2019 2 dr wrangler 2.0L 4 cylinder - towing trailer without brakes

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I just bought a little teardrop travel trailer that I thought came with brakes. I just found out it doesn't have brakes. It weighs 1250 lbs. I have no rear seat in my JL and will have it loaded with about 200 lbs of camping gear and driver and passenger combined weight is 270 lbs. Is this combination of weight and no trailer brakes safely doable? Does anyone here have a similar setup or experience?
Sponsored

Reactions: aai

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I just bought a little teardrop travel trailer that I thought came with brakes. I just found out it doesn't have brakes. It weighs 1250 lbs. I have no rear seat in my JL and will have it loaded with about 200 lbs of camping gear and driver and passenger combined weight is 270 lbs. Is this combination of weight and no trailer brakes safely doable? Does anyone here have a similar setup or experience?
Yes, it will be safe. Don't worry, be happy.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Generally, trailer instability is created by a combination of improper loading and speed. Load the trailer so that about 10-15% of the total weight is on the tongue and keep your speed below 65 mph and you will likely be OK>

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Generally, trailer instability is created by a combination of improper loading and speed. Load the trailer so that about 10-15% of the total weight is on the tongue and keep your speed below 65 mph and you will likely be OK>
Thanks for the good advice Adventure.AS!

Sponsored

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Thanks for the good advice Adventure.AS!
Nice of you to reply Adventure but words like “likely be ok” create insecurity and fear. With his setup and good driving he will be fine!

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Nice of you to reply Adventure but words like “likely be ok” create insecurity and fear. With his setup and good driving he will be fine!
I understand what you are saying, but when giving 'advice' on an internet forum I think it is better to use some 'weasel' words. For example, if there were an unfortunate incident, such as loss of control due to trailer sway, I would not want to be pointed to as the person who's comment was responsible.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
2.0 does great for towing.. logged 8k miles in towing with ours at max load.

OP
OP

Coolslug

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's so good to hear aai. I'm really glad that you posted your 2.0 towing results! Thank you!
Sponsored

Reactions: aai