OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had a 99 TJ that leaked at the rear main seal for years. I was lucky just a few drops on the driveway every week or two. Prevailing wisdom/advice for the TJ owners was due to it being such a PITA job, to just let it go unless it got really bad.

It is beyond shocking that after all these years (two decades!) Jeep still hasn't figured out a reliable means to prevent rear main seal leaks at that location.
Just need to drop oil pan. I had to replace my oil pan so rear main is easy. The JL trans needs to be dropped. Should have kept my TJ when I got the JL.
Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just need to drop oil pan. I had to replace my oil pan so rear main is easy. The JL trans needs to be dropped. Should have kept my TJ when I got the JL.
Practically every vehicle on the road these days has to drop the tranny to replace the rear main seal. If you have recurring problems with the rear main though, you might have a more serious problem like worn bearings on the crankshaft or an out of round shaft.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I had my rear sealed fixed twice. On the second go they found that the upper oil pan was defective causing it to tweak the seal. So far so good with a new oil pan in.

might be worth checking

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
NCDS sided with Jeep. They say they are neutral. Haha
Hey maybe they just aren't educated in the lemon law of my state. Time for a lawyer.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You stated before someone from jeep offered to do a buy back for you but you got pissed off and hung up? Now they won't buy it back, lol?!

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You stated before someone from jeep offered to do a buy back for you but you got pissed off and hung up? Now they won't buy it back, lol?!
No someone from FCA called and offered money to take it back to the dealer for repair. I just got it back 2 weeks before. I'm tired of wasting time and money bringing it to the dealer. If the first, second and third seal failed id imagine there is a problem and 4th will fail.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense.

If you do get stuck with the vehicle and they do a repair again ask them to change out the oil pan. There have been a few threads around here where people had to get the seal replaced multiple times until they tried replacing the oil pan. The oil pan was warped from the factory.

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Ahhhhhh, that makes more sense.

If you do get stuck with the vehicle and they do a repair again ask them to change out the oil pan. There have been a few threads around here where people had to get the seal replaced multiple times until they tried replacing the oil pan. The oil pan was warped from the factory. I
Ive had enough sad to say. I didnt buy an extended warranty and will sell it before the 3 years is up. I was planned on doing repairs after warranty, when stuff starts going. Not expecting issues before. I will look into the oil pan though.
Thanks
Sponsored