2018 Wrangler JL Soft Top rear windows / hard water stains / car wash

JeepJudy

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 4 door
Hard water stains on the rear windows of a New 2018 JEEP Wrangler JL - I have read other forums on this as well under (soft-top window cleaning)

We traded our 2017 Jeep Wrangler in on the new 2018 JL and Love the new transmission. We picked up our New 2018 JL Jeep on Memorial weekend when it was crazy busy at the dealership. We have never ran or would consider running our soft top Jeep through a car wash and we always washed our 2017 Jeep by hand. Unfortunately when we took delivery late that day, the dealership did run it through their car wash for a quick detail because it was late and I am guessing they wanted to make sure the deal stuck by having us drive it off the lot!

We pulled the jeep in our garage and unfortunately because it was late we did not dry it (the next day my Husband detailed it by hand and noticed the streaks on all three rear windows). Tuesday we took the jeep back to the dealer and showed the service tech the issue and since our salesperson wasn't there we also showed the issue to the person that sold us our second life time warranty! so we made sure two sets of eyes saw the issue. Our salesperson is awesome and is trying his best to help us, however I am sure the Sales Manager was the driver behind not wanting to replace our windows and keep a satisfied customer, they even indicated that we did it and not them. Which by the way didn't sit well with me coming from a 12 yr auto sales veteran. (It was obvious it had to do with running it through the car wash and we assumed it was the dealerships soap they used but after reading other forums it appears that it is a manufacturer defect). One of the other salesmen did use a solvent which helped but you can still see the streaks.

The dealership is contacting the manufacturer and they did provide us with an "I Owe You" for the replacement windows" stay tuned! I attached a picture. It is hard to get a good picture but in person it is awful. Others posted don't worry about it, your windows will get messed up anyway, I disagree, for one it is a brand new JEEP and it should be pristine and two it is all in how you take care of your vehicles !!! Hope this helps if anyone else has had this problem.

Jeep Windows.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

JeepJudy

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
is that the premium soft top or the standard soft top?
We have the Premium, I am wondering if it has something to do with the soft top. Did they change manufacturers and there is something in the fabric that can be causing it to run down on the windows?

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I had the same issue and figured the streaks were from the rail car or 2 weeks in a lot waiting transport to the dealer. My windows were replaced by the dealer. Make sure to check the tailgate behind the spare tire as the streaks continue down onto the paint. It did clean up but I wouldn't want it sitting on the tailgate long term.

OP
OP

JeepJudy

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same issue and figured the streaks were from the rail car or 2 weeks in a lot waiting transport to the dealer. My windows were replaced by the dealer. Make sure to check the tailgate behind the spare tire as the streaks continue down onto the paint. It did clean up but I wouldn't want it sitting on the tailgate long term.
Thank you and yes it was on the tail gate and sides too :(

Sponsored

emart45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Hard water stains on the rear windows of a New 2018 JEEP Wrangler JL - I have read other forums on this as well under (soft-top window cleaning)

We traded our 2017 Jeep Wrangler in on the new 2018 JL and Love the new transmission. We picked up our New 2018 JL Jeep on Memorial weekend when it was crazy busy at the dealership. We have never ran or would consider running our soft top Jeep through a car wash and we always washed our 2017 Jeep by hand. Unfortunately when we took delivery late that day, the dealership did run it through their car wash for a quick detail because it was late and I am guessing they wanted to make sure the deal stuck by having us drive it off the lot!

We pulled the jeep in our garage and unfortunately because it was late we did not dry it (the next day my Husband detailed it by hand and noticed the streaks on all three rear windows). Tuesday we took the jeep back to the dealer and showed the service tech the issue and since our salesperson wasn't there we also showed the issue to the person that sold us our second life time warranty! so we made sure two sets of eyes saw the issue. Our salesperson is awesome and is trying his best to help us, however I am sure the Sales Manager was the driver behind not wanting to replace our windows and keep a satisfied customer, they even indicated that we did it and not them. Which by the way didn't sit well with me coming from a 12 yr auto sales veteran. (It was obvious it had to do with running it through the car wash and we assumed it was the dealerships soap they used but after reading other forums it appears that it is a manufacturer defect). One of the other salesmen did use a solvent which helped but you can still see the streaks.

The dealership is contacting the manufacturer and they did provide us with an "I Owe You" for the replacement windows" stay tuned! I attached a picture. It is hard to get a good picture but in person it is awful. Others posted don't worry about it, your windows will get messed up anyway, I disagree, for one it is a brand new JEEP and it should be pristine and two it is all in how you take care of your vehicles !!! Hope this helps if anyone else has had this problem.

Jeep Windows.JPG
I have the same issue on mine as well. All of my windows (soft and hard) have water streaks that I can not get off. It looks like it is dripping from the soft top (not premium soft top). I've tried several different window cleaners and nothing will remove it.

OP
OP

JeepJudy

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue on mine as well. All of my windows (soft and hard) have water streaks that I can not get off. It looks like it is dripping from the soft top (not premium soft top). I've tried several different window cleaners and nothing will remove it.
The dealer did use some kind of solvent (not sure what it was) and it did make it better but I can still see it and I am not sure how long it will stay that way.
How long have you had yours? Have you contacted the dealer where you purchased it from? if so what did they say? Are they going to replace them? So it seems that both the premium and non-premium tops are doing the same thing, very odd. Keep me posted and good luck

emart45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
The dealer did use some kind of solvent (not sure what it was) and it did make it better but I can still see it and I am not sure how long it will stay that way.
How long have you had yours? Have you contacted the dealer where you purchased it from? if so what did they say? Are they going to replace them? So it seems that both the premium and non-premium tops are doing the same thing, very odd. Keep me posted and good luck
I've had mine for about 2 months. I noticed it after I washed it about a month ago, but that was also when we started to see warmer weather (located in Denver). I have not notified the dealer yet as I wasnt sure if it was a factory default or something else.

OP
OP

JeepJudy

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had mine for about 2 months. I noticed it after I washed it about a month ago, but that was also when we started to see warmer weather (located in Denver). I have not notified the dealer yet as I wasnt sure if it was a factory default or something else.
Did you wash it by hand or Car Wash?

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Folks,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I picked up my new 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL while on vacation a few weeks ago. Less than a week old, I too noticed streaking on my rear window as well as my side windows just like JeepJudy's pictures. I hand washed my Jeep after it I got home from vacation and even purchased Plexus to try to get the streaks out. No luck and the streaks are still there.

I also noticed was that there was some type of burn/scorch in the carpet exactly in the middle of the rear storage compartment lid. We are non-smokers so the burn mark/scorch had to be there when we accepted delivery of our new Jeep from the dealer. With the black carpeting it's very hard to see the burn/scorch and I only noticed it when I was vacuuming it out when we returned from our vacation.

Lastly, my front and rear bumpers seem to have some sort of spotty stains that will not come off. Almost like it's embedded in the plastic. Wondering if it's some how related to my window streaking issue. Just a guess.

Since we bought our new Jeep when we were on vacation 10 hours away I made an appointment with my local Jeep dealer to look at the window streaking issue, the burn/scorch issue with my rear compartment carpet as well as the front/rear bumper spotting issue. My Jeep dealer appointment is scheduled for this coming Monday, August 20th.

I never owned a Jeep before and I bought my Jeep based on my research and their stellar reputation. I paid a lot of money for my new Jeep and I am hopeful that Jeep will appropriately and properly remedy the above situations.

Appreciate anyone sharing their experiences with their Jeep dealer if they had any of the above similar issues.

I will keep everyone posted on my outcome after my dealer visit.

Regards,

Michelle & Mike

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I had the soft top window streaks upon delivery and had them replaced. All Jeeps are transported by rail, sit in rail yards for a while and are exposed to all kinds of contaminants like rail dust,etc. Several others have had the same problem. As for the bumpers try 303 cleaner. The burn mark is a mystery. Maybe some jerk flicking ashes in the back while parked with the top down? Hopefully your dealer will take care of you. Enjoy your Jeep!

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the comments Rick12785. I have an appointment with my local Jeep Dealer on Monday so I am hopeful they will replace my rear and 2 side windows. The front bumper spotting is weird and the spotting just won't come off. I'll see what the dealer says about that. I also have a bit on the rear bumper as well. Just keeping my fingers crossed that Jeep makes things right to my satisfaction!

I'll keep everyone posted.

Michelle :)

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks,

Just an update on the spotting issue on my front bumper while at Walmart today I bought a product by Mothers called Back to Black. It is a trim and plastic restorer. It did a great job on the spotting issues with my front bumper and the spotting is gone and it looks great!!

Monday I'll be at the dealer about the rear and side window streaking and hopefully get that resolved.

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks so the saga continues... went to my local Jeep dealer for a scheduled 7:30am appointment and after discussing my warranty related issues I had the service adviser told me I had to go back to the dealership I purchased my Jeep from. I said to the service adviser Really??? I need to drive 10 hours back to the Jeep dealer I purchased my Jeep from while on vacation and he said yes as my issues are cosmetic. Very disappointed to say the least!! Must say I will NEVER EVER return to Ramsey Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram located in Ramsey, New Jersey let alone purchase a new vehicle from them.

I reached out to Jeep Care when I returned home this morning and they said that Ramsey Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram should have never refused to look at my warranty related issues. Jeep Care was great and they arranged for me to go to another dealership, Paramus Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram of Paramus. They contacted the dealership on my behalf and informed them of my warranty related issues and within 10 minutes I got a call from the dealership service department to review my warranty related issues and schedule an appointment.

I will post an update after my September 17th appointment with the dealership.

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Folks,

Just to close the loop on my issues with my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL I took it to my local dealer (Paramus Jeep) for my scheduled appointment on September 17th. I went over all of the issues that I had with my less than 2 month old Wrangler Unlimited JL which included streaking of the rear and 2 side plastic windows, discoloration of my white grille in comparison to the rest of my white Jeep, bolts on the hood of my Jeep (2 on either side most closest to the windshield) that were rusting and discoloring the white paint, the discoloration of my front bumper and rear bumper with some blotchy impregnated white film as well as a parking light/turn signal located on the front passenger fender that was retaining moisture and fogging due to what I believe is a broken seal. Jeep Care worked with me closely when I first reported all of my issues and assured me they would remedy all of my issues. 2 hours after I dropped my Jeep off at the dealer a Jeep Care representative called and left me a voicemail message stating that Jeep Care has authorized the replacement parts to include front/rear bumpers, rear and 2 side plastic windows, replacement of the front passenger parking light/directional as well as the other cosmetic related issues requiring replacement. To say the least I was thrilled that Jeep Care was going to stand behind their product and correct all of my issues and bring them to closure. Over the ensuing days it went from authorizing all of the parts necessary to address my concerns to only authorizing the replacement of my streaking rear plastic window and the 2 side plastic windows. Can't quite figure out how it went from the voicemail I received which I saved that states all parts are being ordered to correct my issues to simply disregarding almost all of my concerns and only replacing my streaking rear window and 2 side plastic windows. Are you serious???

I am an individual that takes meticulous care of my Jeep. As a first time Jeep owner given these circumstances sadly I will likely never purchase a Jeep again.

Shame on Jeep and those considering purchasing a new Jeep should beware!! If anyone is experiencing similar issues feel free to send me a private message.

Michelle & Mike
Sponsored