2018 Wrangler Caught Fire!!

Coopdog02

First Name
Aren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Well, this is not how I wanted to post on my first Wrangler forum, but Chrysler and Jeep have left me no choice. I purchased a NEW 2018 JL Unlimited about 6 weeks ago and was enjoying it. It had been my wife's dream vehicle and she had waited 18 years to finally get a new Wrangler. After 1 month of use (~1500 miles) the Jeep had some sort of explosion underneath and caught fire while driving (luckily everyone was safe). It was completely burned out and totaled after being engulfed by the fire. As much as I wish that the worst part of the story was the fire, unfortunately Jeep's customer service and lack of concern for us over the last 3 WEEKS has trumped it. The fire happened on August 24th and as of the time of this post on September 9th I have not had a single Jeep or Chrysler employee reach out to me to give any information regarding the case, a replacement, or letting us know anything. We have been left with no vehicle, given no loaner or rental, received ZERO communication from anyone at Jeep to help us through this tough time (again, 3 WEEKS AFTER THE FIRE). My wife's dream car has turned into a nightmare situation. It's awesome to know that after spending $40,000 on a new Wrangler and having it catch fire a month later, Jeep simply leaves you in the dust. Looks like I am on the hook for another payment this week for a burned out corpse of a Wrangler that is sitting at a tow yard. Communication any time would be nice. Maybe someone monitoring this forum can help me!?!?
Sponsored

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Do you have pictures of the Jeep before the fire?
Where were you driving?

OP
OP

Coopdog02

First Name
Aren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Won't insurance help? I agree Jeep should take interest but these things are not exactly blowing up going down the road. Seems like an unusual case.
I can file an insurance claim (and probably will have to soon at this rate), but at the end of the day it had a bumper-to-bumper warranty and lasted 1,500 miles. I will lose quite a bit of money from a down payment, belongings in the vehicle, etc. I understand their need to take time to investigate the problem and cause. I just expected more from "Jeep Cares" when something like this happens. A simple customer service rep to help guide someone through the matter doesn't seem like too much to ask?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Won't insurance help? I agree Jeep should take interest but these things are not exactly blowing up going down the road. Seems like an unusual case.
Agreed - I'd be talking to my insurance company not Jeep. Sure it might turn out to be FCA's fault, but I pay my insurance company to figure that stuff out.

Sponsored

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I would contact your insurance company and let them deal with it. They will likely investigate the cause and if they conclude its Jeeps fault they will likely go after them. But this really seems like an insurance claim not a Jeep issue.

DesertRat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well, this is not how I wanted to post on my first Wrangler forum, but Chrysler and Jeep have left me no choice. I purchased a NEW 2018 JL Unlimited about 6 weeks ago and was enjoying it. It had been my wife's dream vehicle and she had waited 18 years to finally get a new Wrangler. After 1 month of use (~1500 miles) the Jeep had some sort of explosion underneath and caught fire while driving (luckily everyone was safe). It was completely burned out and totaled after being engulfed by the fire. As much as I wish that the worst part of the story was the fire, unfortunately Jeep's customer service and lack of concern for us over the last 3 WEEKS has trumped it. The fire happened on August 24th and as of the time of this post on September 9th I have not had a single Jeep or Chrysler employee reach out to me to give any information regarding the case, a replacement, or letting us know anything. We have been left with no vehicle, given no loaner or rental, received ZERO communication from anyone at Jeep to help us through this tough time (again, 3 WEEKS AFTER THE FIRE). My wife's dream car has turned into a nightmare situation. It's awesome to know that after spending $40,000 on a new Wrangler and having it catch fire a month later, Jeep simply leaves you in the dust. Looks like I am on the hook for another payment this week for a burned out corpse of a Wrangler that is sitting at a tow yard. Communication any time would be nice. Maybe someone monitoring this forum can help me!?!?

Which engine, V6 or 4-cyl. ? Details would be good.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I can file an insurance claim (and probably will have to soon at this rate), but at the end of the day it had a bumper-to-bumper warranty and lasted 1,500 miles. I will lose quite a bit of money from a down payment, belongings in the vehicle, etc. I understand their need to take time to investigate the problem and cause. I just expected more from "Jeep Cares" when something like this happens. A simple customer service rep to help guide someone through the matter doesn't seem like too much to ask?
I don't disagree necessarily, but in today's litigious society it is better for them to say nothing. I'm sure you'd get the same out of any corporation.

OP
OP

Coopdog02

First Name
Aren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have pictures of the Jeep before the fire?
Where were you driving?
Yeah, there were some pics when we first got the Jeep. My wife was super excited to finally have one.

Driving down a city road. Only driving 35-40 mph.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@Coopdog02 you state some sort of explosion underneath, was this a 2.0 Turbo? Lithium batteries have been known to violently catch fire, they even gounded a whole fleet of planes. Glad everyone is OK. wish your welcome to the forum would have been under different circumstances.

Gregj

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Insurance should cover full replacement value. I wrecked a car many years ago- insurance paid full replacement plus sales tax, average dealer fee, and registration.