2018 Sahara JLU Trailer Wiring Harness and Hitch

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara Unlimited
So...

I'm moving in two months and want to tow a cargo trailer with my Jeep. But....I don't have a hitch nor the wiring harness. My plan is to purchase the Mopar harness and Mopar hitch and install myself. Online videos make it seem simple enough for me....(I'm somewhat competent with tools). Anyone have advice or experience to share?...I'd appreciate it! :)
Sponsored

Shak14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just did the install of both myself yesterday! Hitch install is very simple. Wiring harness was easy, but fishing wires was the only pain. My hands have the scratches to prove it. Total time spent was just under two hours....I may have spent more time making sure zip ties were in the right spots. My advice would be to start at the battery and run your power wire from front to back. Made things a bit easier for me.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend ordering the wiring harness now. I went to order it last week and it’s on backorder everywhere that I saw. I ordered it through all Mopar parts and they told me it would be a few weeks.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Does anyone have experience with the Quadratec trailer wiring harness? I bought that one in lieu of the Mopar version.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BostonMike02127
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara Unlimited
Sooo....I waited over 4 weeks for the actual Mopar wiring harnes....it never came. It was on back order, and still is. I finally went ahead and ordered the Quadratec wiring harness and 2 inch receiver. The installation of both was relatively simple and the price was $147 versus ~$550. I saved a ton of cash and it works great. You only get the four pin connector with the Quadratec harness but I don't need the 7 way connector anyway.

OP
OP
BostonMike02127
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara Unlimited
Does anyone have experience with the Quadratec trailer wiring harness? I bought that one in lieu of the Mopar version.
It works great. Just installed it over the weekend. You only get the four pin connector, but it's way cheaper than the Mopar harness, which is on back order for weeks.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangle Sahara Unlimited
It works great. Just installed it over the weekend. You only get the four pin connector, but it's way cheaper than the Mopar harness, which is on back order for weeks.
Did you use the Quadratec wiring harness to use your jeep as a Toad or towing a trailer?

OP
OP
BostonMike02127
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara Unlimited
Did you use the Quadratec wiring harness to use your jeep as a Toad or towing a trailer?
I was towing a 6x12 Uhaul cargo trailer. Everything worked great. Brake lights and turn signals all worked great. Relatively easy install. I just ordered the Jeep receiver plug today. Figured finish it off nicely.

Jolonghorn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I finally installed the Quadratec receiver and wiring harness. Receiver took about 10 mins and the wiring harness took about 1.5 hours. Both were relatively simple. Very nice alternative that is significantly less expensive.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I finally installed the Quadratec receiver and wiring harness. Receiver took about 10 mins and the wiring harness took about 1.5 hours. Both were relatively simple. Very nice alternative that is significantly less expensive.
@Jolonghorn

Now, you need to address getting a hitch for that receiver... a hitch that will do you right regardless of the trailer you tow.. regardless of how high the trailer's tongue is, the protrusion of your spare tire...

Here are a couple of threads with ideas:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-stock-jl-rubicon-trailer-tow-package.23748/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bw-trailer-hitch.29111/#post-1418329

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Does anyone have experience with the Quadratec trailer wiring harness?
Yes. I installed that very harness recently. The installation was straightforward, if rather time-consuming in the absence of a vehicle lift.

I'd have refined the harness a bit, as well as the Quadratec instruction document. Having been a technical writer in a previous life, it's rare for me to not find fault with such things (when the manufacturer can even be bothered to include instructions.)
Sponsored