Sponsored

2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Our photos also reveal a new interior feature -- grab handles mounted on the A-pillar.
They appear to be large and robust. It remains to be seen whether there will also be handles mounted in back for rear passengers.

jl-wrangler-grab-handles.jpg
Sponsored

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
Our photos also reveal a new interior feature -- grab handles mounted on the A-pillar.
They appear to be large and robust. It remains to be seen whether there will also be handles mounted in back for rear passengers.

Oh good! Grab handle on the driver side. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a sticky situation and just wished I could let go of the steering wheel and grab something else.:eek::D

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Oh good! Grab handle on the driver side. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a sticky situation and just wished I could let go of the steering wheel and grab something else.:eek::D
Most people use it to help get in and out of the jeep,which I'm guessing you still need to do on the driver's side :) I'm also guessing there's a matching one on the passenger side and rear lol.
I'm glad to see this, it's long overdue.

AgingTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Wrangler, 04 SV 650
Looks like maybe the push button on the door handle may be gone based on the second picture. There appears to be a clearance gap behind the handle to allow it to pull out, and it would be quite difficult to get your hand in that camo to push a button.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited

Nice catch admin. This makes me wonder about the JL's A pillar bolt points. I can't tell if both the top and bottom of the grab handle is bolted on but based on the bottom angle of the handle, it looks like it. It's mounted a lot lower than I would have expected, down past the side mirrors and almost to where the top of the steering wheel would be.

If you compare it to the GraBars ones for the JK:

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Wrangler Drops Camo, Shows Backup Camera, Roofline, Grab Handles, Signs of Foldable Windshield {filename}

A few things worry me about this. First is how the new bolt points are going to work with some aftermarket accessories and parts that make more sense being bolted higher on the pillar. Another is I hope these grab handles don't cause visibility issues towards the windshield and side mirrors. They look pretty large.

Sponsored

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Looks like maybe the push button on the door handle may be gone based on the second picture. There appears to be a clearance gap behind the handle to allow it to pull out, and it would be quite difficult to get your hand in that camo to push a button.
Good eye. Does look like the push button door handle is gone.

And it looks like the door hinges may be more prominent than the current ones. Looks like it pushes out the camo more than the JK ones would.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Interior Grab handles like the ones shown in the JK could be a real hazard in a crash, imagine hitting your head on that. Even with air bags, seat belt, the human body gets thrown around enough to be killed by that in a violent crash.
The new ones in the JL could pose a similar problem, but the Liability Guys have probably checked them out.

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Interior Grab handles like the ones shown in the JK could be a real hazard in a crash, imagine hitting your head on that. Even with air bags, seat belt, the human body gets thrown around enough to be killed by that in a violent crash.
The new ones in the JL could pose a similar problem, but the Liability Guys have probably checked them out.
i hope they are removable. i would've been fine with them offering paracord ones but now that there's no sport bar i guess this is the only option.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Update - Feb. 27, 2017

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited prototype has been spotted again providing the clearest looks yet at the roofline, windows, grab handles and ever-so-slightly visible top.

These new photos provide a clear look at signs of a prominent hood bulge, larger and longer air dam below the front bumper that extends much lower to the ground, and the large A-pillar mounted grab handles on the driver and passenger side.

Our sources have indicated that the JL will not only retain a foldable windshield, but Jeep has actually redesigned Wrangler to make it easier to fold up and down. The large grab handles are positioned as such to do double duty-- used as traditional grab bars for ingress and egress and when things get rough on the trail, as well as serving as a handle for lowering and raising the windshield from the interior. To make it even more convenient, the rearview mirror mount has been moved to the ceiling (as opposed to being mounted on the current model), as clearly shown in the photos.

The fenders on the JL Wrangler appear to arch higher on the vehicle and have been reshaped for a more rounded look. In fact, many of the JLU's edges have been rounded for better aerodynamics, from the fenders to the windows, roofline and overall silhouette.

There are also hints of the new black roof panels and though not much else can be discerned from the thin sheet of roof we see, we can tell that the ribs are similar to the current Wrangler's Freedom hardtop. Along with the folding windshield, this points to a highly open-air design.

Here's what's clearly seen in these new images:
  • prominent hood bulge
  • larger and longer air dam/skid plate that extends much lower to the ground
  • large A-pillar grab handles on the driver and passenger side
  • rearview mirror mounted to the roof instead of the windshield
  • reshaped, more rounded fenders that appear to arch higher on the vehicle
  • rounded windows
  • hints of black roof panels

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Just wanted to point out.. these could be 2 separate vehicles.. because the first jeep has smaller tires, While the second jeep has larger tires with new wheels all together..
Definitely two different ones. One reveals a black roof and the other's roof is covered in camo.

Sponsored

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Those handles look like they are built into the A pillar. Maybe it's just the photo but it almost looks like the speaker tweeters are in there?

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Man just a little higher and you could make out the whole roof. You can definitely tell there's separation of the roof by the B pillar but after that it's impossible to make out.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
That windshield looks like it's primed to be easily folded or removed! Huge grab handles attached to the inside of windshield frame (for ease of lowering?) and if I'm seeing it correctly the rear view mirrors are mounted to ceiling.

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
That windshield looks like it's primed to be easily folded or removed! Huge grab handles attached to the inside of windshield frame (for ease of lowering?) and if I'm seeing it correctly the rear view mirrors are mounted to ceiling.
I'd have to say based on the positioning and size of the handle bars it would make sense that it is also being used for windshield removal. If the bars are for driver/passenger ingress/egress they should be higher up and tilt upward for better grip leverage. The roof panels look similar so i'm going to guess it is fully convertible. It would only make sense if in fact the windshield folds down from the top just as in the JK, as the rearview mirror position suggests.