First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
Any dealer that pulls those "mark up" shenanigans would never get my business, now or in the future. There are plenty of dealers that will deal on Jeeps, including, I suspect, the JL. Negotiations at my dealer (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler) always start below invoice and go down from there (averaging 2% below invoice on the last three vehicles I bought from them before incentives). I have no reason to believe the JL will be any different; it's just another "unit" to them out the door.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jabs

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Jeep site has been updated and now shows the Wrangler starting price back down to $27,895

OP
OP
Jabs

Jabs

First Name
Jabs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I hope this is true (but I doubt it).
It's true for the 2018 JK but yea no way for the 2018 JL! I think base pricing is going to be the $30,445 shown earlier.

Sponsored

Carlton_Banks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Any dealer that pulls those "mark up" shenanigans would never get my business, now or in the future. There are plenty of dealers that will deal on Jeeps, including, I suspect, the JL. Negotiations at my dealer (Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler) always start below invoice and go down from there (averaging 2% below invoice on the last three vehicles I bought from them before incentives). I have no reason to believe the JL will be any different; it's just another "unit" to them out the door.
I don't know how some dealerships stay in business.

Two dealerships 15 minutes away:

Dealer A: vehicles sell for MSRP. Won't come a penny off unless there is a rebate or you have an affiliate discount. They claim it's not possible to sell for less than MSRP...

Dealer B: 10 minutes of talking and you are signing papers for 10-15% off MSRP prior to rebates. Plus they offer top dollar for trade ins.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I just can't believe the price of the "basic utilitarian" Jeep Wrangler is going to be higher than the Grand Cherokee. Add the Hurricane 4 cylinder and automatic and you're way over the GC. Give me a stripped model with rubber floor liners and vinyl seats for under $30k.
Supply and demand.... since they are selling every single one they can make price be high

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
I don't know how some dealerships stay in business.

Two dealerships 15 minutes away:

Dealer A: vehicles sell for MSRP. Won't come a penny off unless there is a rebate or you have an affiliate discount. They claim it's not possible to sell for less than MSRP...

Dealer B: 10 minutes of talking and you are signing papers for 10-15% off MSRP prior to rebates. Plus they offer top dollar for trade ins.
It is also puzzling to me how some dealers manage to keep the doors open and the lights on (yeah, I know, the used car lot and the service department). Although consider that "we" are somewhat a different breed when it comes to buying Jeeps and I would like to think a little more savvy when it comes to NOT paying MSRP. There is, nevertheless, still a (probably large) segment of the population that fears the car-buying experience and would prefer not to negotiate. CarMax exists and does well for that very reason; people know the price is the price and that's it. Take it or leave it. [Interesting enough, there are currently 679 Jeep Wranglers on CarMax lots across the country and they will eventually get sold to somebody.] If you really want to depersonalize the car buying experience, go to the Manheim (PA) auto auction some time and watch them run 10,000 vehicles thru the lanes in a day. Then you realize that vehicles are just a commodity bought and sold like copper or coffee. Another reason I had no problem buying my '16 JKU used. My JLU (or JT), however, will likely be new and I promise you I will pay less than invoice (or I won't buy it).

Eight

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Highlander, 2014 Ford Focus, 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 2016 Tiffin Bus
Does anyone know when the “Build and Price” tool will be updated for the JL? Since order banks are open it seems like a no-brainer.

Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
A build and price would spill all the beans before launch. We should feel fortunate that we have the info we do actually have at this point.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
If you really want to depersonalize the car buying experience, go to the Manheim (PA) auto auction some time and watch them run 10,000 vehicles thru the lanes in a day. Then you realize that vehicles are just a commodity bought and sold like copper or coffee. Another reason I had no problem buying my '16 JKU used. My JLU (or JT), however, will likely be new and I promise you I will pay less than invoice (or I won't buy it).
True, but for most that is not the case.

People get wrapped up in the new vehicle desire, the thought of it in their driveway, vacations they will take, etc. and it rapidly becomes an emotional experience.

My big problem with buying used is you too often end up with someone else's problems; if you're fighting with Jeep/the dealer about getting something fixed over multiple attempts, odds are you are going to dump it and get something else if you don't have the time/energy to fight them on it.
Sponsored