Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Open Tailgate Reveals Angled C-Pillar Design?

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We took the liberty of enhancing our hi-resolution photos of the 2018 Wrangler prototype's open tailgate for an up close look at the rear glass and C-Pillar (to which wires are ziptied) which was left undisguised and visible once the tailgate was open.

This view gives us a look at what appears to be an angled C-pillar which will give the side profile and rear view a slightly less squared look. It also lends credence to rumors that the sport bar will not make its way to the next-generation Wrangler.

An angled C-pillar would result in an angled rear window shape, which FCA may be tipping by the window shape cut out on its camouflaged prototypes (second photo below).

Also visible is the folded-up rear glass which in this mule is attached to struts seemingly mounted to the bottom of the C-Pillar.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Open Tailgate Reveals Angled C-Pillar Design? {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Open Tailgate Reveals Angled C-Pillar Design? {filename}

What is missing from the mule (or perhaps just not visible from the photos) is an indication of the the new backglass design revealed in recent FCA patent filings which show plans for the glass to be able to be folded up over the roof and fastened to it with straps while lying on rubber rests.

Sponsored

Rockcrawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and Bikes
Good spot, didn't even notice that the first time I saw this pic. So the angled bar that the wires are tied to is the C pillar and the white body structure to the left of it is the removable hard top? And the lift back window is part of the removable hard top?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder why FCA hasn't contacted any of us for design ideas?

SWinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler JK
Speaking of the strut is that what #52 (interior) is in the patent sketch? Never noticed it until now.

Brogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge
Good spot, didn't even notice that the first time I saw this pic. So the angled bar that the wires are tied to is the C pillar and the white body structure to the left of it is the removable hard top? And the lift back window is part of the removable hard top?
Seems like it to me.

I think an angled C pillar could look good and give a the JL Wrangler a nice fastback shape. It'd also fit nicely with the new more raked windshield.

Even a hardtop to maintain the same lines could look cool. Something along these lines...

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I predict much less forward rake than those Targa tops.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
I predict much less forward rake than those Targa tops.
+1

If it were angled as much as the targa tops you would see the strut pushed way further in that it appears. You can judge based on this pic that if it had this design and the rear glass were open the strut would lean towards the front of the vehicle instead of relatively upright on that mule.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
I like it and hope this is what we're actually seeing. It'll give the Wrangler a fresh shape without losing its distinct look. I know there's going to be purists that cry if there's even an angle change with the windshield, but the car's gotta be refreshed at some point.

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
I actually prefer it to the completely square design. It doesn't change it from looking like a Wrangler in any way but gives it a somewhat more modern and sporty look.

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

I actually prefer it to the completely square design. It doesn't change it from looking like a Wrangler in any way but gives it a somewhat more modern and sporty look.
I don't. Why mess with success? There's a reason Wranglers can sell in high numbers year after year even though it's basically the same box from decades ago. Messing with whatever magical formula that's made it so successful is dangerous. Who knows how the Jeep faithful will react if the rear of the car is really slanted like that, especially if it's a lot. Hoping this actually doesn't turn out true.

Sponsored

Biker Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati Monster
I don't. Why mess with success? There's a reason Wranglers can sell in high numbers year after year even though it's basically the same box from decades ago. Messing with whatever magical formula that's made it so successful is dangerous. Who knows how the Jeep faithful will react if the rear of the car is really slanted like that, especially if it's a lot. Hoping this actually doesn't turn out true.
The Targa tops are really popular and I've never heard anyone say it no longer looks like a Wrangler. Most people seem to like the look and the complaints usually relate to the construction of the tops, leak issues, etc.

That said I'm sure there would be any number of companies that will offer a traditional squared top if the JL ends up looking like that from factory.

nazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
The Pontiac Aztec lives! Slanted rear design? Aaaa, no thanks. Looks like I won't be selling my 15' Rubi anytime soon.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The Pontiac Aztec lives! Slanted rear design? Aaaa, no thanks. Looks like I won't be selling my 15' Rubi anytime soon.
Haha!!! Jeep already did an Aztec...

nazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
haha...true. I wish they would fix that too. Our little Jeep brother is pretty good off road, but he's not a looker.

AWD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Nah, the entire auto industry knows how much of a disaster the Aztec rear design was so I doubt FCA designers would come anywhere close to designing something so ugly. That would literally doom the company lol.
Sponsored