2018 Wrangler JL sport speaker upgrade

Tweedman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL sport
Hello. First time Jeep owner and first time posting anything. Please be patient. I’m wanting to upgrade dash and soundbar (4inch) speakers for now plus add a Rockville Uss 10 powered sub. I’ll tap into the rear speakers at base of b pillar for sub. Been reading a lot about resistors and I’m wondering if I will need them in my case with only replacing the stock speakers and adding the powered sub? I have the base 5 inch Uconnect. I’m hoping someone has done this and can give me advice. Any and all is appreciated
Sponsored

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
Just did this myself... replaced the dash and soundbar speakers. Am very pleased with the results. The knee-panel speakers looked like too much effort for very little payoff to bother with.

So after much forum reading I did the following:
4X - Kicker Speaker Upgrade 77KICK25AB
Amazon link

Made a huge difference. The speakers fit both locations perfect. The mounts are the same and the speaker wire connectors are the same. Literally plug in and play. Now I too was concerned with bass blocking since the factory ones have a resister soldered in but decided to try without. They seem fine to me. No distortion or rattles, but if you are concerned and adding a sub, it probably wouldn't hurt. I'd probably get one around the 400Hz range. They too sell them on Amazon.

Here's a pic of the comparison between the base factory speaker and the upgraded Kicker speaker. Almost comical!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL sport speaker upgrade JL_dash01

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL sport speaker upgrade 20200902_150455_HDR

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL sport speaker upgrade 20200902_151036

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL sport speaker upgrade 20200902_151608

OP
OP

Tweedman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL sport
Just did this myself... replaced the dash and soundbar speakers. Am very pleased with the results. The knee-panel speakers looked like too much effort for very little payoff to bother with.

So after much forum reading I did the following:
4X - Kicker Speaker Upgrade 77KICK25AB
Amazon link

Made a huge difference. The speakers fit both locations perfect. The mounts are the same and the speaker wire connectors are the same. Literally plug in and play. Now I too was concerned with bass blocking since the factory ones have a resister soldered in but decided to try without. They seem fine to me. No distortion or rattles, but if you are concerned and adding a sub, it probably wouldn't hurt. I'd probably get one around the 400Hz range. They too sell them on Amazon.

Here's a pic of the comparison between the base factory speaker and the upgraded Kicker speaker. Almost comical!

Thanks for the reply. I ordered Kickers as well but different models. 46CSC44 for the soundbar and 43CSC354 for the dash. I also ordered the adapter plugs by metra to avoid soldering. There was a video I watched which led me to believe these replacements will fit ok without modifications, except the mounting screws on the soundbar ones will require new placement of self tapping screws.
fingers crossed. Worst case is I’ll return them for the ones you ordered
Thanks again

OP
OP

Tweedman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL sport
I’ve prob searched the forums for hours on end for an answer to this question:
If I’m only replacing the stock dash tweeters and soundbar woofers with same size aftermarket speakers will I require the use of resistors?? I’ve seen a video of someone doing this exact thing and he didn’t mention resistors. I’m not adding an amp, however I’m adding a powered sub which I will grab the signal for from the rear speakers.
I’m really scratching My head on this. I phoned a local installer who led me to believe I will not require the resistors. Can anymore help??

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
Hello. First time Jeep owner and first time posting anything. Please be patient. I’m wanting to upgrade dash and soundbar (4inch) speakers for now plus add a Rockville Uss 10 powered sub. I’ll tap into the rear speakers at base of b pillar for sub. Been reading a lot about resistors and I’m wondering if I will need them in my case with only replacing the stock speakers and adding the powered sub? I have the base 5 inch Uconnect. I’m hoping someone has done this and can give me advice. Any and all is appreciated
Where are you tapping into the speaker wires? What color wires are you tapping for the sound bar? Will be adding the Kicker HS10 under the passenger seat.

Last edited:

jimquill

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport JLU
Thanks for the reply. I ordered Kickers as well but different models. 46CSC44 for the soundbar and 43CSC354 for the dash. I also ordered the adapter plugs by metra to avoid soldering. There was a video I watched which led me to believe these replacements will fit ok without modifications, except the mounting screws on the soundbar ones will require new placement of self tapping screws.
fingers crossed. Worst case is I’ll return them for the ones you ordered
Thanks again
Did those speakers fit? How did they sound?
Sponsored