MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
But, you're right. In 2028 when my battery pack is out of warranty, if I still have the jeep and have to replace it, it will probably be around $1000.
Yes, people forget to mention that even though there are no current issues with 48v battery.... its warranted for 8/80K years just in case... And by then those batteries should be better and cheaper which is another benefit... Maybe they will be smaller so we can get a 2nd 48v as a backup. The future is electric 💯

Also the brake assist of the e-tourque helps the braking systems last longer, especially for those that run larger tires.

It's complicated but it seems to be working without issues. 🤷
It's complicated and covered for a long time just in case.
It's complicated but so is the electrical systems and power systems in general.
The last non-complicated Jeep was the JK 😜 CHEERS 🍻
Sponsored

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
Hello Turbo Friends,

It’s been a while!!! I hope everyone has been enjoying their 2.0L as much as I’ve been enjoying mine.

Decision time:
My lease is about to expire in August, and I have to decide if I’m buying my 2018 JLR or trading it for a 2021 model. I noticed that the eTorque is no longer offered with 2.0Ls. Does anyone have thoughts (or experience) on which version is better - 2018 2.0L with eTorque vs. 2021 2.0L solo? Is the difference even truly noticeable? Views on future resale value?

Obviously there are many other factors to consider… but I love my 2018 2.0L JLR, so before I even consider switching to a 2021 model with no eTorque I’d like to make sure it won’t take the fun out of my Turbo.

PS: I wish I could simply test-drive a 2021 Turbo JLR, but there isn’t one near me at the moment, so if anyone has first-hand experience I’d love to hear how the new version compares to the previous generation. Thank you! :like:
Follow-up to my initial question…

I ended up trading my 2018 JLR 2.0 with eTorque for a 2021 JLR 2.0 without eTorque. I love them both but feel some subtle differences.

It could all be in my head or be due to other factors than the eTorque, but it seems like the 2021 is smoother while the 2018 had more “oomph”. My 2018 was literally jumping off the starting blocks: I could instantaneously feel a powerful acceleration when I floored it. My 2021 is fast too, but transitions are less noticeable. I must admit part of me misses the way my 2018 lunged forward, but I think the 2021 will be more pleasant for passengers as it is a little less jerky and feels more controlled.

Bottom line: they’re both very responsive and a lot of fun to drive! The 2018 felt a bit more like a muscle car and I enjoyed that, but the 2021 feels more effortless and is quickly growing on me too.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Follow-up to my initial question…

I ended up trading my 2018 JLR 2.0 with eTorque for a 2021 JLR 2.0 without eTorque. I love them both but feel some subtle differences.

It could all be in my head or be due to other factors than the eTorque, but it seems like the 2021 is smoother while the 2018 had more “oomph”. My 2018 was literally jumping off the starting blocks: I could instantaneously feel a powerful acceleration when I floored it. My 2021 is fast too, but transitions are less noticeable. I must admit part of me misses the way my 2018 lunged forward, but I think the 2021 will be more pleasant for passengers as it is a little less jerky and feels more controlled.

Bottom line: they’re both very responsive and a lot of fun to drive! The 2018 felt a bit more like a muscle car and I enjoyed that, but the 2021 feels more effortless and is quickly growing on me too.
Probably a minor change in the engine's PCM calibration for throttle response, throttle mapping, or torque management. Calibrations get updated all the time.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney

Ha, yea sometimes my 2018 feels like someone sprinkled cocaine in the intake.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Ha, yea sometimes my 2018 feels like someone sprinkled cocaine in the intake.
Glad it's not just me. Before the winch my 2018 JLR's front suspension would go full droop when that torque would hit. I started to wonder if wheelies were possible...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Probably a minor change in the engine's PCM calibration for throttle response, throttle mapping, or torque management. Calibrations get updated all the time.
It was the eTorque's eRoll Assist providing extra torque to get the vehicle moving.

This was posted before about eTorque somewhere.

"Basically, eTorque provides six functions:

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the abrupt starter, eTorque uses a 48V battery and belt-starter generator to re-start the engine within 400 milliseconds.
  2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque gives the first half tire rotation a "push" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.
  3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.
  4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have to cope with the parasitic loss.
  5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of using extra fuel.
  6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads."

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It was the eTorque's eRoll Assist providing extra torque to get the vehicle moving.

This was posted before about eTorque somewhere.

"Basically, eTorque provides six functions:

1. Stop-Start: Unlike ESS, which uses the abrupt starter, eTorque uses a 48V battery and belt-starter generator to re-start the engine within 400 milliseconds.
  2. eRoll Assist: when starting to move, eTorque gives the first half tire rotation a "push" down at inefficient low engine revs to get the vehicle moving.
  3. Upshift Rev Matching: when the engine needs to upshift, eTorque scrubs off engine speed to rev match for a smooth shift, and stores that energy in the 48V battery instead of using the transmission clutches to scrub off that speed.
  4. Electronic System power: the 48V battery is used to power the vehicle electrical loads so that the engine doesn't have to cope with the parasitic loss.
  5. Downshift Rev Matching: eTorque accelerates the engine for smooth shifts instead of using extra fuel.
  6. Regenerative Braking: under coasting or normal braking conditions, eTorque puts a load on the engine and uses the BSG to store energy that would normally have to be absorbed by the brake pads."
I highly doubt it's eTorque doing this. It doesn't have that much power, and it certainly doesn't come on at 2500 RPM.

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon

not sure if I posted this before.
The issue with this video is it's the wrong vehicle.

Depending on the vehicle and the engine there are different quoted torque numbers so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the rest of the details are all a little different too.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Point proven. In your video it states..

2.0 70tq
3.6 90tq
5.7 130tq

I have a feeling most of the wrangler videos are just people quoting the info from the majority of the 5.7 videos.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I highly doubt it's eTorque doing this. It doesn't have that much power, and it certainly doesn't come on at 2500 RPM.
I owned a 2.0 w/ eTorque and drove a few 2.0 ESS. There is definitely a noticeable difference right off the line. The eTorque's assist and extra torque helps to get the wheels moving. It's only a half a wheel rotation but it's noticeable. The power and acceleration felt the same once moving.
Sponsored

Last edited: