Sponsored

2018 Sahara Lift advice - real advice needed

mgrenn15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara
Hey guys.
I have a 2018 JLU Sahara. I have Rubi take off wheels and tires (~33" BF KO2).

Note - I plan on doing VERY LITTLE offroading -and even then light trails. This is my daily driver and I am NOT an offroader.

I'd like to get a 2.5 inch lift, but am getting conflicting advice from two dealers:
1. [Cheap option]: Can I keep my BFG KO2 tires and wheels, get a 2.5" spacer lift?
2.[A bit more option]: Can I keep my BFF K02 tires and wheels, get a 2.5" spacer lift and add wheel spacers for a wider stance?
3. [more expensive option]: Am I just fooling myself and should I just go with a new suspension lift and 35" in tires?

I have searched this forum up and down but am having troubles sorting it all out.
Thanks!
Sponsored

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Honestly...you're gonna be happier with option 3. Just do it right the first time and it'll save you money and headache...

OP
OP

mgrenn15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sahara
Honestly...you're gonna be happier with option 3. Just do it right the first time and it'll save you money and headache...
Thanks Jason - My setup looks very similar to your profile pic. I have rubicon takeoff wheels - looks like you do too.

Are those 33's or 35's? Am I accurate that they're the standard rubi wheels?

And finally, if you had it lifted, did you put spacers on your wheels to give it a wider stance?

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
This isn't an ego comment or anything here, and I don't mean any offense or to be one of those uppity types. I am curious though, if you aren't doing any off roading then why even bother with the lift? You're going to take a fuel economy penalty, and the ride quality could potentially deteriorate (extra important here since you said it is your daily driver). I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit.

I always follow the advice of trying to fit the largest tires you can with the lowest lift required dependent on the type of driving you do. You'd be saving yourself a lot of money just sticking with the stock suspension if you are sticking to mild trails.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys.

Note - I plan on doing VERY LITTLE offroading -and even then light trails. This is my daily driver and I am NOT an offroader.

I'd like to get a 2.5 inch lift, but am getting conflicting advice from two dealers:
1. [Cheap option]: Can I keep my BFG KO2 tires and wheels, get a 2.5" spacer lift?
2.[A bit more option]: Can I keep my BFF K02 tires and wheels, get a 2.5" spacer lift and add wheel spacers for a wider stance?
3. [more expensive option]: Am I just fooling myself and should I just go with a new suspension lift and 35" in tires?

I have searched this forum up and down but am having troubles sorting it all out.
Thanks!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/pics-of-33s-and-a-lift.24829/post-1132262

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
One option not mentioned, Get a Rubi suspension take offs. It technically would still be stock. You would just change out the springs and shocks. And if needed you can replace the LCA's. There has been considerable discussion on the forum whether or not to change.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on what your goal is. Do you want a wider stance? Then yes to wheel spacers; lift not necessary. You can do 33s on stock rims with zero lift or spacers. I’ve done some moderate wheeling with 33s on my Sport with no spacers or lift, and it did just fine. I have a lift now, but that’s because I intend on doing more radical wheeling.

What are YOUR goals?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
For “aggressive” perspective, here’s my Sport, 3.5” JKS suspension lift, 33s, stock rims, no spacers.

0EE33C10-96FD-49FC-8A84-9622A39403F1.jpeg

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
You're talking mostly about clearance.
I've read that there can be gearing problems with larger tires on the Sport. People have said that they put 33s on and their car could not go to 8th gear on the highway. 35s would make it even worse. I'm curious about this myself because the logical tire upgrade for a Sprot is to find Rubicon takeoffs for a good savings over new wheels and tires. (Otherwise the 17" wheels all seem to be the same width so there is no benefit to Rubicon wheels except for the appearance. Your Sahara probably has 18" wheels and you can put bigger tires on them, you just have to search for a different width/section ratio tire.)

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys.

Thanks!
From your description, you don't need lift at all, especially 2.5" lift, especially especially with limit budget. If you go with any cheap 2.5" lift kit, you will have a crappy ride, then you have to throw in adjustable track bar, control arms, brackets, even drive shaft and axle will wear out fast.

So you either spend much more or you have crappy ride, all for what? Just a little bit "aggressive look".

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I've read that there can be gearing problems with larger tires on the Sport. People have said that they put 33s on and their car could not go to 8th gear on the highway. 35s would make it even worse. I'm curious about this myself because the logical tire upgrade for a Sprot is to find Rubicon takeoffs for a good savings over new wheels and tires. (Otherwise the 17" wheels all seem to be the same width so there is no benefit to Rubicon wheels except for the appearance. Your Sahara probably has 18" wheels and you can put bigger tires on them, you just have to search for a different width/section ratio tire.)
I have the 8spd auto. With my 33s I routinely see 8th gear at 60-65 MPH on the flat, no significant head wind - with the 3.5” (true 4”) suspension lift.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
with the plans of no real off roading, but want to run 33s, you will be ok with a 1.5 to 2" spacer lift. its the best and most budget friendly move. as mentioned before you will see a slight drop in mpg while running 33. i dont think you need the wheel spacers because your not going to flex as much on easy trails. might have a little rubbing on full lock to lock steering.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Hey guys.

Thanks!
May I weigh in an optimal solution—

I combined all 3 options together in my build and got best of three worlds:

Most economically viable non-Rubicon 35s daily driver - offroader.

- 35.1x11.2 Pizza Cutters (285/75/18 Duratracs) on stock Sahara 18” wheels. (Saved around $1200 from aftermarket wheels) and no wheel spacers.
- 2” ~ 2.5” suspension lift (2” Synergy coils and Teraflex 2.1 Falcon shocks - Cost around $600 total)
- Plush springs and stiff shocks provide best dampening and allow greatest travel. Superb balance between on and off-road performance.
-Tire only weighs 60lb so I get around 21 mpg average. Still see 8th gear occasionally, mostly 7th. This will be the only tire/wheel setup that still allows you to see 8th with 3.45 gearing and keep your mileage as close as stock.

Overall the tires and lift only cost around 1700$ in total and I got one hell of a ride!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Sahara Lift advice - real advice needed DB3EC79D-940E-4A11-B3DE-78B025730878

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Sahara Lift advice - real advice needed BC92FD00-6E04-4AF1-A91D-4283EA726468

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Sahara Lift advice - real advice needed A4C4E9F6-1A99-4A5E-95FE-DCB8279DAF2F

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Sahara Lift advice - real advice needed C975BC95-16DD-4A05-A34B-009D13658E9C

Last edited:

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I'm running 33" on my stock rims, I see 8th all the time 80KPH or faster.
Sponsored

Last edited: