Sponsored

2019 Jeep Cherokee needs new engine!!

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
My wife's 2019 Cherokee High Altitude with 3.2 V-6 had a check engine light come on last Thursday. That evening I checked what the light was for and my reader said it was for a #6 cylinder misfire. Temps were in the 90's so I thought it might be a glitch and cleared the code.

On Saturday we spent some time with her mom and mine to do some shopping. Picked my mom up in my Wrangler as she hadn't ridden in it yet. Then drove to my house and took the Cherokee to pick up the wife's mom too as I don't think she could get into the Wrangler. She used to complain how high my Liberty was.

We drove from store to store and out for dinner with the Cherokee with no issues. The check engine light stayed off and I figured we were in the clear. The Cherokee only has 23,000 miles on it so it shouldn't have any major issues.

On Monday I got a call from my wife and she told me the check engine light came on again. I took the Jeep into the dealership and got a loaner. On Wednesday I was told that it blew a head gasket while they were trying to diagnose the issue.

On Thursday I called to find out the status and found out the service writer who was working with me no longer worked at the dealership. Bummer as he was easy to work with. They forwarded me to someone else and I left a message for him to call me back.

I called back an hour later to check on the status of the service. I was finally told it was finished so I mentioned I'd be there to pick it up in a bit. When I got to the dealership it was like a ghost town. They close at 6 and I got there at 5:30. When I finally tracked someone down they couldn't find the key fob, anywhere.

I was asked who had told me who said it was ready and I replied someone named Susan told me that the computer said it was complete. "WE DON'T HAVE ANYONE WITH THAT NAME WHO WORKS HERE" was what I was told. As I'm thinking hard who might have told me, the worker said, "We do have a SUE". Boy, I felt stupid. Imagine me thinking someone called Sue could actually be also named Susan!

I called on Friday to see what was up with the vehicle and was connected to the service manager after I mentioned I had stopped in the previous evening to pick it up as I was told it was ready. I again got another voice mail and left a message.

Didn't get a call from the service manager but got a call eventually from the person now responsible for my repair. He told me that they had to order a new engine for the Cherokee which surprised me as I was expecting just a head gasket. The Jeep ran perfectly fine until last week.

He told me they replaced the rockers as well as the head gasket but the same miss was happening. Earlier they swapped the coil with a different cylinder but #6 still had an issue. Guess the good thing is it is under warranty and I have a loaner.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else with the 3.2 Liter V-6? My daughter had a 2014 Cherokee Trail Hawk with the 4 banger but had nothing but problems. Recall after recall and not starting on a whim. Freaked her out and got rid of it as she didn't want to get stranded with her kids somewhere.

Right now my wife is not too thrilled either about our current issue. She is questioning the reliability of her transportation. I had to remind her that the 2008 Liberty I just sold had 229,000 miles with zero major issues. Guess we'll find out next week how it all shakes out.
Sponsored