Sponsored

2018 Sport JL Transmission: Auto vs Manual?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The gearing seems acceptable to me so far... I've only put around 300 or so miles on it though and I'm taking it easy during the break-in period... Most of the time, I suspect that I'm only driving around 1000-2000 RPMs...
It is nearly impossible to drive a JL manual wrangler between 1000-2000 rpms in any gear higher than 2nd gear without it bucking or a strange hestitation. Bad gearing amplified by a bad oem tune.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been driving autos for several years after driving manuals most of my life. I really like the manual in mine but don't like the shifter....it feels numb. But over all, the manual works for me.
The JL shifter is the best I have found in any generation wrangler. Itā€™s the gearing that is the problem.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my world it sucks.....so I guess we disagree.
Oh, I donā€™t disagree when compared to my s2000 or several of my Miatas. However, it is much better than my 86 CJ7. Lol

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
Oh, I donā€™t disagree when compared to my s2000 or several of my Miatas. However, it is much better than my 86 CJ7. Lol
My 86 had a T176 and I loved the way it shifted. We all look at things differently.

On a side note, do you know where Hillsboro, IL is? I might be back there in a couple of weeks.

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 86 had a T176 and I loved the way it shifted. We all look at things differently.

On a side note, do you know where Hillsboro, IL is? I might be back there in a couple of weeks.
Yep, itā€™s about 80 miles north east from me. Small town Midwest.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
The main reason I got a Wrangler was by elimination. I wanted new SUV with manual transmission and 4low. The Wrangler was the only one for sale in the USA that fit the bill.
Iā€™m happy with my purchase. What is lacking is for me is power, but there are options out there to fix that. :idea:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
It is nearly impossible to drive a JL manual wrangler between 1000-2000 rpms in any gear higher than 2nd gear without it bucking or a strange hestitation. Bad gearing amplified by a bad oem tune.
It helps if you are on flat land and are not in a hurry... :)

Sponsored

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The main reason I got a Wrangler was by elimination. I wanted new SUV with manual transmission and 4low. The Wrangler was the only one for sale in the USA that fit the bill.
Iā€™m happy with my purchase. What is lacking is for me is power, but there are options out there to fix that. :idea:
Why does it lack power? And curious as to what options fix that

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Power is adequate for virtually any conditions you're likely to encounter if you're operating in a gear appropriate to those conditions. If that wasn't the case, the Wrangler would've gone the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.

You can't fix what ain't broke, except for operator error.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no lack of power on the Wrangler. I should have explained better: like I said I was not shopping for a Wrangler. I was looking at a Range Rover supercharged. Iā€™ve had several Range Rovers but I wanted a manual transmission. I made that the number one condition. So the Wrangler lacks power only by comparison.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
There is no lack of power on the Wrangler. I should have explained better: like I said I was not shopping for a Wrangler. I was looking at a Range Rover supercharged. Iā€™ve had several Range Rovers but I wanted a manual transmission. I made that the number one condition. So the Wrangler lacks power only by comparison.
Ah- Iā€™ve never driven a Range rover but they are cool looking vehicles. I saw a commercial yesterday that you can fold the second/third row seats with the phone app. Cool!

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah- Iā€™ve never driven a Range rover but they are cool looking vehicles. I saw a commercial yesterday that you can fold the second/third row seats with the phone app. Cool!
No comments, the guardians of the Jeep cult are watching :lipssealed::giggle:
Sponsored