2019 factory order vs. 2018 on dealer lot

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I placed a factory order for a 2019 JLR a little over a month ago and from looking at some of the turnaround times, I could get mine anytime now or it can be the end of February and i'll still be in D1 status. I started looking at dealer inventory for different zip codes to see if there is any that is close to my spec and I found one less than 15 miles away that matches my spec 95% but it is a 2018 model.

It doesn't have the trailer tow HD electrical package and remote proximity keyless entry that I have on my factory order but has the tan leather package. I only wanted the trailer package cause it came with the aux switches and I can live without the remote proximity keyless entry especially if the doors are off half the year. However, I don't really like how the tan leather seats look and I prefer the premium cloth. Is it easy to add the trailer package / aux switches afterwards?

Also, I was able to get 6.3% off invoice price on my factory order and without any negotiating it looks like the 2018 on the dealer lot is a little over 10% off invoice price (not MSRP). I'm guessing I can negotiate and get more off the 2018.

Should I continue to wait for the 2019 with the exact specs I want or just go with the 2018?
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Just my .02, but my decision in this circumstance would be based on the following...

1) Does the one on the lot check out? What I mean, is the steering perfect at the proper tire pressures? Are the welds good? Any issues at all that you can tell? How long have they had it on the lot? (ie. if for a long time, I would have concerns since these things are in such high demand)

2) Do you think you will regret not getting exactly what you want? Will you grow tired of the interior color? Although you could always add seat covers if you want. I wouldn't let the aux package stop me because it sounds like you are saving quite a bit of money. So you could put that toward the tow/aux add-on.

3) While I know you have a "want it now" attitude, will you regret not waiting a few months from now to get exactly what you want?

In the end, my biggest determining factor would be the vibe I got from the test drive.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
Also, I was able to get 6.3% off invoice price on my factory order and without any negotiating it looks like the 2018 on the dealer lot is a little over 10% off invoice price (not MSRP). I'm guessing I can negotiate and get more off the 2018.
It would be worth a quick call to that dealer to find out what the actual price is on that unit on the lot. It sounds like you may be basing your comment off the price listed on the website, and dealers are notorious for listing those prices with every imaginable incentive applied to them, even the ones that are impossible (literally or practically) to combine.

Short version - don't go down this path until you're sure you know the price of the Jeep you're pondering.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Considering that lots are filled with overproduced 2018s you have more bargaining power. Just make sure the steering is perfect, the track bar welds are great and all other frame welds are great if u don't know welds bring someone who does and have them put it on a lift for u to examine thoroughly. I'd be pushing for 9% or more below invoice.

The downside is that there is still a reasonably good chance that NHSTA is going to force a big recall on 2018s for the frame welds when their investigation is over. This is not the track bar recall either.

Personally I am far happier with my replacement 2019 than my horrid 2018 with bad welds and radio issues

OP
OP
dcwrangler

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just my .02, but my decision in this circumstance would be based on the following...

1) Does the one on the lot check out? What I mean, is the steering perfect at the proper tire pressures? Are the welds good? Any issues at all that you can tell? How long have they had it on the lot? (ie. if for a long time, I would have concerns since these things are in such high demand)

2) Do you think you will regret not getting exactly what you want? Will you grow tired of the interior color? Although you could always add seat covers if you want. I wouldn't let the aux package stop me because it sounds like you are saving quite a bit of money. So you could put that toward the tow/aux add-on.

3) While I know you have a "want it now" attitude, will you regret not waiting a few months from now to get exactly what you want?

In the end, my biggest determining factor would be the vibe I got from the test drive.
My wife just reminded me the 2018 was the same jeep we test drove initially when I was shopping around. However, I didn't know about the steering issues then so didn't pay much attention / take it on the freeway. I test drove it sometime in November so its been on the lot at least 2 months if not longer. We did notice the passenger seat was funky and it would not reset after folding it to access the back seats.

Can you tell from the sticker how old of a build it is? The infotainment package got bumped form $1495 to $1595 at some point so its not super old. Here is the sticker: https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C4HJXCN7JW286220

I agree on your third point though, I mean if that jeep has any issues down the line I would be thinking I should have just waited for my factory order.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dcwrangler

dcwrangler

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Considering that lots are filled with overproduced 2018s you have more bargaining power. Just make sure the steering is perfect, the track bar welds are great and all other frame welds are great if u don't know welds bring someone who does and have them put it on a lift for u to examine thoroughly. I'd be pushing for 9% or more below invoice.

The downside is that there is still a reasonably good chance that NHSTA is going to force a big recall on 2018s for the frame welds when their investigation is over. This is not the track bar recall either.

Personally I am far happier with my replacement 2019 than my horrid 2018 with bad welds and radio issues
Yea thats my biggest fear is I will end up with a lemon and go through the whole process of getting it fixed / replaced etc than just wait it out for another month or two and get my factory order. How do you convince a dealer to have a brand new jeep lifted and checked out by a tech?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered mine 11/26 and it has been in D status for 5-1/2 weeks. A week ago I searched on the Jeep site for on lot cars matching mine. Limited to 150 miles by the search engine I checked Omaha, Des Moines, Minnapolis, Chicago and Denver. Found one in Cheyenne with everything I ordered plus a couple of items I could live with. But it was a 2018. Contacted the dealer and he said it had been on his lot for 90 days. But before we could discuss price (including a substantial discount for being a year old) it suddenly sold. He then sent me window stickers of all kinds of Wranglers. I told him no.

Yesterday I called Jeep Chat and they said still in D which they said is right on schedule. So I sent an email to the FCA CEO. This morning I had an email from the Executive Relations Manager that he had expedited it and it was now in the frame shop and that he would expedite the shipping I checked with JC and they said it had moved to paint. (Do you think it was dishonest for me to tell the CEO that I am Beyonce's cousin?).

A few minutes later the Cheyenne dealer sent me a window sticker of one they found that was an exact match to my order (wonder if it was mine being generated at the factory). I called but he was traveling and hasn't gotten back to me on where it is located or what their price will be. If a good price and close to Cheyenne (I live 450 miles from there) then I can use my $1,000 loyalty certificate that expires the end of this month. I may not be able to use it on my ordered one if it is not here by end of the month.

May have a hard choice to make soon just like you.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I would just stick with the original order. Tan interior leather vs black cloth is a big difference. Yes, you can add the aux switches later, at an added cost and labor. If you add them yourself, it may not be covered under warranty. As far as the proximity keys are concerned, you say you will only have the doors on 6 months of the year. Guess what, those other days when your doors are on are going to be when you want the proximity key the most, when its raining or cold out.

As far as the 2018 vs 2019 weld argument people are trying to make, once an issue is identified, Jeep is going to address and fix it right away. They aren't going to wait until the next model year to address it. That would be incredibly short sighted and stupid. One day Jeep was making 2018s. The next day they were producing 2019s. They didn't say "ok, now its November 1, now we fix the weld issue."

I agree on your third point though, I mean if that jeep has any issues down the line I would be thinking I should have just waited for my factory order.
Yea thats my biggest fear is I will end up with a lemon and go through the whole process of getting it fixed / replaced etc than just wait it out for another month or two and get my factory order. How do you convince a dealer to have a brand new jeep lifted and checked out by a tech?
This is also a flawed argument, no matter which one you buy, if there any issues, you will think you should have bought the other one.

And for what its worth, my 2019 order took 6 weeks. And I have no issues after 1200 miles. Most people don't have issues. Don't forget that. When I placed my order, two dealers told me they normally took 6-8 weeks to fill, not 6-8 months like some posts would have you believe.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I ordered mine 11/26 and it has been in D status for 5-1/2 weeks. A week ago I searched on the Jeep site for on lot cars matching mine. Limited to 150 miles by the search engine I checked Omaha, Des Moines, Minnapolis, Chicago and Denver. Found one in Cheyenne with everything I ordered plus a couple of items I could live with. But it was a 2018. Contacted the dealer and he said it had been on his lot for 90 days. But before we could discuss price (including a substantial discount for being a year old) it suddenly sold. He then sent me window stickers of all kinds of Wranglers. I told him no.

Yesterday I called Jeep Chat and they said still in D which they said is right on schedule. So I sent an email to the FCA CEO. This morning I had an email from the Executive Relations Manager that he had expedited it and it was now in the frame shop and that he would expedite the shipping I checked with JC and they said it had moved to paint. (Do you think it was dishonest for me to tell the CEO that I am Beyonce's cousin?).

A few minutes later the Cheyenne dealer sent me a window sticker of one they found that was an exact match to my order (wonder if it was mine being generated at the factory). I called but he was traveling and hasn't gotten back to me on where it is located or what their price will be. If a good price and close to Cheyenne (I live 450 miles from there) then I can use my $1,000 loyalty certificate that expires the end of this month. I may not be able to use it on my ordered one if it is not here by end of the month.

May have a hard choice to make soon just like you.
To be honest...I know it's hard, but I would suggest having some patience. When i ordered mine back in June, I was told it would be 8-10 weeks. I picked it up on Aug. 3rd. My complete timeline is in my signature.

You are ordering at peak time, so I'm actually a little surprised they are expediting at this point. You'll have your Jeep before you know it. I know the loyalty bonus may expire...but with holidays and high demand, it would have been tough to do much better than they are.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest...I know it's hard, but I would suggest having some patience. When i ordered mine back in June, I was told it would be 8-10 weeks. I picked it up on Aug. 3rd. My complete timeline is in my signature.

You are ordering at peak time, so I'm actually a little surprised they are expediting at this point. You'll have your Jeep before you know it. I know the loyalty bonus may expire...but with holidays and high demand, it would have been tough to do much better than they are.

Just my opinion.
As you have seen here some are ordered in Dec and got them in Dec. Don't mind waiting (too much) if they can give a valid reason.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I would just stick with the original order. Tan interior leather vs black cloth is a big difference. Yes, you can add the aux switches later, at an added cost and labor. If you add them yourself, it may not be covered under warranty. As far as the proximity keys are concerned, you say you will only have the doors on 6 months of the year. Guess what, those other days when your doors are on are going to be when you want the proximity key the most, when its raining or cold out.

As far as the 2018 vs 2019 weld argument people are trying to make, once an issue is identified, Jeep is going to address and fix it right away. They aren't going to wait until the next model year to address it. That would be incredibly short sighted and stupid. One day Jeep was making 2018s. The next day they were producing 2019s. They didn't say "ok, now its November 1, now we fix the weld issue."

This is also a flawed argument, no matter which one you buy, if there any issues, you will think you should have bought the other one.

And for what its worth, my 2019 order took 6 weeks. And I have no issues after 1200 miles. Most people don't have issues. Don't forget that. When I placed my order, two dealers told me they normally took 6-8 weeks to fill, not 6-8 months like some posts would have you believe.
What do you mean "would have you believe"? Yes, many ordered before 2019 production started so they shouldn't count that time but many have also waited in different stages - D, D1, JB, I, KZ - a long time. So when you see people after 3 legitimate months not yet receiving their order but others getting them in 3 to 4 weeks there needs to be more accountability on Jeep's part as to why.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
What do you mean "would have you believe"? Yes, many ordered before 2019 production started so they shouldn't count that time but many have also waited in different stages - D, D1, JB, I, KZ - a long time. So when you see people after 3 legitimate months not yet receiving their order but others getting them in 3 to 4 weeks there needs to be more accountability on Jeep's part as to why.
Yes, some people have waited several months for their orders, but it doesn't mean that it is common. On the flip side some people report getting their order in two weeks. Also, not common. But I am willing to bet the people waiting on orders are posting far more often than those with quick orders, because they are upset. Not sure how you want to "hold Jeep accountable". They build with the parts they have. They aren't going to stop production because one of their vendors get held up on certain parts. Its a global supply chain, stuff happens. Yes, it can be frustrating, but what do you expect?

I placed my order on Oct 16 (before 2019 production began) for a fairly loaded 2 door Rubicon. Steel bumpers and the 3.6 Auto were both on restriction at the time. I went D1 around Nov 2, and I drove it home Dec 2. I know someone else that placed and order about a week after I did, but didn't get his until 3-4 weeks after me.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, some people have waited several months for their orders, but it doesn't mean that it is common. On the flip side some people report getting their order in two weeks. Also, not common. But I am willing to bet the people waiting on orders are posting far more often than those with quick orders, because they are upset. Not sure how you want to "hold Jeep accountable". They build with the parts they have. They aren't going to stop production because one of their vendors get held up on certain parts. Its a global supply chain, stuff happens. Yes, it can be frustrating, but what do you expect?

I placed my order on Oct 16 (before 2019 production began) for a fairly loaded 2 door Rubicon. Steel bumpers and the 3.6 Auto were both on restriction at the time. I went D1 around Nov 2, and I drove it home Dec 2. I know someone else that placed and order about a week after I did, but didn't get his until 3-4 weeks after me.
Like others here have said, customer service says they should keep customers informed on delays. D and D1 mean they have specific parts assigned and ready to go. Jeep tells the frame vendor 88 seconds before they need a specific frame and it gets built and sent to paint who also has an 88 second notice. And then on to assembly. So if there is a sudden delay they know why, it is in their system, and they should let their customers know if they want to know. Knowledge can calm a customer in most cases. Lack of knowledge usually upsets a customer.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Just wrap that into the deal...and bring ur own tech. If they refuse walk away. Also only deal with the sales manager or gm
Sponsored