2019 eTorque

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Atmospheric heat is not what caused the fires. If you think that your steering wheel is hot try grabbing the exhaust pipe after driving a while. Given the solution that Jeep came up with and the location of the 48V battery I would assume that the heat was being absorbed from the exhaust system. If you take a look at the photos and videos that are available the exhaust runs parallel to the 48V battery. In your house I'm sure you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from the attic out of your living space. And, using the same concept, in your 2.0 you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from your exhaust out of the 48V battery. Now I do not have any facts to back me up, this is simply my opinion given what I have been able learn about the fires and how Jeep resolved the issue and their plan to prevent any future fires. If this solution did not have total confidence Jeep would never release the 2.0 to the public. If they have a problem and they only half way fix it and a home burns down or there is a fatality Jeep would be liable. And if I can figure that out the people at Jeep who are much smarter than I am know that too.
No, atmospheric heat didn't cause it. A crappy design with batteries and wiring everywhere running a highly sophisticated engine is what caused it. And his point is valid...if they caught fire in Ohio they'll catch fire anywhere. From what has been presented, all FCA did is cover the battery with a blanket. Seems like a stupid "fix" to the average person. So now we've seen Ram 1500s and Jeep JLs with the eTorque system both catch fire.

And as far as FCA having confidence in the product or they wouldn't have released it... I'd direct you to the countless threads on frame brackets falling off, steering wheels locking up, JLs dancing all over the lane while trying to drive straight, etc. Initial quality control is not FCA's strong suit.
Sponsored

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Atmospheric heat is not what caused the fires. If you think that your steering wheel is hot try grabbing the exhaust pipe after driving a while. Given the solution that Jeep came up with and the location of the 48V battery I would assume that the heat was being absorbed from the exhaust system. If you take a look at the photos and videos that are available the exhaust runs parallel to the 48V battery. In your house I'm sure you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from the attic out of your living space. And, using the same concept, in your 2.0 you have a layer of insulation to keep the radiant heat from your exhaust out of the 48V battery. Now I do not have any facts to back me up, this is simply my opinion given what I have been able learn about the fires and how Jeep resolved the issue and their plan to prevent any future fires. If this solution did not have total confidence Jeep would never release the 2.0 to the public. If they have a problem and they only half way fix it and a home burns down or there is a fatality Jeep would be liable. And if I can figure that out the people at Jeep who are much smarter than I am know that too.
Atmospheric temp, i feel is likely since they started on fire when parked. I have heard nothing about them just being driven. Second atmospheric temp has been known to cause laptop lithium ion and lipo batteried to overheat and combust.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Heat shields are very, very effective. Because the heat has to go from source, radiate to the shield, conduct to the other side, and radiate to the thing you're protecting. Radiating is a really poor way to heat things up, so this is why heat shields work.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zj
If you read the 2.0 threads it seems that it was excessive resistance in wiring under the seat that caused the fires. That was what I had heard in the beginning then it got switched to a cloth cover then the state of Ohio confirmed that it was wiring. Like I said Jeep is not full of idiots, they fixed the wires and no more fires.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Autoline interview with FCA on e-torque system, interesting

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If you read the 2.0 threads it seems that it was excessive resistance in wiring under the seat that caused the fires. That was what I had heard in the beginning then it got switched to a cloth cover then the state of Ohio confirmed that it was wiring. Like I said Jeep is not full of idiots, they fixed the wires and no more fires.
Yes this , not weather. Facts and reading are not people’s way anymore lol Fake news is more interesting. Who cares if it’s true. Lol thanks
Sponsored

Reactions: VNT