proper lane and then resume my original position when clear and not lose speed (again unless conditions warrant otherwise). With ACC, the car reads the next car ahead of you and slows you down so you never overtake them and just lose speed.

Here's an example scenario I found myself in...
Driving down a three lane, lightly traveled 65 MPH zone, I set my cruise to 73 and take position in the center lane so that slower traffic on the right is free to do whatever it is they do at 35 MPH. A few miles in, a car is in the same lane as me and they're doing ~65 MPH on cruise. I don't even realize that my car starts slowing me down to keep a safe braking distance from the car ahead of me. The left lane is completely clear. My expectation, using normal CC, is that I'd catch-up to the slower car, move to the left, overtake, move back to the middle when clear. Thanks to ACC, I never get any closer to the other car. When I do realize what's going on, I move to the left lane and the car senses that it is clear. The CC slams on the gas to propel me back to my original 73. That's not the experience I'm going for

ACC will never be a desired feature for me

I hate it too!

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my stock Rubicon wheels and tires to the brother of a co-worker who programs the BCMs for the Wranglers. He said that for 2019 the Wrangler will be getting an entirely new BCM. He also said that the turbo 4 cylinder version won't be the only model with that 48V mild hybrid, and that the 3.6L will also be getting a mild-hybrid. The regular alternator will be replaced with a larger generator and a 48V battery will be under the rear seats. He was keen to point out that they have already announced this for the new RAM 1500. The 2019 model RAM 1500 V8 not have the 48V mild-hybrid system as standard on the V8 (it's optional on the V8 and standard on the V6), but the 2020 V8 model will have it as standard.

He also mentioned forward collision warning and radar cruise on the 2019s, but it looks like that's out in the open now. I sold him the wheels/tires back in March, so it looks like he was spot on about those items. For all of the "that's why I'm waiting til 2019" comments - enjoy your 48V mild hybrid system and the complexities that go along with that. At least you'll get better gas mileage.

EDIT: I also remember him saying that the 48V mild-hybrid system would allow them to get rid of the second 12V battery (located under the primary battery in the 2018s) for the stop-start features of the engine, since they will be able to use the 48V battery for that.

Last edited:

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I sold my stock Rubicon wheels and tires to the brother of a co-worker who programs the BCMs for the Wranglers. He said that for 2019 the Wrangler will be getting an entirely new BCM. He also said that the turbo 4 cylinder version won't be the only model with that 48V mild hybrid, and that the 3.7L will also be getting a mild-hybrid. The regular alternator will be replaced with a larger generator and a 48V battery will be under the rear seats. He was keen to point out that they have already announced this for the new RAM 1500. The 2019 model will not have the 48V mild-hybrid system, but the 2020 model will.

He also mentioned forward collision warning and radar cruise on the 2019s, but it looks like that's out in the open now. I sold him the wheels/tires back in March, so it looks like he was spot on about those items. For all of the "that's why I'm waiting til 2019" comments - enjoy your 48V mild hybrid system and the complexities that go along with that. At least you'll get better gas mileage.

EDIT: I also remember him saying that the 48V mild-hybrid system would allow them to get rid of the second 12V battery (located under the primary battery in the 2018s) for the stop-start features of the engine, since they will be able to use the 48V battery for that.
Didn’t you just say the 2019’s won’t have the mild hybrid system but the 2020 will? Or was that for the Ram?

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Golf GTI SE, 2015 Ducati Diavel Carbon, 2019 Ducati Panigale 959 Corse, 2019 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
Vehicle Showcase
The RAM. For 2019 the V6 RAMs all have the 48V system. It's optional on the V8s. I read that in 2020 all of the V8s will have it. That didn't come from the guy who works there, I read it on Autoblog or Jalopnik or one of those car blog sites. They're trying to raise the economy across all of the vehicles in the range. To clarify - he likened it to the system in the 2019 RAM (same V6 as the Wranglers). Information about the 2020 RAM I read later. (I ended my original post so it makes more sense.)

The 2018 Wranglers only have it on the 4 cyl tubo models, but in 2019 he said it will be standard on both the 4 cyl and the 3.6. As a result, prices are going up on all the 2019s... which isn't a surprise anyway since they've increased the price at will a couple of times anyway.

He also said (at the time) that they were having a lot of issues with the diesel, so not to expect that until very late in the 2019 model year, if not as a 2020.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The RAM. For 2019 the V6 RAMs all have the 48V system. It's optional on the V8s. I read that in 2020 all of the V8s will have it. That didn't come from the guy who works there, I read it on Autoblog or Jalopnik or one of those car blog sites. They're trying to raise the economy across all of the vehicles in the range. To clarify - he likened it to the system in the 2019 RAM (same V6 as the Wranglers). Information about the 2020 RAM I read later. (I ended my original post so it makes more sense.)

The 2018 Wranglers only have it on the 4 cyl tubo models, but in 2019 he said it will be standard on both the 4 cyl and the 3.6. As a result, prices are going up on all the 2019s... which isn't a surprise anyway since they've increased the price at will a couple of times anyway.

He also said (at the time) that they were having a lot of issues with the diesel, so not to expect that until very late in the 2019 model year, if not as a 2020.
The 2.0L took almost the entire model year to actually get produced. Its hard to imagine in just two months every Jeep rolling off the lot will have mild hybrid system. It doesn’t bother me either way as long as still uses 87 octane.

Sponsored

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They've been working on the body control modules for the 2019 Wranglers since February. He's had a couple 2019 Wrangler mules already. He showed up in a 2019 RAM 1500 mule to pick up my wheels, and that was months ago. The 48V system is straight out of the 2019 V6 RAM (same engine, same 48V system) which they've been working on for years, so fitting it wasn't an all new design. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is getting it soon as well, though he didn't say when. For the Wranglers, he said that the new BCM change after only one year is due to the addition of the 48V system - that's the only reason they're changing it. It looks like 2018 will be the dual 12V battery oddball with the one-off BCM.

i64X

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't ask him about the fuel type. I imagine it would be fine still with 87 since the entire system is basically a bolt-on and no engine internals change. If they change the BCM for 2019 and don't implement the 48V system because production isn't ready for whatever reason, that'd really be weird. You'd have a 2018 with rev A BCM, a 2019 with rev B BCM, and a 2020 as a 48V with rev B 2.0 BCM. I wonder how hard it'd be to get parts if you needed them with all of those permutations.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
The 2.0L took almost the entire model year to actually get produced. Its hard to imagine in just two months every Jeep rolling off the lot will have mild hybrid system. It doesn’t bother me either way as long as still uses 87 octane.
Yeah running 91 would suck but There's no reason why the octane would change. The engine is exactly the same 3.6 it's just got the hybrid motor instead of the alternator. It doesn't "ADD" anything to engine power it just fills gaps. The only reason the 2.0 has to run 91 is because it's tuned that way with the turbo.

Hopefully Jeep has been stocking up on these hybrid motors cause they're gonna need like 400,000 of them between the Ram and Wrangler starting at the end of this year.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I didn't ask him about the fuel type. I imagine it would be fine still with 87 since the entire system is basically a bolt-on and no engine internals change. If they change the BCM for 2019 and don't implement the 48V system because production isn't ready for whatever reason, that'd really be weird. You'd have a 2018 with rev A BCM, a 2019 with rev B BCM, and a 2020 as a 48V with rev B 2.0 BCM. I wonder how hard it'd be to get parts if you needed them with all of those permutations.
Yeah I wont put anything past jeep at this point. They just may be crazy enough to delay the hybrid portion. That'd be a real turn off. Then you have to decide do you want a 19 with the regular 3.6 or wait an unknown amount of time for the "hybrid" version.

Those poor 2.0 orders. They're gonna get their 2018 4 cylinder orders right when the 2019's are showing up.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
They've been working on the body control modules for the 2019 Wranglers since February. He's had a couple 2019 Wrangler mules already. He showed up in a 2019 RAM 1500 mule to pick up my wheels, and that was months ago. The 48V system is straight out of the 2019 V6 RAM (same engine, same 48V system) which they've been working on for years, so fitting it wasn't an all new design. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is getting it soon as well, though he didn't say when. For the Wranglers, he said that the new BCM change after only one year is due to the addition of the 48V system - that's the only reason they're changing it. It looks like 2018 will be the dual 12V battery oddball with the one-off BCM.
Speaking of which, since you seem to have the inside scoop... when is a new Grand Cherokee coming out? The existing one is getting long in the tooth.
Sponsored