Sponsored

2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Info - What's New (So Far)?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Subscribed

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
ACC will never be a desired feature for me
You do realize all cars with ACC have a button to disable the 'adaptive' component? So you can either maintain your speed ('traditional' CC) or maintain your spacing in traffic flow ('adaptive' CC). ACC just gives you more options.

I travel rural byways a lot, where passing opportunities are few and far between. I want to maintain a safe following distance from the car in front of me unless I have an opportunity+desire to pass. ACC makes this type of travel much less tedious.

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize all cars with ACC have a button to disable the 'adaptive' component? So you can either maintain your speed ('traditional' CC) or maintain your spacing in traffic flow ('adaptive' CC). ACC just gives you more options.

I travel rural byways a lot, where passing opportunities are few and far between. I want to maintain a safe following distance from the car in front of me unless I have an opportunity+desire to pass. ACC makes this type of travel much less tedious.
Sure, but, at least with mine, you have to turn it off every time you restart the car and can't do it while you're already on cruise (and mine isn't a button, it is a menu option)

MattP725

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion (Future Hopeful JL Owner)
ACC is one of the worst inventions in the history of bad inventions, at least, IMPO.

When I set the cruise, I expect to stay at that speed unless I have to adjust due to conditions. If someone is going slower ahead of me, I will get closer to them and then overtake in the proper lane and then resume my original position when clear and not lose speed (again unless conditions warrant otherwise). With ACC, the car reads the next car ahead of you and slows you down so you never overtake them and just lose speed.

Here's an example scenario I found myself in...
Driving down a three lane, lightly traveled 65 MPH zone, I set my cruise to 73 and take position in the center lane so that slower traffic on the right is free to do whatever it is they do at 35 MPH. A few miles in, a car is in the same lane as me and they're doing ~65 MPH on cruise. I don't even realize that my car starts slowing me down to keep a safe braking distance from the car ahead of me. The left lane is completely clear. My expectation, using normal CC, is that I'd catch-up to the slower car, move to the left, overtake, move back to the middle when clear. Thanks to ACC, I never get any closer to the other car. When I do realize what's going on, I move to the left lane and the car senses that it is clear. The CC slams on the gas to propel me back to my original 73. That's not the experience I'm going for

What you are describing is NON adaptive cruise control (turn off the feature). For someone that lives in a congested area where overtaking isn't a solution on a crowded commuter highway, ACC is amazing and saves you the mental and physical fatigue of constantly adjusting your speed.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Sure, but, at least with mine, you have to turn it off every time you restart the car and can't do it while you're already on cruise (and mine isn't a button, it is a menu option)
I'm sure you can pull a fuse or use some kind of programmer to permanently disable it if disabling it is difficult.

My GTI has an 'ACC Off' button right on the dash, but I've never had cause to use it. If I want to pass, the system lets me stomp the accelerator, change lanes, and even shift (6MT) without losing the ACC set speed+spacing. It's truly 'there when you want it, gone when you don't'.

MattP725

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion (Future Hopeful JL Owner)
Its a menu option on my car too but its a permanent change. When you turn it off it stays off until you turn it back on. The feature isn't the problem in your case... its the implementation.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Well that's one of the worst names for a color i've ever heard.

That said, If it's a lighter blue i'm in. Bikini Blue? hmm, maybe not. Someone would have had to be on something really special to decide that was the name they wanted.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'm not sure if you're being funny Scott....although Pink would be the most appropriate color for female attire...

Talking seriously: I just don't see how the marketing numbers would be there for such a stock color. I could be wrong.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
ACC is one of the worst inventions in the history of bad inventions, at least, IMPO.

When I set the cruise, I expect to stay at that speed unless I have to adjust due to conditions. If someone is going slower ahead of me, I will get closer to them and then overtake in the proper lane and then resume my original position when clear and not lose speed (again unless conditions warrant otherwise). With ACC, the car reads the next car ahead of you and slows you down so you never overtake them and just lose speed.

Here's an example scenario I found myself in...
Driving down a three lane, lightly traveled 65 MPH zone, I set my cruise to 73 and take position in the center lane so that slower traffic on the right is free to do whatever it is they do at 35 MPH. A few miles in, a car is in the same lane as me and they're doing ~65 MPH on cruise. I don't even realize that my car starts slowing me down to keep a safe braking distance from the car ahead of me. The left lane is completely clear. My expectation, using normal CC, is that I'd catch-up to the slower car, move to the left, overtake, move back to the middle when clear. Thanks to ACC, I never get any closer to the other car. When I do realize what's going on, I move to the left lane and the car senses that it is clear. The CC slams on the gas to propel me back to my original 73. That's not the experience I'm going for

I get how it doesn't work for you. And I'm not necessarily a fan of it either, especially if I have to pay more for it. But I'm also a frequent speedometer checker (it's just me) so I'd probably notice it. I imagine for some it's a safety features that FCA marketing research has shown, that in the absence of its being offered, too many prospective customers bought other model vehicles enough to justify offering it.

Sponsored

boon4376

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5
Wonder how the ACC will play with aftermarket or steel bumpers?

I crashed my 2014 Grand Cherokee equipped with this, and that glass eyeball radar thing in the front. Getting that repaired was a huge pain. Just a slight misalignment would throw off the radar. It took several trips to the dealer and calibrations to get it working right again.

I'm assuming it won't be compatible with aftermarket bumpers, unless they are really innovative and put it higher in the grill.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mine is a button on the steering wheel. I never switch to regular cruise control, though, as I can just hit the accelerator. I like that it'll even slow down to a stop.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’ve got ACC in my Honda Pilot and can understand the frustration of trying to overtake another car when your own vehicle has slowed to match the same speed. Another annoyance is when someone changes into your lane and is too close...this causes the ACC to suddenly brake hard to ensure the safe distance is maintained. The good thing at least in the pilot is you can override ACC just by accelerating. Once you’re off the gas the ACC kicks back in automatically.

Not sure how they’ll add this to the wrangler since most instances are in the grill or bumpers. Don’t think this would be added to the windshield but it could be.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm betting that Bikini is the old Furious Fuschia color.

BikiniJK.jpg

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I would prefer just a throttle lock type of cruise control so that it doesn't keep trying to adjust the speed -- it just sets a particular throttle position / fuel flow and you deal with whatever speed that gives you. This tends to give better fuel economy than trying to maintain a set speed from what I've gathered, but it might not be acceptable if you live somewhere that has long downhill sections where this could cause you to overspeed.
Sponsored