Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my 2021 with the Hurricane 4 cylinder motor specifically because it was the only way I could get it without the incredibly complex E-Torque system and its huge $1500.00 battery. I couldn't be happier with this motor. Even with stock 4.10's and 37" tires it is faster than my JK was with 35's and 4.10's. It is a fantastic motor with the 8 speed auto.
I fully agree with bigfoot!!! I have the E-torque on my Sahara but didn't have to go with it on my Rubicon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I fully agree with bigfoot!!! I have the E-torque on my Sahara but didn't have to go with it on my Rubicon.
Can you feel a difference between the two Turbos? If so, Iā€™d love to hear what you like better about your 2021 2.0Tā€¦ Or is it more a matter of getting a similar driving experience, with one less part?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Can you feel a difference between the two Turbos? If so, Iā€™d love to hear what you like better about your 2021 2.0Tā€¦ Or is it more a matter of getting a similar driving experience, with one less part?
I cannot tell difference in them. Sahara has 33's with Teraflex 1.5 spacer Kit and Rubicon 35's with Mopar 2.0 lift. Better MPG with Sahara than the Rubicon for sure. As far as power goes they are both the same.

Jeep took the E-Torque away from 2021 Build sheet. Which I was happy to see. Its just that high dollar battery they have.

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
I cannot tell difference in them. Sahara has 33's with Teraflex 1.5 spacer Kit and Rubicon 35's with Mopar 2.0 lift. Better MPG with Sahara than the Rubicon for sure. As far as power goes they are both the same.

Jeep took the E-Torque away from 2021 Build sheet. Which I was happy to see. Its just that high dollar battery they have.
Thank you, NewJLU! Thatā€˜s helpful.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
FWIW: I've seen more issues on this forum with the smaller non-eTorque battery than I have with the whole eTorque system. Yes, it's more complicated/expensive and has the potential for other things to go wrong, but the smaller 12V battery isn't exactly proving to be more reliable.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
FWIW: I've seen more issues on this forum with the smaller non-eTorque battery than I have with the whole eTorque system. Yes, it's more complicated/expensive and has the potential for other things to go wrong, but the smaller 12V battery isn't exactly proving to be more reliable.
Good to knowā€¦ Thanks, AnnDee.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Seems itā€™s easier to jump start an eTorque as well.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I thought the 2020ā€™s didnā€™t have etorque? My 2020 JLUR 2.0 does not.
I have a JLUR Recon. The Recons were the only Rubicons that came with etorque in 2020.

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
As others have said the main difference will be in the start stop. The eTorque is almost seamless like a true hybrid vehicle, the non eTorque you will feel the starter every time. I also enjoy the low end torque boost from the eTorque. My Rubi still feels like a rocket off the line with 37's. I imagine normal driving will be about the same as the eTorque says it only gives torque under 1500rpm, maybe its a placebo but it really moves out of the hole lol. My personal opinion is if there is nothing wrong with your 2018 or things that are bothering you don't think its worth getting a new one. That being said if there was a color or something else you really liked at the end of the day I always say do what makes you happy haha. Good Luck!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First thing I do is turn Start Stop off on both Jeeps. The amount of fuel saved is so little its not worth it.

Just not a fan of it. I know lots of people who turn it off. Sitting at red light in Texas when its 100 plus the heat off road and your AC trips off due to that SS shutting off not for me. :whew::sun:

OP
OP
CatskillsAlex

CatskillsAlex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door Rubicon
As others have said the main difference will be in the start stop. The eTorque is almost seamless like a true hybrid vehicle, the non eTorque you will feel the starter every time. I also enjoy the low end torque boost from the eTorque. My Rubi still feels like a rocket off the line with 37's. I imagine normal driving will be about the same as the eTorque says it only gives torque under 1500rpm, maybe its a placebo but it really moves out of the hole lol. My personal opinion is if there is nothing wrong with your 2018 or things that are bothering you don't think its worth getting a new one. That being said if there was a color or something else you really liked at the end of the day I always say do what makes you happy haha. Good Luck!
From one Alex to anotherā€¦ Thank you! ;)

All great points, and probably why the decision is not an obvious one to meā€¦ there is no wrong choice here, only two really great Jeeps! :rock:

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Only the Sahara and Recon still came with it.
Thatā€™s what I thought. Maybe the guys post I was questioning has a Rubicon Recon then? He said his 2020 JLUR so I took it as a regular rubi.