Sponsored

2018 Tops and other options - what a hockey dad should order

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
Merry Christmas All!
So the wife have given her ok for the new Wrangler.
Like many on this forum (I believe), this will be my everyday driver. I have young 2 boys (6 and 8) and looking for something fun and also practical. Moving from an Audi Q5 which was very nice, but want to be able to take the top down and enjoy the spring/summer after long Northeast Winter. Owned a 2-door wrangler about 20 years ago which loved fun of driving even with the noise associated with soft-top.
Off road mostly limited to trips up to Maine and the coast in the summer (dirt, beach, but not true rock-climbing). Ability to do well in snow important.

With that being said, some things I have been trying to understand when it comes to options and what makes sense.

1. Would seem that Sahara with Selec-Trac would be way to go. While I like the look of Rubicon a little more, its not enough to make up for what seems like a little more suitable ride. Thoughts?

2. I'm torn between going with Power Soft-Top and the Premium Sunrider Soft Top. I like the ease of the power soft-top but it also seems soft of like a big panoramic roof (similar to my present Q5). I get that it actually opens up above passenger seats which is more than Q5 Panoramic. The side window removal looks nice and easy and maybe with those off it feels more open? So questions:
- how much quieter is the power soft-top than standard soft top when closed? (I'm not going to add hard top as no place to store it).
- in a Northeast winter am I going to regret not having back window made of glass?
- how much more is power-soft going to costs and is it known when will be available?

3. I'd love to go back to manual transmission. Any reason I should hesitate here. Q5 is only automatic I've ever owned and I missed the fun of driving with stick shift.

4. Any reason for me to be worried about safety?

Any other suggestions/comments appreciated.
Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps have always been about what you want out of it, and if a Sahara with Selec-Trac is your ideal way to go then that I would say its a good choice!

Your questions
- how much quieter is the power soft-top than standard soft top when closed? (I'm not going to add hard top as no place to store it).
  • According to TFL (and my own thought from watching the video) its actually louder than expected...louder or quieter than a standard soft top has yet to be determined. Considering those guys are Jeep fans, and it was one of the first things they commented on in the AZ to Moab video they released a short while ago....I would say it must be decently loud, but like you said, it didnt bother you before and I am sure its still quieter than older Jeeps regular tops.
- in a Northeast winter am I going to regret not having back window made of glass?
  • I have watched a 3 year old JK soft top rear window split down the middle during winter, but I also have a 17 year old TJ and 5 year old JK, both with soft tops that never have had a problem (JK is factory, TJ is about 6 years old)....so that is a toss up honestly....would I be concerned? Not really....would I try to roll my back window up when its freezing out....NO! lol
  • The better question here is will the power top handle heavy Northeast winters? Weight of snow...slow melting snow seeping through the crack in the top? Will it drain right or pool up under the top? Nobody knows man. If it were me and I lived in the Northeast I would go dual top with the premium soft, and regular hard top. Since you said storage is a problem then that does not really apply I suppose and I would highly recommend you go with the Premium soft top vs the standard soft top if you go that route and not the power top.
- how much more is power-soft going to costs and is it known when will be available?
  • We do not know the cost just yet, but I would imagine a pretty premium, availability is suppose to be in May according to the latest plant schedule released.
Manual transmission vs auto....personal preference really....manual transmission vehicles are easy to drive these days compared to their older cousins, this will be no different I am sure. Since it does not have the same throw as a bus anymore like TJs and JKs I cant wait to get mine!

Let me throw a hypothetical for ya:
The base model, maunual transmission Sahara with Selec-Trac option added is $40,030
The base model, automatic transmission Sahara with Selec-Trac option added is $42,030
The base model, manual transmission Rubicon is $41,690
The base model, automatic transmission Rubicon is $43,690

So whats the difference?
-Sahara (w/selec-trac optioned) VS Rubicon-
255/70r18 street treads VS 33" A/Ts
dana 30/44 combo with 3.34s and selec-trac rear VS HD 44s, 4.10s and lockers
18" rims VS 17" rims
Painted fenders VS non painted fenders ($395 upgrade option)
both have the 7" Uconnect
both have premium seats
both will have the power top option when it releases

So just a hypothetical regardless of what transmission you pick, why the Sahara? For another $1,660 ($2,055 if you want painted fenders) you get so much more Jeep and any concerns you have about northeast winters can safely be guaranteed as non issues.

If you were talking about a Sport I would get it, the prices are much higher...but I dont get what Jeep was doing with the Sahara this go around....you get so much more Jeep for an insignificant amount of more money when your comparing Sahara to Rubicon.

$2,000 is $2,000 dont get me wrong....thats nothing to snuff at....but in this case the value is way more than there.

Last edited:

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
1. Everyday ride: particularly with additional backseat occupants: Sahara, in fact the 4 door.

2. The people at TFLCar.com found that the power top, after being subjected to a manual car wash, leaked water into the vehicle after the doors where open and the roof's rain gutters (if not the power top itself) leaked into the car. Now, do some report this behavior with other Wranglers and tops, yes. But is the new powertop relatively expensive and unproven technology: also yes. Still more, the top is not designed to be easily removed in exchange for another type of top--although doable, and it makes lowering the windshield difficult I read.

The new softtop is so easy to remove. The only limitation is you have to pull over to do it whereas with the new power top, all you have to do is travel under 60 mph to open or close it.

Sure, the new powertop does feature a regular back window made of glass, which in areas which get snow, might prove advantageous.

3. Will going back to manual preclude others from driving the Wrangler? If so, only you can determine if this is a good or bad thing.

4. Safety: the Wrangler is a tradeoff in my opinion. Sure there are vehicles that provide rear side airbags that the Wrangler does not, and are likely to get better crash test results IN THEIR CLASS than Wrangler, but the key words here are "in their class." To point, I'd probably rather be in the back seat of the Wrangler in a crash with a small and lower riding vehicle with lots of rear airbags.

Considering merging your love of the softtop with the back window of the hard top and get the hard top, remove the Freedom Panels, and replace them with aftermarket soft solutions that replace the Freedom Panels.

You've got 8 and 6 year olds. You're going to carry gear. And if its valuable enough, a softtop won't get much in the way of getting it stolen.

Good luck.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, there are rewards that come with that. ;)
Man I could not agree more with this statement! lol. There are two types of married men in this country....those that have it figured out, and those that are mad.

Sponsored

OP
OP

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
;) permission (before dropping 40k) just makes the process much easier.

That being said, appreciate all the responses.
I can read the other threads on Rubicon vs. Sahara as seems there is clearly variability in thought there. Cost pretty much the same once you add selec-trac.

I also am a believer that when something is being tried for the first time (power-soft top and maybe to a lesser extent the 2.0 engine) maybe safest to wait until kinks are worked out and based on input I'm thinking I will avoid the power top. I really enjoy being able to take the soft top all way back and wouldn't go for only hard-top/freedom. However in doing a little more research it sounds like with things like TopLift removing the hardtop isn't that bad and maybe switching back and forth (summer/winter is best option). Have a 2 car garage so guess could store as needed in summer. How difficult is full removal or hard-top and soft-top on 2018- can't find reviews of this so I am assuming it is unchanged from 2017? Or maybe not.

I'm most interested in peoples thoughts on tops and removal (with permission of course). I see plenty of soft-tops here in New England in winter.

leafsfan1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sahara unlimited
I find that its easier to beg for forgiveness,than to ask for permission.

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Here's another thought...Rubi is gonna hold value a little better than Sahara. Get the Rubi...if it doesn't fit your needs, you're still gonna be able to sell it for almost what you paid for it, then buy a similarly equipped Sahara for a couple Grand less. These decisions aren't irreversible.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How difficult is full removal or hard-top and soft-top on 2018- can't find reviews of this so I am assuming it is unchanged from 2017? Or maybe not.
Hard tops are easy, in the JK it was 6 or 8 bolts if I remember right, and the JL is about the same I believe (based on hard top bolt storage slots seen in videos). The top is not exactly light but is movable by a single individual especially if you have a tall enough garage with hoists installed. You can do the hoist setup by going to a hardware store and mounting some hooks or rings into the cross members in your garage ceiling (sorry I am not in that business...I think they are called cross members...beams...ceiling studs....you get the idea.) You can get as fancy or as non fancy as you want, just use ratchet straps to hold it up long enough to drive out from under it/back into it....or go full on fancy and buy an ATV winch to raise and lower it I suppose. There are also hoist kits specifically made for this setup too. I use to just slide ours off the back of the Jeep, set it on my back, and walk it over to a set of saw horses.....of course I was 26 and still in the military back then....probably would not attempt that now.

For the soft tops....man the JL top is the easiest yet...no zippers! Here check this video out, its a 2 door but the idea is the same regardless. The 4 door top is of course longer but once you drop the sun-rider portion back its basically the same thing because it rides those slide rails.

Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
Also being from the Northeast I would say having rear defrosters and a rear wiper is super important. That thing gets sh!tted up pretty quickly. Especially with all the salt on the roads.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
You sound like the perfect person for a mytop
I've never liked the myTop. IMHO... The top needs to collapse lower in the back for it to look good.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I have 11 (06) and 8 (09) year olds that play hockey.

The soft top rear window has to be opened (zippers for JK and velcro for JL) and then kinda tossed on top to get the bags out of the back. It's not a big deal on a rainy day when warm. But through the winter? No thanks. 430 am loading the Jeep and having to open that then opening and closing it again at the rink? Gets old fast. Not to mention that the rear window becomes stiff as a dead guy when below 40 degrees. Hard to open it.

You need the glass rear. Hardtop or power top? I don't think the power top being open in the summer will complete your soon to be had Jeep experience of driving around roof off. This is why we buy Jeeps. Same for you. The power top is nice; but you won't be completely happy (my guess) unless it's fully open with the rear open to the elements.

Get the dual top option.

I run the hard top basically from October to the end of March. The freedom panels are great for those warm days between and you want the open roof feeling.

After the season ends and before April tryouts; I put the soft top on. I'm driving to the rink a little less and the excitement for the warmer weather makes the soft top fun to have on then.

If the soft top is up; I'll leave the rear windows out of the soft top most days in the spring and summer when warmer. Putting gear in then is super easy and it allows smelly kids to air out. If the windows are in, the warmer temps make the rear window pliable and easier to open and close.

But for the regular season, hard top. Remote starter. heated seats. Rear defroster and wiper...

You can fit their sticks behind the seats until they are in/done with Pee Wees. After that they have to go over the seat between the kids.

There are always several JKs at all the rinks.

Don't allow your kids to get those Grit Sumo roller bags. You can fit 2 behind the seats - but the traditional carry bags fit much better. Not to mention that the roller bags are for "benders" according to my kids. Get them used to the real bags now and your life will be better as a parent. Two very heavy Grit bags in the JK almost fills the whole cargo area. Hard to go to tournaments without luggage...

If you drive to as many tournaments as we do; you'll appreciate the hard top that much more. Not to mention the added security at the various rinks and at all the hotels you'll be at. I leave their sticks in the Jeep at nights, but their bags always go in to dry. You really can't lock a soft top nor a soft roof (power top) since they can be cut.

Sticks are at least $100 plus anymore as you know.

I have a few other hockey parent friends with JKs also. We all run the dual tops. From tryouts through August you don't live at the rink as much as you do during the winter (2 days a week as opposed to the daily visit for us); so opening the back up isn't as much of a burden.

I've owned Wranglers since 1997. Owned kids since 2006. Been at the rinks since 2009.

mlong003

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
If your tossing gear in the back, you most def want the hard top/glass window back. I have both soft and hard tops and having the ease to toss gear in there without dealing with zippers/panels is really nice - especially in winter. You also get a bit more security with the hard top. Soft top all spring/summer/fall though! Consider storage for both when not in use.

I'm not sold on this power sliding hard top yet. I'd go dual top for now. And the TFL car review did show those leaks from the gutter and door trim. Who knows how the actual mechanics and seals of the top will pan out.

Manual vs Auto-Always the big debate. City driving? Stop and go? MPGs? I've always driven manual. I drive a 16' manual Sahara and there was a recall on the shift lever and it hasn't been the same sense and hella noisy. I personally wouldn't buy another one (even though the mechanics are completely different in the JL) but I haven't heard any reviews on the new one yet. The 8 speed auto is sounding nice. I'm waiting for the diesel.

Good luck!
Sponsored