Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Info - What's New (So Far)?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
No...because I would have done this crazy thing..."tapped the brakes"...or...since there was open lane to the left, simply switched lanes.
Same could have been done with ACC. It doesn’t prevent manually taking over breaking or acceleration or lane changing.
Sponsored

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Same could have been done with ACC. It doesn’t prevent manually taking over breaking or acceleration or lane changing.
No...but this one (a camry rental)...kept me far enough off the tail that I didn't ever need to react. How ever theirs is programmed, it slowed things down really slowly, and never got closer than a few hundred feet. Like I said...crap system. Maybe others implement better..but that one straight up sucked.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
No...but this one (a camry rental)...kept me far enough off the tail that I didn't ever need to react. How ever theirs is programmed, it slowed things down really slowly, and never got closer than a few hundred feet. Like I said...crap system. Maybe others implement better..but that one straight up sucked.
I’m going with the assumption the ACC if implemented will be same as offered on the Durango which from my research is a very good system. You can set it between 1 and 4 car lengths. Where I drive more than two and you’re constantly dealing with cars cutting in plus even at 80 I can stop quickly if ACC fails and I have to stop. ACC doesn’t remove the need for driver input and vigilance.

I’m hoping it includes crash avoidance. Can’t see how it wouldn’t. That I need. Idiots sometimes stop suddenly for no freakin reason. People drive like morons here. Lol

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I’m hoping it includes crash avoidance. Can’t see how it wouldn’t. That I need. Idiots sometimes stop suddenly for no freakin reason. People drive like morons here. Lol
Close your border and quit allowing the Yankees to come down there and it will get better. They don't know how to drive when there's not any snow on the ground.

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
... Another problem these days is that we have these kiddie engineers who are just adding features that they think are "neat" so that they can put it on their resumes. ...
I seriously doubt that. "Kiddie engineers" who want to do cool things to put on their resume are doing open source projects. People working on software for cars regardless of their age are most likely doing what their product managers tell them.

Oh, and I may not be from '59, but I am from '63, so don't assume I'm a kiddie engineer getting defensive.

<sarcasm>But of course, the real problem is that they aren't writing this stuff in 68020 assembly like we used to do in the old days.</sarcasm>

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I seriously doubt that. "Kiddie engineers" who want to do cool things to put on their resume are doing open source projects. People working on software for cars regardless of their age are most likely doing what their product managers tell them.

Oh, and I may not be from '59, but I am from '63, so don't assume I'm a kiddie engineer getting defensive.

<sarcasm>But of course, the real problem is that they aren't writing this stuff in 68020 assembly like we used to do in the old days.</sarcasm>
Hahahaha awesome post. I’m somewhere between you guys and kiddie engineers - and this is awesome. You hit the nail on the head.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

68020? LMAO... Youngster...

Not that I want to be doing any IBM 370 Assembler any more... Or 8080 / Z80... Or any of the 80x86 series, come to think of it... These days, processors are fast enough and memory is cheap enough that you can get away with just tight 'C' code, although some people prefer a more bloated C++ code.

Project managers often get their input from their junior engineers. Sometimes is as simple as:

JE -- "Hey, I have this neat idea of what we can add to the next version. It will get rid of the ignition switch and we can make the car start and stop by computer control to game the system on the CAFE tests. It will even allow us to add a capability to remotely start a vehicle for a customer or stop the vehicle in case the police ever want to disable vehicle access near a particular location."

MGR -- "Sounds neat... Well, as long as it doesn't cost anymore..."

JE -- "Well, the key fob will probably be around $200-300 for the customer, but it will cost us a lot less, so look at how much money it will make the company when we sell it them the customers since they can't get it from any place else. It's like a legal monopoly!"

MGR -- <dollar-signs-light-up-in-eyes> "Well, since you put it *that* way..."

Musicnjeepz

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKURR
68020? LMAO... Youngster...

Not that I want to be doing any IBM 370 Assembler any more... Or 8080 / Z80... Or any of the 80x86 series, come to think of it... These days, processors are fast enough and memory is cheap enough that you can get away with just tight 'C' code, although some people prefer a more bloated C++ code.

Project managers often get their input from their junior engineers. Sometimes is as simple as:

JE -- "Hey, I have this neat idea of what we can add to the next version. It will get rid of the ignition switch and we can make the car start and stop by computer control to game the system on the CAFE tests. It will even allow us to add a capability to remotely start a vehicle for a customer or stop the vehicle in case the police ever want to disable vehicle access near a particular location."

MGR -- "Sounds neat... Well, as long as it doesn't cost anymore..."

JE -- "Well, the key fob will probably be around $200-300 for the customer, but it will cost us a lot less, so look at how much money it will make the company when we sell it them the customers since they can't get it from any place else. It's like a legal monopoly!"

MGR -- <dollar-signs-light-up-in-eyes> "Well, since you put it *that* way..."
:mic drop: lol.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Any chance we can make an effort to stay on topic?

I have no problem with the discussion - but it’s disrespectful to Jay to trash his thread with all of our water cooler chat.

Don’t want him to decide the thread is trashed and not post whatever the next info drop might be.

Is there a 2019 waiting room? Perhaps this chatter should move there.

Musicnjeepz

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKURR
Any chance we can make an effort to stay on topic?

I have no problem with the discussion - but it’s disrespectful to Jay to trash his thread with all of our water cooler chat.

Don’t want him to decide the thread is trashed and not post whatever the next info drop might be.

Is there a 2019 waiting room? Perhaps this chatter should move there.
Ok....what color do you think bikini is?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You can adjust the distance

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Light blue or pink is my guess.
You can't just say a color without giving an example...

43558889-origpic-b456fa.jpg_0_0_100_100_300_484_85.jpg

product_pink_bikini.jpg

Nawh... I still preferred the olive drab bikini above...
Sponsored