Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to see this sir, but am happy to hear no one was hurt. The response from your insurance is quite odd as they should have got involved the minute you called them. Also, I would think FCA would be interested in why the Jeep caught fire, but they are probably controlled by their lawyers in these type of incidents. Good luck, I hope the situation comes out to your satisfaction.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
A reverse image search of his burned vehicle returns zero hits. I would say he is not trolling.

OP, good luck to you sir! Please keep us posted!

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I have read so many trolled threads on various forums for the various vehicles I've owned over the years - not to mention just plain uneducated B.S. - that I am skeptical of posts like these too. That being said, if indeed it's for real, then condolences to the OP but since no one was hurt it's good to remember it's just metal (and plastic) and can be replaced.
Some are amazed that the OP's insurance didn't just open a claim when he reported it to them initially - although that might make the post seem all the more like a trolled story, it also might be that he chose a cut-rate insurer who will try and wiggle out of paying for this. After all, if the insurer finds it's a product liability issue and goes after FCA, that costs a lot of money up front for them, and some of these cut-rate insurers don't want to spend a dime more than they have to. OP hasn't yet told us who his insurer is - that might be because he doesn't want to alienate them now...at least not until he gets his replacement check. I've had a not-so-cut-rate insurer try and weasel out of paying my deductible they ultimately had to, and I've had another insurer pay on a total loss without hesitation and in a very timely manner...there's all kinds out there.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I have read so many trolled threads on various forums for the various vehicles I've owned over the years - not to mention just plain uneducated B.S. - that I am skeptical of posts like these too. That being said, if indeed it's for real, then condolences to the OP but since no one was hurt it's good to remember it's just metal (and plastic) and can be replaced.
Some are amazed that the OP's insurance didn't just open a claim when he reported it to them initially - although that might make the post seem all the more like a trolled story, it also might be that he chose a cut-rate insurer who will try and wiggle out of paying for this. After all, if the insurer finds it's a product liability issue and goes after FCA, that costs a lot of money up front for them, and some of these cut-rate insurers don't want to spend a dime more than they have to. OP hasn't yet told us who his insurer is - that might be because he doesn't want to alienate them now...at least not until he gets his replacement check. I've had a not-so-cut-rate insurer try and weasel out of paying my deductible they ultimately had to, and I've had another insurer pay on a total loss without hesitation and in a very timely manner...there's all kinds out there.
Well, I did ask who his insurance was with? And with most things, you get what you pay for. My one brother always uses safe auto and he tried to get me to use them one time because he said I pay too much. I told him I carry the best insurance because of people like him:like:

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sucks when you are all ready to jump on those defective turbo motor and this happens.....
And I still have yet to read the post of someone going on the offensive against the v6. Whether here or any other thread. Food for thought.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
And I still have yet to read the post of someone going on the offensive against the v6. Whether here or any other thread. Food for thought.
I wouldn't jump all over the 4, but it is understandable. It is a turbo, and they generate tremendous heat. They also have a much more complicated electrical system. That said, from what I've seen, Jeep seems to have hit a home run with it. It appears to be reliable, fuel efficient, and a little powerhouse of an engine. It keeps checking off the boxes as time goes by and more of them are on the road. It will be awhile, but long term durability seems to be the next and maybe last big box it needs to check. Looking good, so far.

The image looks like more evidence this might be legit. More photos would be good, too. I'd like to see the interior and even photos from underneath the Jeep, specifically around the engine/transmission/transfer case.

OP, were you off-roading or on a trail at the time it occurred? Did the Jeep have any peculiar behavior before the pop or whatever alerted you to a problem?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't jump all over the 4, but it is understandable. It is a turbo, and they generate tremendous heat. They also have a much more complicated electrical system. That said, from what I've seen, Jeep seems to have hit a home run with it. It appears to be reliable, fuel efficient, and a little powerhouse of an engine. It keeps checking off the boxes as time goes by and more of them are on the road. It will be awhile, but long term durability seems to be the next and maybe last big box it needs to check. Looking good, so far.

The image looks like more evidence this might be legit. More photos would be good, too. I'd like to see the interior and even photos from underneath the Jeep, specifically around the engine/transmission/transfer case.

OP, were you off-roading or on a trail at the time it occurred? Did the Jeep have any peculiar behavior before the pop or whatever alerted you to a problem?
I too would be interested in more shots for the sake of forensics. Based off that one pic, it seems that the fire was concentrated more on the front of the engine bay because both the windshield frame and the doors don't show much more than soot damage.

To the OP, my biggest condolences to you and your wife's loss. After dreaming for 18 years, a month was just a tease. I hope things get sorted and she's back living the dream very soon.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I too would be interested in more shots for the sake of forensics. Based off that one pic, it seems that the fire was concentrated more on the front of the engine bay because both the windshield frame and the doors don't show much more than soot damage.

To the OP, my biggest condolences to you and your wife's loss. After dreaming for 18 years, a month was just a tease. I hope things get sorted and she's back living the dream very soon.
Yep, but it could conceivably start underneath, with the transmission, and move to the front before getting into the passenger compartment. The firewall does its job, but the floor could act somewhat as a firewall, too, with the exception of some sizeable holes for the shift mechanisms and the drain holes. Still, if the engine had some kind of catastrophic failure, it could possible be felt through the shifter.

I'm no expert in any way, so anything coming from me should be taken for what it is worth. I'm just curious.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause in this case, but only a possibility to consider and investigate....there have been a number of times where I found debris in my JK stuck under the skid plates, in the suspension components, and along the frame. However, the JK's skid plating makes it more vulnerable to this, IMO. The JL's plates are more open and don't look like they could trap debris as closely to the exhaust as could happen on the JK. Of course, there are still thousands of ways that kind of thing can happen to a JL, or even damage to fuel lines and such. Brush and debris can get anywhere. I had a Polaris 800 ATV with very expensive CV joint guards and skids, and still had a stick get up in there and tear a CV boot. It was on a very mild trail where I didn't even remember running over anything that would have posed the risk.

One thing I do EVERY time I go off road, is to thoroughly visually inspect the underside of the vehicle after every off-road excursion, and during every oil change. I've never had a fire, but have pulled LOTS of crud from LOTS of places underneath my ATV's and Jeeps. I always worry about a fire and carry an extinguisher.

I'm getting ready to switch to one of these in each vehicle, my garage, and the kitchen in our house, btw....They last longer and have no expiration date and are lightweight, small, and easy to store. https://elementfire.com/

7below

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who works for a national p&c insurance carrier the way this should have happened is call insurance, insurance opens claim and inspects/totals the vehicle. Insurance would investigate and determine if they think the claim is subrogatable(did someone/something else cause the loss that could reimburse them). If they think that there was a product defect with the Wrangler that caused the fire they would go to FCA for reimbursement. Your policy might have an exclusion for mechanical failure but any resultant damages from the mechanical failure(i.e. your Jeep burning to the ground should be covered). What you get paid for the value depends on the policy and endorsement you have but, as a general rule auto policies are actual cash value so what was the Jeep worth right before the loss unless you had some type of endorsement for new car replacement etc. Source: I train auto damage appraisers. Hope that helps and obviously I can't speak to your specific situation without having read your actual policy/endorsements but, just some insight into the claims process.

Sponsored

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Damn that sux....I woulda bought a lottery ticket that day. I think your odds of winning were better than that happening. Sorry bout your luck.

Hope this doesn't make you hesitate to get right back into a Jeep.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, but it could conceivably start underneath, with the transmission, and move to the front before getting into the passenger compartment. The firewall does its job, but the floor could act somewhat as a firewall, too, with the exception of some sizeable holes for the shift mechanisms and the drain holes. Still, if the engine had some kind of catastrophic failure, it could possible be felt through the shifter.

I'm no expert in any way, so anything coming from me should be taken for what it is worth. I'm just curious.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause in this case, but only a possibility to consider and investigate....there have been a number of times where I found debris in my JK stuck under the skid plates, in the suspension components, and along the frame. However, the JK's skid plating makes it more vulnerable to this, IMO. The JL's plates are more open and don't look like they could trap debris as closely to the exhaust as could happen on the JK. Of course, there are still thousands of ways that kind of thing can happen to a JL, or even damage to fuel lines and such. Brush and debris can get anywhere. I had a Polaris 800 ATV with very expensive CV joint guards and skids, and still had a stick get up in there and tear a CV boot. It was on a very mild trail where I didn't even remember running over anything that would have posed the risk.

One thing I do EVERY time I go off road, is to thoroughly visually inspect the underside of the vehicle after every off-road excursion, and during every oil change. I've never had a fire, but have pulled LOTS of crud from LOTS of places underneath my ATV's and Jeeps. I always worry about a fire and carry an extinguisher.

I'm getting ready to switch to one of these in each vehicle, my garage, and the kitchen in our house, btw....They last longer and have no expiration date and are lightweight, small, and easy to store. https://elementfire.com/
Agreed on all points. And thanks for that link. I'm definitely grabbing at least a couple. Home and work I have covered with the traditional types but never hurts to be prepared, without the bulkiness, while out and about.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
No car company would do what you were expecting. C'mon man. Do you even know how insurance works? No offense. Just make the claim, get another jeep if you want one so bad and be done with it. This really is a rare rare occurrence.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I am so confused. You experience a total loss due to fire, call your insurance company to report it and they say “thanks for the info, have a nice day .”????
Assuming you have full collision/comprehensive, your insurance company should have been Johnny on the spot walking you through the claim and telling you not to wait around for Jeep to take care of you. Maybe it will turn out to be a warranty issue, but as others have said, Jeep isn’t going to admit liability on anything without forensics.
Ya none of this makes sense or its a BS Story.