First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I think all Jeep owners are convertible die hards.

At roughly $6k out of pocket - I could buy another used Wrangler and leave it roof off all the time and drive it when the weather is right.

As any Jeep owner will tell you - two jeeps are better than one.

Basically what I do already. Besides, the manual top for a JK is easy to open and close. The JL with the lack of corner the sail panels and even zippers looks even easier to install and remove. I'd even say that it's quicker to remove the OEM top than those aftermarket tops take to close.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

At roughly $6k out of pocket - I could buy another used Wrangler and leave it roof off all the time and drive it when the weather is right.

Basically what I do already. Besides, the manual top for a JK is easy to open and close. The JL with the lack of corner the sail panels and even zippers looks even easier to install and remove. I'd even say that it's quicker to remove the OEM top than those aftermarket tops take to close.
Yep, that's why I'm keeping my JK when ordering the JL! The real challenge will be deciding which to drive!

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, '22 XR
I feel you guys with the Raptor but I may just go the the 350 Lariat (single rear tire) myself. At least I can get the A-Plan price and any discounts to help ease the pain of not getting the Jeep, for about the same price when you factor in the new estimated cost.
Yeah Raptor is still too pricey IMO, at least for what you get. To get any decent options at all you have to buy a $10k package and then you're looking at $65k easy.

You can order an FX4 Lariat however you want, get 10k+++ off with truck month pricing (which is only 12mos/year), be out the door for ~$40k for a really nice truck.

Mark12211

Threads
Reaction score
Agreed! I'm in the market to retire my 1997 (yes that's not a misprint) Sahara that I bought brand new and I LOVE my half doors. There's just something about driving with half doors when the top is down that beats taking the door completely off. Here's what a 2017 looks like with both doors. Give me the half doors in the summer and full doors in the winter!

I
sahara_both.png
I had a 1989 Islander. I know what you mean.

However the photo you posted is a Sahara. The JK is not available with half doors and painted fender flares.

Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I’m assuming this is a Rubi in base spec (no LEDs or high fenders)

46C298BB-25CE-429B-824A-39A2777D309E.jpeg

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Aftermarket, but their tops have always been better than OEM, even quieter than the hardtop on the JK
mytop.JPG

5k may seem like a lot, but those of us who are convertible die hards have paid more than a 5 grand premium just to have the convertible version of whatever vehicle we want.
I wouldn't be surprised if FCA/Jeep did some sort of cost-volume-profit analysis to see if the convertible option is worth developing. So far it sounds like a no go and the aftermarket has it covered.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Maybe for those with room & money for 2 vehicles, but those of us near cities also have to pay a higher insurance premium, so insuring a second vehicle is as much as financing one.

I wouldn't be surprised if FCA/Jeep did some sort of cost-volume-profit analysis to see if the convertible option is worth developing. So far it sounds like a no go and the aftermarket has it covered.
I think they just don't have enough experience to deal with an actual powered convertible top if anything were to go wrong.
I still think they should have took the plunge. Could have attracted a whole new market of convertible lovers that don't want anything to do with a manual soft top, but then again, that's another niche that's not really worth their time and $

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The JL will have at least a 10 year production run; a LOT of new options and goodies will appear, either from FCA, or the Aftermarket.
Every Niche will be addressed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’m assuming this is a Rubi in base spec (no LEDs or high fenders)

46C298BB-25CE-429B-824A-39A2777D309E.jpeg
The incandescent lighting may not be bad in places that see lots of snow, unless the LED's have enough heat to melt snow and ice. I've got Trucklite LED's on my JK, and while they are much better and brighter than the stock lights they replaced, they once froze over in a snow storm in Colorado, on my way back from Moab. It was so bad, I had to rely on the fog lights and incandescent off-road lights. The headlights were worthless. Anyone with a 2017 JK with LED's have info on this? Do they heat up? I'm planning on replacing my Trucklites with the version with a heating element in them.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The incandescent lighting may not be bad in places that see lots of snow, unless the LED's have enough heat to melt snow and ice. I've got Trucklite LED's on my JK, and while they are much better and brighter than the stock lights they replaced, they once froze over in a snow storm in Colorado, on my way back from Moab. It was so bad, I had to rely on the fog lights and incandescent off-road lights. The headlights were worthless. Anyone with a 2017 JK with LED's have info on this? Do they heat up? I'm planning on replacing my Trucklites with the version with a heating element in them.
Yeah, that sucks. I was hoping on adding Trucklites next upgrade because they are heated. I currently run GE NightHawks in the JKU and Phillips Xtreme Vision on the JL, and they do a great job with slush and compacted snow and are a noticeable improvement over stock, but I really wanted to step up a notch after a few near miss deer encountere last ski season.

Kinda on the fence about buying them installing them on the JKU (with the intention of swapping them to JLU) until I know if the JL still uses an H13 as well, so as to allow 2-way swap. Hard to justify for 1 season otherwise, but really want the extra light if I can’t run the cubes on the highway when busy and can’t use off-road lights.

Edit: just checked, yep, still same H13 which is good for the swap, but meh long term as it still limits options,

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I have them on my 17. I'll see what kind of heat - if any- they make.
Sponsored