Sponsored

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I have them on my 17. I'll see what kind of heat - if any- they make.
Generally, LEDs produce very little if any heat. That is one of the good things about them in terms of lamping fixtures in your house, as you dont get the residual heat coming off of them that you have to offset with cooling in your home.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Generally, LEDs produce very little if any heat. That is one of the good things about them in terms of lamping fixtures in your house, as you dont get the residual heat coming off of them that you have to offset with cooling in your home.
They do generate a little, though, in the more powerful automotive applications. The problem is that it is usually in the rear. I wonder if they could design a small heat sink into the reflector, or maybe put some air holes in it around the edges, to get just enough heat in there to keep them from freezing over, or at least to reduce the chances. Most snow fall or snow storms don't cause mine to freeze over. However, the one time it did, it was bad and caused me a good bit of difficulty. The Trucklites with the heating element are military spec, and they completely solve the problem. They are darned expensive, though. I'm going to buy them anyway and recoup a little on the sale of my originals.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
With the side mirror defrost as part of the rear window defrost... you'd think it could be part of that switched system.

DravenGSX

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '16 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Yeah Raptor is still too pricey IMO, at least for what you get. To get any decent options at all you have to buy a $10k package and then you're looking at $65k easy.

You can order an FX4 Lariat however you want, get 10k+++ off with truck month pricing (which is only 12mos/year), be out the door for ~$40k for a really nice truck.
With no options maybe... Properly optioned out FX4 Lariat is close to $60k MSRP (even with $10k discount, it's steep.. especially when compared to Ram). For what it's worth, Raptor is $5k more than Lariat (without FX4) per the Ford website.

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
They do generate a little, though, in the more powerful automotive applications. The problem is that it is usually in the rear. I wonder if they could design a small heat sink into the reflector, or maybe put some air holes in it around the edges, to get just enough heat in there to keep them from freezing over, or at least to reduce the chances. Most snow fall or snow storms don't cause mine to freeze over. However, the one time it did, it was bad and caused me a good bit of difficulty. The Trucklites with the heating element are military spec, and they completely solve the problem. They are darned expensive, though. I'm going to buy them anyway and recoup a little on the sale of my originals.
A heat sink like these: ?
http://a.co/1Grt7Tn
SYLVANIA ZEVO 921 T-10 W5W White LED Bulb

I've been using them as everything but headlights in my truck. they are great lights. don't know how they will do in the snow yet tho.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
So why does the manual call for battery coolant and MGU coolant for the 3.6L V6 if the Pentastar isn't supposed to be getting the BSG until 2019?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Town and Country and Austin Healey 100
Heh, one of the reasons I went and bought a 98 TJ with 50k on it (also because it had a 5.7 Hemi swap).
Overall the vehicle looks great, but it's clearly not geared towards the "jeepers". So much going on with it. So much to break. I'll still wait and see it in person before my decision. The old lady across the street has a jk, she's like 65. Never owned a jeep before. The demographics for the wranglers have changed. I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is. They're a car company, the object is to sell as many as possible. It's business.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Overall the vehicle looks great, but it's clearly not geared towards the "jeepers". So much going on with it. So much to break. I'll still wait and see it in person before my decision. The old lady across the street has a jk, she's like 65. Never owned a jeep before. The demographics for the wranglers have changed. I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is. They're a car company, the object is to sell as many as possible. It's business.
So much to break, but the JK doesn't break as much as the old CJs did. Not even close. You used to have to carry an entire tool box with you in a CJ after they passed 30k miles. New Jeeps are certainly more complicated, but they are MUCH better engineered and MUCH better built. I've been around long enough to have seen for myself.

PeterB

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Yeah I know the feeling. I have a 10 and a 3 year old and my wouldn't let my oldest ride in my Wrangler (old 1997 Sahara) until he was 10. He he's big for his age at 5 foot and 85 pounds.
I've got three kids and would also like rear air bags. So while it doesn't look like there will be curtain airbags, does anyone know if there will be supplemental seat side air bags in the rear for the Unlimited? I believe they are currently optional in the front only for the JK.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
So does anyone believer the dash shown in the owners manual is the real thing? I have to think it's just something used for the manual to represent a generic dash.
It's a very basic 3D rendering. It's not indicative of a specific model or features. If you look at the manual for the JK (they didn't nearly have the detail in their dash shots, but more CAD-like renderings), there is no consistency in a lot of those pictures, either. In fact, my '14 owner's manual has renderings of the original pre '11 dash on certain pages.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Town and Country and Austin Healey 100
So much to break, but the JK doesn't break as much as the old CJs did. Not even close. You used to have to carry an entire tool box with you in a CJ after they passed 30k miles. New Jeeps are certainly more complicated, but they are MUCH better engineered and MUCH better built. I've been around long enough to have seen for myself.
Im talking of electronics,
Im speaking mostly of the electronics. I can rebuild a motor faster than it takes to track down some electical issues these days. I'm thinking.... theres an exact replica of my old tj on Craigs right now, with under 100k miles. I loved that thing. Best vehicle ever. And with the price they're asking, I can still pick up a new kia or hyundai suv as a daily driver. Decisions decisions. ...

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
With no options maybe... Properly optioned out FX4 Lariat is close to $60k MSRP (even with $10k discount, it's steep.. especially when compared to Ram). For what it's worth, Raptor is $5k more than Lariat (without FX4) per the Ford website.
If you option a Raptor even just similarly to a base model Lariat, you're looking at a $65,000+ Raptor.

If you're spending $60k on a Lariat you might as well get a platinum or limited. Not a lot of $60k Lariats running around. Plus they give you $10k off on any of these luxury F150s before you even ask, higher trim gets much higher discounts, whereas you're looking at zero discount on Raptor right now.

Base Raptor is very, very poorly equipped, almost no Raptors are 800A models, something like 90% are 802A package.

Also FX4 is just a $700 option on top of 4x4.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If you option a Raptor even just similarly to a base model Lariat, you're looking at a $65,000+ Raptor.

If you're spending $60k on a Lariat you might as well get a platinum or limited. Not a lot of $60k Lariats running around. Plus they give you $10k off on any of these luxury F150s before you even ask, higher trim gets much higher discounts, whereas you're looking at zero discount on Raptor right now.

Base Raptor is very, very poorly equipped, almost no Raptors are 800A models, something like 90% are 802A package.

Also FX4 is just a $700 option on top of 4x4.
I did a financial analysis on a Raptor (801A package, total price of $56,978) and a Lariat 4WD F150 ($44,000 after incentives). The Raptor I kept stock, the Lariat I put in a small lift, 35" tires & aftermarket wheels. I factored in fuel costs, & depreciation. The cost of ownership per month on the F150 was $481.83 and the Raptor came out to $507.60 (numbers are based over 5 years). So the question is, Is it worth $309.24 a year more to drive a Raptor? I would say yes. The problem is most people look strictly at purchase price and don't factor in deprecation, or mods.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Im talking of electronics,

Im speaking mostly of the electronics. I can rebuild a motor faster than it takes to track down some electical issues these days. I'm thinking.... theres an exact replica of my old tj on Craigs right now, with under 100k miles. I loved that thing. Best vehicle ever. And with the price they're asking, I can still pick up a new kia or hyundai suv as a daily driver. Decisions decisions. ...
Yes for the most part electronics have been the bane of my existence in my vehicles. Last week I finally tracked down a broken wire to a sensor on my car, that was causing issues with the idle. The biggest problem I had on my 1985 CJ-7 was intermittently having the engine die, and that was due to a failing control module. Discovered it after removing the unit from the fender and having water and dirt drain out from the broken rear seal. In contrast my 1972 CJ-5 with simple 2 barrel carb and Dauntless V6 just kept running. Not as smooth or efficient as my newer cars but it just would not break. Electronics are amazing in what they afford in terms of engine and component control and lack of maintenance - when they work. I think electronic failures are more an issue for the persons who will own these vehicles down the road, and those owners could be in for some headaches and large repair bills. Not sure what a rebuild would cost on something like the new 8 speed electronic controlled transmission. My 65 Mustang simple C4 trans rebuild back in the day was $125. Got a feeling the Jeep trans would cost a sight more than that!
Sponsored