Sponsored

2018 Rubicon unlimited lift and tires question.

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone, This is my first time posting on here so I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place. I currently bought a 2018 Rubicon unlimited 6 speed manual. My first Jeep after wanting one since I was a kid. I'm pretty excited about it. When it's time for new tires I would like to go bigger. I've been doing some research on here but it's a little overwhelming. It's my daily driver and I plan to do some offroading but nothing too major. A few questions I have are:

Do I need a suspension lift or will a spacer lift work for now? if so, how big of a spacer lift?
Do I need wheel spacers?
Will 37's add wear to my Jeep?
Is there a 37" tire that will work with the stock rims?

Sorry I'm such a noob. I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right. I really appreciate any advice.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Rubicon unlimited lift and tires question. InkedSnapchat-857091093_LI
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
you can use a spacer lift. It will add clearance but not increase articulation off-road.

yes 37s will add wear to you Jeep but it shouldn’t be a problem. A good lift will have beefier components that will stand up better though.

i wouldn’t recommend 37 inch tires on the stock wheels. They are only 7.5 inches wide.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Do I need a suspension lift or will a spacer lift work for now? if so, how big of a spacer lift?
Do I need wheel spacers?
Will 37's add wear to my Jeep?
Is there a 37" tire that will work with the stock rims?
315/70R17 tires will fit your 17" x 7.5" wheels. They are the largest tires that will fit your OEM wheels. And if you go with 315/70R17 tires, you will not need any other modifications.

If you go with 37" diameter tires, the 37" spare will not fit on the stock spare tire carrier. The 37" tires are substantially heavier that the stock 285/70R17 tires and can be more difficult to balance. Also, you may need a lift, wider rims and differential gear ratio change. The cost adds up.

I would NEVER use wheel spacers. If you need them, you are better off to get aftermarket wheels with the correct offset (back spacing).

Of course, it's your choice.

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I went through the same dilemma with my '18. After doing my research and checking with my pocketbook I went with a RC 2" spacer lift and a set of 315 KO2s. The added cost of going with 37s just kept going with new rims and possibly a gear change. I'm happy with the result.

OP
OP
Mjones

Mjones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went through the same dilemma with my '18. After doing my research and checking with my pocketbook I went with a RC 2" spacer lift and a set of 315 KO2s. The added cost of going with 37s just kept going with new rims and possibly a gear change. I'm happy with the result.
This is what I'm thinking also. You have any pics?
Sponsored