Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I was being sarcastic after all the prior complaint posts, as I also though db was also posting tongue firmly planted in cheek, I know that doesn’t come across on the net.

I actually keep mine in their cases in the gap below the seat by the door, away from prying eyes, the dash top is too exposed.
Otherwise they are mounted like digitalbliss’.

Funny thing is it’s not sunglasses that fly off the dash, but my solar rechargeable Jeep flashlight I got from the dealer sits up there beside my rubber ducky navigator. You know it’s a tight turn or a good off-road bump when that thing goes flying. :rock:

That being said, it would be nice if the space behind the Uconnect opened up for ‘hidden’ covered storage like it does in the Corvette...

From the Traverse (couldn’t find a Corvette console GIF);
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL Owners Manual and User Guide leaked! {filename}
Wife's Tahoe has the same thing.

For that matter I wish there was any secure storage in the jeep. One of the first mods I will have to do just for my work laptop if nothing else.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
For that matter I wish there was any secure storage in the jeep. One of the first mods I will have to do just for my work laptop if nothing else.
Technically the console/armrest is locking storage, but I wouldn’t trust my phone or wallet in it overnight, and it’s not big enough for even a tablet.

You can add more secure storage (under the passenger seat or in the subwoofer cavity [if you don’t have one] for small stuff) , otherwise something like a locking box false floor in the rear is likely th best approach.

Until then I would recommend a kensington cable wrapped around the passenger seat anchors if you have to store it in a questionable place for more than a moment. But still keep it out of sight to avoid broken window or cut soft-top.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I wonder how the power sliding top will be attached to the JL. They say not removable, I say they didn't try hard enough.
There's no way that Jeep is manufacturing another whole Wrangler body just for this power top.

Has to be a factory bolted on top. I presume attached to the windshield and rear corner and wired as such. I'd imagine it's fragile and not made to be removed - but come on - you know it will be.
I think I have it figured out. The SLIDING SOFT top is not removable, because the sliding top eliminates the sport bar for an unobstructed open top, which means the rest of the HARD top will provide the structural integrity the vehicle requires.

Like so...
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler JL Owners Manual and User Guide leaked! {filename}

WHICH WOULD BE SO DISAPPOINTING! and this is also the reason why the rear quarter windows are removable only in this power top version of the Wrangler. They're trying to salvage the open air feeling! They should have just figured out a way to make the rear quarter windows powered instead if they're going all out with automating the open air process.

Navoni Family

First Name
Frank/Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2 Door Rubicon (Hyper Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed! I'm in the market to retire my 1997 (yes that's not a misprint) Sahara that I bought brand new and I LOVE my half doors. There's just something about driving with half doors when the top is down that beats taking the door completely off. Here's what a 2017 looks like with both doors. Give me the half doors in the summer and full doors in the winter!

I
I had to show off my 2016 Rubicon with half doors. I so love them..

Sponsored

chuck h

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
so I have a question on the directions for lowering the soft top that are in the user guide, specifically the language on pages 49-50. Is the soft top described in the user manual the same as the current soft tops, other than the sliding windows as opposed to the zippers? The instructions are talking about sliding the top down on a track, and about pushing down it to lock and unlock, and about latches. I have a 2010 JK and the top is nothing like the way this one is described, so I am wondering if all this is new or a carry over from a more recent JK than mine.

From the look in the picture, something I don't like about it. I think it is the way the frame is not laying flat, seems to be practically standing up, guess because it is on this rail the instructions are describing.

Last edited:

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
-Selec-Trac only engages front wheels if it detects slippage, wtf?
Yea, it doesn't seem like the JL's SelecTrac is the same as the SelecTrac on my old XJ. :crying:

IMHO, it seems more like one of those highly computerized pseudo transfer cases used on the Grand Cherokees. Little-to-no engine power is routed to the front wheels until the computer decides it might be necessary, which means it is really nothing more than an extension of the traction control system. :no:

Last edited:

newJLUguy

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
No, he’s not talkin about just side impact airbags,, which are indeed standard now an come out of a pod at the side ofnthe seat instead of from within the seat itself.

However, he’s talking about the more recent full side curtain airbags, which don’t really have a good mounting point in a Wrangler.
We were discussing this in the side-curtain thread, and while it would be nice, there are additional chalenges from a vehicle that takes the doors and roof off, thus limiting the options for mounting points.

I don’t doubt they will eventually arrive in the Wrangler, but for now just side airbags as standard is an improvement, and from there add the next improvement, etc. I suspects wee see them around the 2020 timeframe, once they’ve moved beyond the launch concerns.
Gotcha - thanks for clarifying.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instructions are talking about sliding the top down on a track, and about pushing down it to lock and unlock, and about latches. I have a 2010 JK and the top is nothing like the way this one is described, so I am wondering if all this is new or a carry over from a more recent JK than mine.
I noticed it too, definitely new, not on my 2015 JKU, nor friend’s 2017 JKUR (could be 2018 but doubt it)
I still haven’t fully figured it out just some likely/logical theories, although logic often trips us up on these things as sometimes the top removal design & instructions always seemed counter-intuitive until you did it successfully once or watch someone else do it.
Anywhooo, my guess is that the ‘latches’ portion and locking / unlocking is related to keeping the soft top secure in place and reducing the sail profile to make it aerodynamic when fully open/down, although never had an issue using straps or those new giant neon twist ties. Not sure if they assist in half-open, but unlikely as we still seem to have those big velcro straps that wear-out after a summer. There’s also now a big locking mechanism on the pivot point to assist as well.

The track system seems to be related to removing that “Lift Assist” pivot mechanism (on pg 54 in the guide) and makes it look easier removing the torx bolts rom it, than trying to remove the torx bolts from the frame itself while the system is under mild strain while somone holds it.

Gotta remove my soft-top on the JKU next weekend and we are not looking forward to that part, so anything to make it easier , and possible even a one-man job instead of a man and a woman is a good thing IMO.

A little more insight can be gleened when you combine the instructions you reference from the user guide on pages 49-50 & 54, with the removal instructions in the owner’s manual on pages 86-91 and the more detailed soft top operating instructions from the owner’s manual on pages 116-138.

From the look in the picture, something I don't like about it. I think it is the way the frame is not laying flat, seems to be practically standing up, guess because it is on this rail the instructions are describing.
I think that’s a natural reaction, as I’m reserving judgement until I have to deal with it, but I will be happy to see a few YouTubers tackle it first before I make my first attempt. Until then I’m concerned it may be over-engineered. But if it helps keep the GF or myself from pinching fingers/skin trying toremove those rear bolts, then I may be very appreciative, and might warrant a thank-you note. :like: Heck an improvement like that even makes an early JKU-> JLU refresh more sellable to the GF if she doesn’t have to help anymore. :idea:

Sponsored

Rumblefish

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite JLUR; 2015 BMW R1200GS
I do like that you can change the rear aux power outlet (if equipped with subwoofer) to ignition or constant power just by changing the location of a single fuse. This will make having fridge back there easier.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do like that you can change the rear aux power outlet (if equipped with subwoofer) to ignition or constant power just by changing the location of a single fuse. This will make having fridge back there easier.
Just FYI, you can already do this on the JK, that’s the power source I tap into for my rear camera, and by default it’s always on, I switched it via the same fuse to power on ignition.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
so I have a question on the directions for lowering the soft top that are in the user guide, specifically the language on pages 49-50. Is the soft top described in the user manual the same as the current soft tops, other than the sliding windows as opposed to the zippers? The instructions are talking about sliding the top down on a track, and about pushing down it to lock and unlock, and about latches. I have a 2010 JK and the top is nothing like the way this one is described, so I am wondering if all this is new or a carry over from a more recent JK than mine.

The newer JKs have a spring assisted mechanism where the support bows mount to the cage. Looks like they added a locking position now too to that mechanism to secure it down. Nice addition. Will help Ape too with storage (I made nylon straps for mine with quick release buckles)

I do think this is where the power top will grow from. This track system for the rear door surround plus that improved mechanism leads to an easy addition of a motor there to put the top up or down. Removing the quarter panels and rear window may still be manual.

Looks too that the quarter panels now include the rear corners. So the canopy part is now just an extended bikini top (similar to frameless tops now) but with the addition of a rear support over the cargo area. Explains now that big lip on top of the back window. It's there to hold the canopy to the frame as there's no longer the rear corner extensions to the body tub.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The power sliding top will have removable quarter glass, but what about the rear? Talk about a giant parachute with a mostly open cabin, but the rear glass down!

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
The power sliding top will have removable quarter glass, but what about the rear? Talk about a giant parachute with a mostly open cabin, but the rear glass down!
Yea I was looking for info on that flip up window, but it doesn't seem to exists.
Sponsored