Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Info - What's New (So Far)?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I get a chuckle out of people complaining about growth and advancement.

...On a forum that is literally named after a brand new platform.

...In a thread that is dedicated to a future vehicle that hasn’t even been announced.

This is literally a thread dedicated to discussing what a future vehicle might hold.

Try not to be limited in your vision. We’d still be moving around with horses and carriages with an 80% mortality rate for babies if some people didn’t look ahead to the future.

If you don’t appreciate advancement, I recommend going to an old CJ forum. You will most likely not be satisfied hanging out in a forum dedicated to the next generation of advancement.

Also, someone needs to address this, so I will:

Comment Deleted
Manuals are fun. My wife taught me to drive a manual in college, as her vehicle was a 5 speed MT. Our Jeep was a manual. Before that, it was another 6 speed manual (RSX). They’re a blast to drive. I’m a guy, and an automatic now makes sense for me because I need to be able to do sign language while driving. You should have your own opinion, and I don’t care what it is - until it becomes an affront to others. Demeaning women doesn’t make you sound cool. It makes you look like an ass.

Apologies for going off topic here. I couldn’t just ignore that comment, though. I respect my wife and daughter too much to ignore stuff like that.
Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have exactly zero interest in ACC so I'll be interested in hearing what else the 2019 may bring. I just purchased the 2018 so I won;t be in the market but still interested in what charges come..

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Yeah, everyone says this. Water fording line is 30”.

I don’t understand why a fan can’t be placed above 30”. At a minimum, cool my back (top half of seat).

It’s not like there can’t be wiring below that - otherwise, heated seats wouldn’t be an option.
You’re thinking from the bottom. They water proof above as well. Rain, spray cleaning, etc. holes in seats doesn’t facilitate that.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
You’re thinking from the bottom. They water proof above as well. Rain, spray cleaning, etc. holes in seats doesn’t facilitate that.
They might make it so that it continues to run when it is in 30" of water, but are you going to have a moldy smelling vehicle afterwards? Is the foam in the seats going to absorb water and get all moldy? I think I'll try to keep it out of any water that gets over my floorboard.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
They offer holes in the seats from the factory. Available now. You can order it on a 2018 JL. Perforated leather.

They just don’t have fans in them yet. Thus, my confusion. Stick some fans at least in the back portion - if the butt of the seat is too low.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
They offer holes in the seats from the factory. Available now. You can order it on a 2018 JL. Perforated leather.

They just don’t have fans in them yet. Thus, my confusion. Stick some fans at least in the back portion - if the butt of the seat is too low.
There are some aftermarket devices that I've seen that consist of a 12VDC thermoelectric cooler and fan to provide cool air through your seat.

Something like this:

Jeep your tips up

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS 2.0 Bright White Dual Tops
If you have to constantly adjust your speed, then you should not be using CC in the first place. People doing this are the ones you see in the back end of other cars on the side of the highway. CC when a constant pace - but you still to watch the road ahead. Think ACC is going to tell you of a deer coming your way?

caitlex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I came across this today!! I have been torn between ordering a 2018 or waiting for the 2019. My current car is a lease and needs to be returned September 9th, it has ACC which I LOVE (also Blindspot but that is available on the 18). My torness comes in with do I want to go ahead and order a 18 now or do I wait for the DIESEL! Dealership acted like he had no clue when we can begin ordering the '19 - - assuming he knows but wants to sell the 18's first. GRRRRR Isn't is mid-Sept that we can order 19? Not sure how long I can last without a vehicle.

Then do I want the Rubicon or not? Is the only reason one gets the Rubicon is for offroading? I simply want it loaded, for the most part. They priced a 2018 and it was $54,625 plus another $9999 to have the deal put a 4 inch lift with tires. They say if I get it lifted elsewhere that it 'could' void the warranty? Sooooooo....

1) Main difference in the Rubicon vs Sahara Unlimited?
2) When is ordering begin for the '19?
3) Is diesel worth the wait? Wondering if a diesel will hold an even better value?
4) Besides the ACC and new color, any other main differences with 18 vs 19?

Sponsored

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Regarding the diesel, the EcoDiesel has had... mixed... reliability reports. Lots of early failures, high maintenance costs, long waits for repairs because everything has to come from Italy, expensive repair costs (ditto) for units out of warranty. It's valued in the RAM 1500 because its stump-pulling torque allows pulling a giant trailer while still having tall 3.45 gearing, but our Wranglers aren't going to be pulling giant trailers (max 3600 pound tow rating, largely imposed by the soft springing needed for good offroad performance). For what our Wranglers are rated, the Pentastar in front of the 8 speed tows just fine, I've seen people with RAM 1500's tow 6,000 pounds with the Pentastar in front of the 8 speed without a problem.

In short, I doubt the diesel Wrangler would hold value any better than any other Wrangler. We already know that the Wranglers that hold value best are the base Sport models....

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Glad I came across this today!! I have been torn between ordering a 2018 or waiting for the 2019. My current car is a lease and needs to be returned September 9th, it has ACC which I LOVE (also Blindspot but that is available on the 18). My torness comes in with do I want to go ahead and order a 18 now or do I wait for the DIESEL! Dealership acted like he had no clue when we can begin ordering the '19 - - assuming he knows but wants to sell the 18's first. GRRRRR Isn't is mid-Sept that we can order 19? Not sure how long I can last without a vehicle.

Then do I want the Rubicon or not? Is the only reason one gets the Rubicon is for offroading? I simply want it loaded, for the most part. They priced a 2018 and it was $54,625 plus another $9999 to have the deal put a 4 inch lift with tires. They say if I get it lifted elsewhere that it 'could' void the warranty? Sooooooo....

2) When is ordering begin for the '19?
3) Is diesel worth the wait? Wondering if a diesel will hold an even better value?
4) Besides the ACC and new color, any other main differences with 18 vs 19?
1) Electronic swaybar disconnects, electronic front and rear differential lockers,1.5" wider axles, and larger all terrain tires are standard on the Rubicon. Rock rails are standard equipment on the Rubi, sidesteps are on the sahara. The rubicon has a unique vented hood with huge decals. Rubicon has the option for steel bumpers from the factory. Sahara has the full time 4WD transfer case, that I can't remember the name of.
2) I don't know for sure, but '18 order banks close in September I believe.
3) Probably not worth the wait for you, as I would expect the diesel to work out just like the '18 2.0 turbo and be delayed for about 8 months.
4) We don't know yet.

I think you would be better off with the Sahara if you don't plan on off roading, and are going to immediately lift the jeep and put on bigger tires. It can be optioned out the same in every other way except for the steel bumpers. Also, your dealer is gouging you hard on the price for that lift.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
For Rubicon:
1) Electric lockers.
2) Electric sway bar disconnect
3) "Highline" fenders
4) 33" tires standard
5) 4:1 transfer case.
6) Stronger front axle.
7) Comes with rock rails to protect your rocker panels from rocks

For Sahara:
1) Optional full-time 2.53:1 transfer case
2) Better gas mileage than the Rubicon due to less weight, more street-oriented tires, lower to ground, more aerodynamic fenders. (Suggested that Rubicon is roughly 1 mpg less than Sahara).
3) If ordered with limit-slip differential, same strength rear axle as Rubicon.
4) Comes with steps to make getting in easier.

It all depends on whether you want to do hard-core rock crawling or fire road rambling. Rubicons are rock crawlers, Saharas are fire road ramblers and beach buggies.

On pavement, the Sahara behaves better due to being lower to the ground. On snow, a Sahara with the full-time transfer case behaves better. The Sahara is also easier to get into due to the steps and being lower to the ground.

So it's all about your use case.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Some points off what I’ve read on this thread on ACC.

As to taking away from the driving experience, I don’t see this being different than standard cruise control since it’s only utilized when speed can be maintained versus stop and go traffic. As with standard one still maintains vigilance of what’s ahead. However, should something change quicker than attention span or reflexes can handle it provides an extra layer of protection by reducing speed. Not sure if it would include collision avoidance which would better improve safety. I hope that’s included.

As to cost. Is there paying too much for safety? Each will decide for themselves. I value my family’s safety. This option could be regarded as priceless. That’s how I view it. Regret having gotten my Durango without it. Now can’t added.

Early on not many vehicles had ACC. Same with rear cameras. That’s changing. For those wanting to sell down the road to another seeking a DD not having this feature may affect selling. The guy predominantly motivated with an off-road vehicle won’t care but in most cities that’s not the majority.

It doesn’t have to be turned on. That’s huge. Seem some think this will impact their lives. It won’t. At least not negatively. Might save their life, however.

At a minimum, makes long highway trips more bearable. Especially where I live where idiots are handed licenses. I swear they must have paid someone off to acquire. No way they passed any test. Morons make ACC almost mandatory.
Sponsored