Sponsored

2018 Wrangler - 1st gear goes BACKWARDS! (see video)

DavidC70

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrngler 2018
SEE VIDEO:::::

I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not really sure how to describe what happened...

The transmission was replaced due to 2nd gear popping out by itself (violently) when decelerating. (Never while upshifting.)

I picked up the car, put it in 1st gear, eased off the clutch... and it went backwards!! The red safety that one must squeeze to get into R was not working. You could slide into R by mistake.

Reverse was where 1st gear used to be. Okay, fine. Maybe I need to adjust to the new feel? No. I took the car down the road - it now has 2 reverse gears!! There's one R that you can engage by depressing the red safety lever on the stick, the "other" R is where 1st gear used to be (no safety lever needed to engage). If you slide over to where 3rd gear used to be, then you find the new 1st gear.

Confused? Try driving it over a windy mtn road. I have all 6 manual gears and 2 reverse positions now. (Both R positions will turn on the backup camera).

It's super dangerous. Imagine a green light, you don't think and pop into 1st gear, then ram the car behind you because you're going backwards.

Jeep tried to tell me that they didn't notice anything wrong. Holy s#$%. After playing around w/ the shifter, they agreed that something was wrong. I take it back next week. Meanwhile, I just have to remember not to accidentally downshift into R. Amazing that I almost have to yell and beg before someone notices (and owns) a glaring manufacturer problem like this.

I have no idea if this is a transmission install issue or if the stick wasn't re-engaged into the car properly.

Any guesses?
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Wow. Not a mechanic either but it's astounding they released it to you like this. How do you even get it out of the garage without noticing the problem?

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
This is crazy. There has to be some explanation but I don't understand how it's possible.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The shifter cables are out of adjustment.
Are there shifter cables on a rear-drive vehicle like this? Pretty sure the shift lever engages directly into the transmission. I know FWD vehicles use cables.
Sponsored