2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Around 3k miles I noticed a oil leak so I took it in. Rear main seal and clutch had to be replaced. I was told I will smell the clutch breaking in for a couple hundred miles. It was horrible and never went away. I decided to look underneath and oil was still leaking. At 5k it went back in for another rear main and clutch. They had the Jeep for 2 months bc Covid.

I picked it up yesterday. I decided to have a look. Still oil on the transmission and they put two studs on the bottom of the trans. Are these supposed to be for braces up top?

Also the paperwork states the pvc hose was loose and leaking. I call bs. I forum member told me to check the connections and filter housing for leaks. They were dry.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 FB_IMG_1590768404573
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 FB_IMG_1590768449275
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 20200529_100434
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 20200529_100439
Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Those studs definitely either not in the right place or just not stock.... It's almost like they lost the original bolts and used whatever they had laying around that would fit. Just going on looks alone it seems they did a shitty job.

Mine is going in soon for RMS leak as well. On a positive note they did agree to install a Centerforce Clutch with no extra charge in labor.

Hopefully you get this sorted quickly.

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Thanks you also.
Ive had a 97 TJ for 15 years and just replaced the rear main recently.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
That is a possibility, along with the 6 quarts of oil people are saying the dealerships prefer to refill with lol.

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
That is a possibility, along with the 6 quarts of oil people are saying the dealerships prefer to refill with lol.
It looked a little over full from the factory. 1st oil change was on the money.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd find another dealership. They could have at least wiped the oil off the case. And those studs?? Did you find out what they're for or did the tech just grab them because he couldn't locate the original bolts?

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'd find another dealership. They could have at least wiped the oil off the case. And those studs?? Did you find out what they're for or did the tech just grab them because he couldn't locate the original bolts?
Not yet. I found it is mounting hardware. I looked on ebay at a complete assembly for sale and it might hold a bracket on top passenger side.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not yet. I found it is mounting hardware. I looked on ebay at a complete assembly for sale and it might hold a bracket on top passenger side.
It could be for a different model Jeep....no telling.

OP
OP

Budiceman

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Wiped the oil off Friday and still dripping.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 20200601_113113
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019 5k miles rear main seal and clutch #2 20200601_113120

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Damn man, they didn't fix squat. Honestly.... I wouldn't take it back to them. Leave a truthful review on google so other people can learn from your experience and take it to another dealership.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's really messed up. What dealership did the work?

They had it for 2 months!!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Those studs belong on top of the transmission and hold a harness bracket in place. They are a pain in the butt to get in so I'm not surprised they took the cheap way out and put them elsewhere.

Even without the oil leak, that's definitely a "Fix It Again Tony" situation....

You might want to ask them for the rest of the "extra nuts and bolts" they found while changing the clutch...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those studs belong on top of the transmission and hold a harness bracket in place. They are a pain in the butt to get in so I'm not surprised they took the cheap way out and put them elsewhere.

Even without the oil leak, that's definitely a "Fix It Again Tony" situation....

You might want to ask them for the rest of the "extra nuts and bolts" they found while changing the clutch...
When I needed the spark plugs replaced on my 6.4l Hemi in the RAM, I asked a friend who worked at a local dealership what it would cost and could I trust them to do the work. He said the passenger side two plugs are so difficult to access they usually just change 6 plugs and say they did all 8. So I did them myself...