2018 Wrangler JL Factory Service Manual

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Back in 2011 I wanted one for my Ram. I was told it was only available through online subscription. Something like 3000 per year or 300 for 3 days.
I think people did the three day thing and downloaded everything to cd and sold copies. Not sure if that will happen here or not.
Sponsored

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
20180326_191959.jpg

Yes. Once you take delivery hit up Jeep chat, call customer service or the Jeep Wave program. Free, shipped to your casa.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
20180326_191959.jpg

Yes. Once you take delivery hit up Jeep chat, call customer service or the Jeep Wave program. Free, shipped to your casa.
That is the owner's manual, not the service manual that the dealer's get to service them.

Sponsored

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yea, I've had Hayne's manuals, didn't know you could get one from the manufacturer. Good info.

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
There's basically three ways to get a service manual for Chrysler vehicles:

1) A MOPAR TechAuthority subscription. This is their official service manual that dealers get access to. Unfortunately FCA doesn't sell single-vehicle access, just access to every vehicle they've ever made, and they price it accordingly (i.e. $$$$ even for a 72 hour subscription). This is expensive because this is how FCA soaks their dealership service departments for the money to compile and revise this service information -- nobody other than FCA dealerships actually buys TechAuthority, independent mechanics already subscribe to AllData, which has basically the same service information but for *all* vehicles, not just FCA vehicles.

2) DVD-R. This is basically the TechAuthority for your Jeep boiled down to files on an optical disk with a program for reading them into your web browser. Chrysler has been on and off with these, sometimes they make one available to the public right away (like for my minivan), sometimes not for years. Again, expensive, something on the order of $500 when I bought it for my minivan several years ago, but not as expensive as buying TechAuthority access multiple times over a five year period. Looking at the TechAuthority site, the latest available is for the 2017 model year.

3) Alldata DIY. Chrysler vehicles are usually available on Alldata DIY two model years after release. I.e., I bought a 2012 Wrangler in October 2011, and the Alldata DIY became available when the 2014 Wrangler was released in December 2013 (apparently it took them a few months to move the data from regular Alldata into Alldata DIY). A 5 year subscription cost me $10 per year and I recently had to renew it, which is why I remember when it was released. This appears to contain the same information as TechAuthority, just formatted differently.

So right now your options for service information for a 2018 JL are either a short-term TechAuthority subscription or your friendly independent mechanic's Alldata subscription. Time to befriend your local independent!

Chrysler does not, and has not for years, offered any paper service manual for their vehicles., which means that having accurate service information while out in the backcountry without Internet service is difficult. You can print pages out but you better hope you printed the right pages. The CD/DVD works if you have a laptop computer that'll read it, but that means you need to have a laptop computer with you. I think the last time they offered paper service manuals for any of their vehicles was in 2008, ten years ago. Currently the only company I've looked at that offers paper service manuals for their vehicles is General Motors. As far as free access to the service manual, the only car company I know that gives free access to the service manual online is Hyundai/Kia.

By far the best value is AlldataDIY.com , which is kept updated with the latest recalls, TSB's, and so forth. But you'll have to wait a couple of years before that's available.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Anyone have any updates about the Service Manual and how it can be ordered. See conversation with Jeep Chat below..... God only knows what I will be receiving....

Service_Manual1.jpg
;)Don't know what everyone's problem was. I asked for the service manual and got it right away.

upload_2018-3-26_20-43-55.png

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
;)Don't know what everyone's problem was. I asked for the service manual and got it right away.

upload_2018-3-26_20-43-55.png
Owner's manual != service manual. Service manual would be at least 4,000 pages if actually printed and hasn't been available as a paper manual since 2008. The difference is that the owner's manual tells you how to change a light bulb. The service manual tells you how to change an alternator and what the bolts should be torqued at so that you don't strip the aluminum threads in the block.

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
If you are really lucky, they will send you an Owner’s Manual for your new 2018 Wrangler! Just like they did for me

7544576B-2F74-4367-9F11-350FC3BC4657.jpeg
I requested and also got jk manual haha

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Well, FCA came through on my "Service" manual too... lol lol lol. On the hells of inquiring about my JL order status, I had asked about how I could go about PURCHASING a SERVICE manual. No prob, says the rep. We'll send you one. "It" arrived today. 2018 JK Owners Manual. Super.

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
Same for me. Got the 2018 JK manual. Called backed... thanked them for prompt delivery... re-requested the correct manual... recieved a 2nd copy of the JK manual. Three times a charm? Time will tell.

joshua.mcguoirk

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 JLS, 1997 TJ & 2003 KJ
Same for me. Got the 2018 JK manual. Called backed... thanked them for prompt delivery... re-requested the correct manual... recieved a 2nd copy of the JK manual. Three times a charm? Time will tell.
Three times WAS the charm. Recieved the Owner's Manual today.

Torenhall

First Name
Toren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JKU HR
There's basically three ways to get a service manual for Chrysler vehicles:

1) A MOPAR TechAuthority subscription. This is their official service manual that dealers get access to. Unfortunately FCA doesn't sell single-vehicle access, just access to every vehicle they've ever made, and they price it accordingly (i.e. $$$$ even for a 72 hour subscription). This is expensive because this is how FCA soaks their dealership service departments for the money to compile and revise this service information -- nobody other than FCA dealerships actually buys TechAuthority, independent mechanics already subscribe to AllData, which has basically the same service information but for *all* vehicles, not just FCA vehicles.

2) DVD-R. This is basically the TechAuthority for your Jeep boiled down to files on an optical disk with a program for reading them into your web browser. Chrysler has been on and off with these, sometimes they make one available to the public right away (like for my minivan), sometimes not for years. Again, expensive, something on the order of $500 when I bought it for my minivan several years ago, but not as expensive as buying TechAuthority access multiple times over a five year period. Looking at the TechAuthority site, the latest available is for the 2017 model year.

3) Alldata DIY. Chrysler vehicles are usually available on Alldata DIY two model years after release. I.e., I bought a 2012 Wrangler in October 2011, and the Alldata DIY became available when the 2014 Wrangler was released in December 2013 (apparently it took them a few months to move the data from regular Alldata into Alldata DIY). A 5 year subscription cost me $10 per year and I recently had to renew it, which is why I remember when it was released. This appears to contain the same information as TechAuthority, just formatted differently.

So right now your options for service information for a 2018 JL are either a short-term TechAuthority subscription or your friendly independent mechanic's Alldata subscription. Time to befriend your local independent!

Chrysler does not, and has not for years, offered any paper service manual for their vehicles., which means that having accurate service information while out in the backcountry without Internet service is difficult. You can print pages out but you better hope you printed the right pages. The CD/DVD works if you have a laptop computer that'll read it, but that means you need to have a laptop computer with you. I think the last time they offered paper service manuals for any of their vehicles was in 2008, ten years ago. Currently the only company I've looked at that offers paper service manuals for their vehicles is General Motors. As far as free access to the service manual, the only car company I know that gives free access to the service manual online is Hyundai/Kia.

By far the best value is AlldataDIY.com , which is kept updated with the latest recalls, TSB's, and so forth. But you'll have to wait a couple of years before that's available.
Thanks for the info. I remember I found the PDF of my 97 TJ online back in 2011. I printed it out at work and put it in a big ass binder lol.

What do you think the chances are of finding a PDF version of the JL service manual on the web anytime soon?
Sponsored