Janey

First Name
Janey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL, 2017 MB Sprinter 4x4 conversion
Happened to me 6 times now.
1- about 900 miles (first time) ran an errand in the jeep - forgot wallet came back to the shop, shut down, for about 5-10 minutes went out to start and nothing. Everything battery working but wouldn't crank or anything. Dang. Call dealership they tell me to call roadside assistance. - Also, before that I had someone else try to start it in case I was missing something. Wont start. Service guy has me reset the system on the key fob. Also tried to start it using the key fob. Nothing. Roadside calls about 30 minutes later I try to start the Jeep again. and it starts.
2- Next day I leave from my trip from Colorado to Oregon. Get gas in Boise, walk the dogs, bathroom, get back in Jeep. Won't start. Call roadside assistance. While waiting I call dealer service in that area. He has no idea. About 20 minutes later. It starts. Totally random. I must have gotten gas or stopped 5 times before I got to Boise with no problems. (after the last fail I only got gas in near a dealership and didn't shut down for short periods, just left it running)
3- Get back from Oregon. Take an hour drive to the mountains, stop in a little wayside (no phone or internet reception) walk the dogs. Get in. Won't start. Fiddled with everything inside. Even under the hood to see anything obvious. Nothing. Starts about 20 minutes later.

Get back from Oregon at 4600 miles and it happens again. Made appointment with dealer to get oil change, tires rotate and computer - Nothing. They can't duplicate and they see nothing.

Happened Three more times (Twice this last weekend)...I have been talking with the lemon law people (number in the little book) I got in the Jeep. I have an appointment this week with another dealer service to check it out.

Today and yesterday for a few hours each I have been trying to duplicate here in my shop. Starting and shutting down. Keep track of the time in between. Can't duplicate.

This is not good. I need reliable transport. Especially being in the mountains and without cell or internet service a lot of the time. Help! Please! Any ideas out there? Thanks for reading.
Sponsored

18Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon 2018
I too have a 2018 Recon with less than 400 miles. Happened twice. It’s currently at the dealer since Friday and like you they can’t duplicate. I have to pick it back up tomorrow. I’m on the road all day and I’m less than thrilled about this situation.

OP
OP
Janey

Janey

First Name
Janey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a bummer but it is good to know there is someone else out there. Please keep me updated what you find out. I will do the same. I am going to the dealer again on Thursday and will call the lemon law people again. And post here what I learn.

OP
OP
Janey

Janey

First Name
Janey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BTW, mine is like the last of the JK that they built so a very late 2018. If that matters.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Janey

Janey

First Name
Janey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is great that a forum like this exists. As the problem of course doesn't happen when at the dealer. So there are at least three of us.

U.S. Marine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Janey, do you have an auto or manual? If auto it could have something to do with the transmission switch not recognizing that it is in park. If it's a manual, is there a switch that recognizes when the clutch is fully depressed. I hope that you get your gremlin worked out ASAP and get back to wheeling around Colorado.

OP
OP
Janey

Janey

First Name
Janey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. It is an auto. I have fiddled with the - position of the shifter as I wait for it to start and everyting else....hmmm.
Ill mention it to the dealership. thanks for your ideas!

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Just start recording with your phone before getting into your car just in case it happens again. They can't deny you when you have video proof and it would help with your lemon law case.

18Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon 2018
While fuming last night I thought I’d record if it should happen again. Mine is an automatic. Everything comes on except the engine. Then all the lights go away and the check engine light remains on. I can move the shifter into drive or any other gear it’s just the engine isn’t on.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
So just to confirm, this is the 2018 JK? And not the 2018 JL with the push button start?

18Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon 2018
Yes, mine is a JK w/ the old fashioned key. Automatic

18Ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon 2018
So here’s my update:
The dealer had my vehicle for 4.5 days, again only 395 miles on it, and they couldn’t duplicate the no start nor pull any codes. I run and errand with no issues then stop at the grocery store and viola 12 miles later I’m dead. Roughly 10 minutes later it starts again. Back to the dealer and back in the rental .
They have the video I took and are sending to engineering tomorrow and potentially their field engineer.

To be continued:
Sponsored