Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Surprised there hasn't been any discussion about the big hood bump on the prototype.

Are we thinking this is a Hard Rock edition with its raised vented hood?

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}
I believe Milous confirmed this is a Sahara so we may be seeing a different hood across the board. The Hard Rock dome is much more subtle. A bump like that seems more along the lines of the AEV heat reduction hood.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElevatedOffRoad.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door
Occupation
Owner of Elevated Off Road
I was just checking out the pictures the Hood is definitely bumped up hopefully a heat reduction of some kind. Back Up Camera will be nice I cant ever see anything with my 37" tire. I see they added Grab Handels to the a pillar.

- Joe

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That's a good point. If the backup cameras are required by law now, how does it display for people who have the base radio? Or maybe that's why even the base Sport is going to have a 5" screen from the sounds of it?
The new Compass Sport base model includes 5" touchscreen and Uconnect 5.0 as standard equipment. This is on a $21,000 SUV. I imagine the JL Sport will have the same.

I'll admit I like the looks of the new Compass. I bet Jeep will sell a ton of them.

Reactions: JAY

Otto

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport (JK)
I just hope the handles are not welded on and can be swapped or removed. Compare these 2 cages/handles:
See this new spy pic from the other thread? Looks like the grab handles are a molded part of the A pillar.

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
I was just checking out the pictures the Hood is definitely bumped up hopefully a heat reduction of some kind. Back Up Camera will be nice I cant ever see anything with my 37" tire. I see they added Grab Handels to the a pillar.

- Joe
These prototypes don't look like the Rubicon and we’ve seen a hood bulge on every single prototype spied so far. I’m predicting we’re going to see fancier hood on even the standard models. The standard JK hood always seemed like it coulda used some more flare to it - lines, bulge, vents, etc.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This is a Rubicon, the telltale signs are the bigger AT tires, raised ride height, and factory rock rails.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
These prototypes don't look like the Rubicon and we’ve seen a hood bulge on every single prototype spied so far. I’m predicting we’re going to see fancier hood on even the standard models. The standard JK hood always seemed like it coulda used some more flare to it - lines, bulge, vents, etc.
Will be nice if the standard hood has some more interesting styling to it like the YJ and TJ. Even if just a slight raised middle part like this.

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
My $.02 on most recent photos:
  • The backup camera could just be for testing purposes - has to be nearly impossible to see out that back window with all the drapes on the back end. Would be very surprised if it came to production; even more so if it ended up in center of the spare.
  • I don't buy those side steps at all. I'd bet they're just on there for camo purposes and to throw off on-lookers.
  • The zipper on the back cover is opens on the same side as my JKU, so the tailgate/ window could be the same as JK with that zipper configuration. Drop down tailgate would be cool but they'd have to do a swing-away tire carrier or similar.
  • Would love for Jeep to ditch the dissimilar metals between door and door hinge. My 2012 is already showing corrosion.
  • A-pillar handle. Not a fan. At all.
  • No more roll bar? Errrrrrrrrrrrrr...buying a 2017 on principle.
  • Remember 2007 redesign and the improvements that followed in what, 2011 or 2012 - second generation interior and ditched the minivan 3.8 for the pentastar? Eager to see what 2018 looks like but I won't buy until ~5 years into this generation when the bugs get worked out.
Have you ever tried spraying you hinges with plastic dip it looks and works great.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Looks like the JL will share lots of styling cues with the TJ. The windshield is flat like the TJ, and unlike the JK. Headlights match up with the end of the 7 slots, which have a slight curvature. It has a hood bulge too. I think the TJ is the best looking of the Wranglers so this, to me, is all good news. Now, lets wait and see the rear end..

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So you're an ass man... ;)

Sponsored

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the JL will share lots of styling cues with the TJ. The windshield is flat like the TJ, and unlike the JK. Headlights match up with the end of the 7 slots, which have a slight curvature. It has a hood bulge too. I think the TJ is the best looking of the Wranglers so this, to me, is all good news. Now, lets wait and see the rear end..
Yes that's made my interest in the JL even higher. Hopefully it'll be a modern day version of my TJ -- all the modern amenities and improvements that have come since the TJ but with the character and look.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Definitely looks like they're combining the JK with the TJ to create the JL....

Flat windshield, separate side windshield hinges, fancy hood, fender lights. I like the throwback changes.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ 65th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Farmer
I like the new round look on everything and a full door in the rear would be cool. It just looks like it will have a sleeker look then the jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep TJ 65th Anniversary Edition
Occupation
Farmer
The running boards look much more useable. More surface area and they're deeper too.

I'm calling it now - full swing out door and window (together). Camo seems to preview it.
So are we going to see something like the Africa safari concept possibly? I don't know how they would engineer it with the removable top but it would be kinda cool.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Not compatible with open roof or removable panels.
Sponsored