Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Bought new to me back in October.
22,000 ,miles
at 29,000 miles now.

I've tried to go thru as many posts as possible but just want to get it again.

1) Best oil to use? 05/30 Full Synthetic?
2) (brand that's best in your opinion?)
No oil consumption from engine as of yet.

Cold here (28* )and ticking more noticeable since it's been colder.
I always let the engine warm up just a bit before taking off.
I usually don't move until the RPM gauge drops below 1000.
However as I drive off the Jeep sounds like an old school Mercedes diesel for a while.
Can't tell if it's the engine for sure, or some part of the drive line.
It's always more noticeable as I'm driving away from the house until the car gets really warmed up.
Sometimes it's even around way after being driven for a while but it's not the usual case.

I've read it's "normal", but still sounds louder than it should be.
Can't tell if the dealer put in full synthetic at the first oil change I got a bit ago and I can't find the paperwork.
I'm thinking it's the valves or lifters. Would full synthetic quite this down?

Opinions or thoughts on weather I should be worried and take in to the dealer?
Or has anyone else here run into this on this engine and found a solution?
Sponsored

Hogzilla

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 turbo
I have a 2021 2.0T and the engine is loud and sounds like a diesel ticking when I start it in the morning. Temps are around 30 degrees by me. It drives great so I'd say what you are experiencing is normal. It doesn't hurt to take it in if you think there is something wrong though but these engines are loud.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Use what is recommended in your 2019 owner's manual.

We recommend you use Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-30 engine oil can be used if it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equivalent oil is unavailable then please contact your local dealership for recommendation.

Robicon-JLU

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I recently traded in my JTR for the JLUR with the 2.0L and before I even test drove one, the dealer told me the 2L is going to be louder. I drove several 2L JL's and also a diesel and they are both kinda loud and similar. Just the way they are... nothing wrong with them. Drove it a few times between -20 and -30 and it's even louder on startup but once warmed up gets back to the normal noise. I am impressed how quickly it warms up in this cold! Quicker than the 3.6 did in the JT.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Mine is the same way...noisy and a little “ticky” until warmed up. I don’t like this characteristic but it’s the nature of the beast. That said it’s amazing how well the 2.0l pulls the JL and I like it’s performance.

Sponsored

comatzd

First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The 2.0 is direct injection, sort of like a diesel, that's why it's so noisy 🙄.

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
Any high quality 5w30 synthetic that has API SN PLUS certification should be fine. In independent testing, Amsoil Signature and Pennzoil ultra platinum usually comes out on top and many on this forum chose to use one or the other.

The "ticking" noise at cold start is from the high pressure injector. Those injectors run at much higher PSI than regular ones.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Any high quality 5w30 synthetic that has API SN PLUS certification should be fine. In independent testing, Amsoil Signature and Pennzoil ultra platinum usually comes out on top and many on this forum chose to use one or the other.

The "ticking" noise at cold start is from the high pressure injector. Those injectors run at much higher PSI than regular ones.
BINGO..on the two above mentioned engine oils.. đź‘Ť I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I have done this in all of my vehicles, ever since the Ultra has been available. As for viscosity, well.. I believe that the climate that one lives in should play a part in it. Here in hot as hell Phoenix, I use 5w30 in all of my engines. If I lived on the North slope in Alaska, then I would use 0w20. But since Turboed engines add extra heat, then 5w30 for them in all climates. Also, as long as your engine has factory warranty on it, then only use oils meeting the Mil-spec, and viscosity that it recommends.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Mine sounds like an old school diesel early in the morning. Kinda like morning voice it goes away when oil pressure gets through it along with temp. I use pennzoil platinum full synthetic 5w-30 API sn plus.
Heres what she sounds like for reference:

Sponsored