2019 factory order vs. 2018 on dealer lot

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
First post. This forum has been a tremendous help. Although I haven't ordered yet, I'm having a similar "dilemma" as OP. After deciding on a 19 Moab, I received build quotes from a few of the suggested dealers (thanks again to this forum). One of the dealerships has a 2018 on the lot - exact match except not my first color choice (second choice). They mentioned they had it on the lot but I decided to secure the 19 quote first, then see if there are any incentives or deals on the 18. If they can go even lower than the quoted below invoice price, I am very tempted to take it off the lot. As suggested, I would check the steering at highway speeds, and check the tire pressure. I can turn a wrench, but don't know squat about welds. My question: are the FCA TSBs automatically applied to dealer stock vehicles prior to sale? I assume Recall would be mandatory - not sure about all the other software "flashes", etc? Thanks
Sponsored

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner
I placed a factory order for a 2019 JLR a little over a month ago and from looking at some of the turnaround times, I could get mine anytime now or it can be the end of February and i'll still be in D1 status. I started looking at dealer inventory for different zip codes to see if there is any that is close to my spec and I found one less than 15 miles away that matches my spec 95% but it is a 2018 model.

It doesn't have the trailer tow HD electrical package and remote proximity keyless entry that I have on my factory order but has the tan leather package. I only wanted the trailer package cause it came with the aux switches and I can live without the remote proximity keyless entry especially if the doors are off half the year. However, I don't really like how the tan leather seats look and I prefer the premium cloth. Is it easy to add the trailer package / aux switches afterwards?

Also, I was able to get 6.3% off invoice price on my factory order and without any negotiating it looks like the 2018 on the dealer lot is a little over 10% off invoice price (not MSRP). I'm guessing I can negotiate and get more off the 2018.

Should I continue to wait for the 2019 with the exact specs I want or just go with the 2018?
Can I ask you which dealer it is?

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
As you have seen here some are ordered in Dec and got them in Dec. Don't mind waiting (too much) if they can give a valid reason.
Like I said...I get it...it's hard to show patience. But you have to remember, your order went through, not one, but TWO major holidays. It may just be me, but I would count it a blessing that your jeep is being built in January. Last thing I would want is some line worker haphazardly getting through his shift before he's off for Christmas and/or New Years. And while I agree there is little rhyme or reason to why some take longer than others (this is NO different than last year), sometimes it's a matter of what options you are getting and the color. Case in point, last year, once Sting Gray became available, they were being turn around really quickly for some reason. Like, in a matter of days...while other colors with fewer options were taking longer. Didn't really make sense, but this kind of thing is nothing new.

While I do think sending a letter to the CEO, a month and a half after you placed an order, which again, went through two holidays was not something I would have probably done, it looks like if it got you expedited, it worked. The bright side is, before too long you will have your jeep and the frustrations of having to wait will be gone.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
I was contemplating the same, i decided to order a 19'. What swayed me was that the 18' is already a year old. Would have to be a great deal for me to go with the 18'. I was content with 6% under invoice on a 19' and did not feel like haggling with multiple dealers or traveling. I also am in no real hurry and the dealer i went through is 10min from my house.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I don't think there is much difference between an '18 and '19. And if you ever do sell it the value will have more to do with the mileage than the model year.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I ordered mine on 19 November and it was delivered on 28 December. I looked at Jeeps every day and it was difficult not bothering my dealer lol. But I'm super excited to have her and the wait was worth getting what I wanted and not settling for what was on a dealer's lot.
Sponsored