Sponsored

2018 Pricing Q. . .been sitting on the lot a long time!

ER_RN21

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Prius--waiting on my Jeep!
Hi!
I've been a long time lurker and finally got a username. Lol.
This 2018 has been on the lot a REALLY long time (at least 6 mos.).
Manual with Sky One Touch, Safety Pkg, etc etc.
Sticker is $50k.
Is it unreasonable to ask $45k out the door?
It has all my "required items" and I don't mind a manual .
Just trying to get a feel for what a "reasonable" purchase price would be.
Thanks!
https://www.jeffwylerlawrenceburg.c...Wrangler-6066e5c10a0e0a174c891a979b9dc773.htm
Sponsored

Hgill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20JLUR
Hi!
Sticker is $50k.
Thanks!
https://www.jeffwylerlawrenceburg.c...Wrangler-6066e5c10a0e0a174c891a979b9dc773.htm
I was in the same boat as you. I was looking at older models on dealer lots, I ended up ordering a 2020 JLUR which has a MSRP of 57,715, and once it arrives I'll be paying $56,473 OTD.. I got it for $51,481 + taxes and fees.

So I think it couldn't hurt to ask, it all depends on how willing they are to sell. My local dealer would't go under invoice price, and that would have been between $60-61K OTD.

If they don't do it, you can look at other high volume dealers out of state, I'm sure you can find a great deal.

BTW I'm switching from '15 Prius to a JLUR, I'm super excited, but Im gonna miss the prius MPG.. lol

mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software
Have you called the dealer or are you just assuming you can get them down to 45k all in?

The discount price on their website assumes you qualify for all available discounts.

You could probably do the same Jeep for close to 45k all in on a special order 2020.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
"We'll drop the market rate adjustment just for you! These things practically fly off the lot! As a matter of fact I have someone coming later to look at this exact vehicle." -- scumbag salesperson :D

In all seriousness though, a 2018? 40k before taxes maybe?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Welcome to the forum!
I say this all the time, maybe not as much on here as I do in other Jeep groups, but- a few things to remember:
1). DO YOUR RESEARCH. 100% the most important part of buying any vehicle, especially something like a Wrangler. The people selling these rarely discount them because they're popular and have an enthusiast market- and if they do, or are advertising a discount? Probably not really a discount.

2). YOU HAVE THE ADVANTAGE. You're the consumer. It's your money. You don't need to buy a Jeep from them. You can buy it from someone else. Or not at all. Jeeps are a dime a dozen and now that JL production is in full swing, you can always get exactly what you want. Will you get it for 30k? probably not. Be reasonable, be respectful, but don't take any crap. Good dealers and sales people will work with you and cut you a break. Bad ones will insist you pay sticker because, well, they suck.

3). USE THE INTERNET. Seriously. hit every single dealer within a 200 mile radius using the Autotrader or CarGurus app. Get a good feel for options and pricing. Do your negotiations by email. I was ruthless, and kind of a prick while shopping. I wouldn't set foot on a lot until i had a ballpark trade value for my old Jeep and a rough idea of how close they could come to my number for my Jeep, and if they couldn't hit that, the conversation was over. (More on that below). Sometimes bad dealers feel if they get you on the lot, they can give you the old press to sell routine and you'll cave. BS. Good dealers will work with you to get the deal done and make sure you're both happy.

4). SET YOUR NUMBER. Once again, be reasonable, but know what you're willing to pay and don't be afraid to walk. I've read a lot of horror stories on here where dealers think they have you because you want to buy a Wrangler, especially a fancy new JL, you'll pay whatever they want; again, BS.

That said: it's essentially a 2018 leftover, as the order banks for 2020 will be opening soon I'm guessing (ordered my '19 in Sept of 2018). That particular Jeep may have been sitting there for a while (probably because it's a manual) and dealers pay taxes and fees in most states on inventory that sits there. There's some other stuff that people way smarter than me could probably explain (Dealer inventory, allocation, etc.. feel free to search for those threads. They made my head spin a little). Many reputible dealers were going with 5-7% below invoice on factory orders when I bought last year. I've heard it's higher now. May want to use that as leverage- "Why would I want this Jeep that's already a year old and has been sitting on the lot when I can get one specifically made for me for cheaper?" kind of thing.

Again, just some points I followed when I was shopping. I always offer, and the offer still stands: I made a Google spreadsheet with a ton of information and just about every metric i could think of when I was shopping. I kept plugging info in and doing price comparisons for invoice vs. MSRP, discounts, and travel if i was going elsewhere to buy. If you (or anyone) wants to check it out, feel free to DM me and I can give you access to the sheet. Other than that, good luck! It looks like a real nice Jeep and I hope it works out for you!

Sponsored

shutamouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Hi!
Sticker is $50k.
Thanks!
Welcome.

I hate to be a naysayer, but I think 45k is High for that Jeep. Personally, on a 2018 I'd be hoping to be more like 20% off MSRP (before taxes). 10% off can be done pretty easily if you shop preferred dealers.

Best of Luck. I'd rather be turned down for being too cheap then make a deal I wasn't absolutely sold on.

awarsaw88

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Hi!
Sticker is $50k.
Thanks!
45k out the door is more than fair for an almost three year old vehicle. 2020s are already out. Just my two cents. Best of luck. I would offer 43k out the door.

lonz

First Name
Lonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order Jeep Wrangler JL
I would definitely NOT pay anymore than $40k (before taxes, fees, etc.). In fact, at this point, I'd say somewhere around $39k. Since it's a late model (2018), there's enough data out there to know what it's truly worth.

You should go to Edmunds (edmunds.com/appraisal/), and run the numbers for the exact Wrangler, exact year, with all the same options, and see what it's worth for Private Party resale, with only 10 miles on it, in "very good" to "near excellent" condition.

Your goal is to drive off the lot at, or slightly higher, than what Edmunds says it's truly worth (again, before all taxes, fees, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, I really wouldn’t want this vehicle if I couldn’t get about 25% off MSRP plus reasonable doc fees.

It’s a 3 year old vehicle at this point.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Wow, nicely equipped!! You'll love the one touch!
No, $45 wouldn't be too much to ask considering they dropped the price!! I'm sure they'll take any reasonable offer to get a two year old vehicle off the lot, for them, it's better that taking it to auction where they'll certainly lose money.

upload_2019-8-27_7-57-28.png

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
I have a 2020 coming in now - granted sticker was a bit higher than the one you are looking at ($53K) but the dealer knocked $7K off of it. With this one you will have 2 years of depreciation on it the moment you drive off of the lot, and the dealer knows that. The longer that jeep sits on their lot the more money they will lose - give them a reasonable opportunity to move it and see if they go for it. I'd insist on $40K plus tax/title/tag and see if they bite.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
It depends how much your taxes and fees are. Some states are much higher than others. I really doubt any Jeep dealer will give 25%+ off MSRP on a new 2018. There are little to no incentives out there for dealers through FCA, and I still see band new 2018 JK's on the lot for this very reason. But if you can get 25%+ off MSRP you should jump on it!

enright

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Miata
A 2018 with sky-one touch top is a nice find. It's hard to find 2019s on the lot with that top these days as they clear inventory for the 2020s.

However, with labor-day sales, typical incentives, etc... you should be able to get a 2019 for $45k without any haggling at all. Another thing to keep in mind is that a $50k Sahara with a manual is flat-out weird - you are one of 2 in 1,000 people that would want that configuration (I am the other one!) and lord only knows what the dealer was thinking when they ordered it. It's going to continue to sit there until they wholesale it - so you have a lot of leverage.

Bottom line - go for at least $10k off with the confidence to know you can just get a 2019 or 2020 for $45k without too much effort. Good luck!

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
A 2018 with sky-one touch top is a nice find. It's hard to find 2019s on the lot with that top these days as they clear inventory for the 2020s.

However, with labor-day sales, typical incentives, etc... you should be able to get a 2019 for $45k without any haggling at all. Another thing to keep in mind is that a $50k Sahara with a manual is flat-out weird - you are one of 2 in 1,000 people that would want that configuration (I am the other one!) and lord only knows what the dealer was thinking when they ordered it. It's going to continue to sit there until they wholesale it - so you have a lot of leverage.

Bottom line - go for at least $10k off with the confidence to know you can just get a 2019 or 2020 for $45k without too much effort. Good luck!
I didn’t realize it had a manual. Yeah even more leverage.

89TransAmWS6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0T, 2020 GC 3.6, 1993 Pontiac Trans Am
Occupation
Fleet Manager
Welcome to the forum!
I say this all the time, maybe not as much on here as I do in other Jeep groups, but- a few things to remember:
1). DO YOUR RESEARCH. 100% the most important part of buying any vehicle, especially something like a Wrangler. The people selling these rarely discount them because they're popular and have an enthusiast market- and if they do, or are advertising a discount? Probably not really a discount.

2). YOU HAVE THE ADVANTAGE. You're the consumer. It's your money. You don't need to buy a Jeep from them. You can buy it from someone else. Or not at all. Jeeps are a dime a dozen and now that JL production is in full swing, you can always get exactly what you want. Will you get it for 30k? probably not. Be reasonable, be respectful, but don't take any crap. Good dealers and sales people will work with you and cut you a break. Bad ones will insist you pay sticker because, well, they suck.

3). USE THE INTERNET. Seriously. hit every single dealer within a 200 mile radius using the Autotrader or CarGurus app. Get a good feel for options and pricing. Do your negotiations by email. I was ruthless, and kind of a prick while shopping. I wouldn't set foot on a lot until i had a ballpark trade value for my old Jeep and a rough idea of how close they could come to my number for my Jeep, and if they couldn't hit that, the conversation was over. (More on that below). Sometimes bad dealers feel if they get you on the lot, they can give you the old press to sell routine and you'll cave. BS. Good dealers will work with you to get the deal done and make sure you're both happy.

4). SET YOUR NUMBER. Once again, be reasonable, but know what you're willing to pay and don't be afraid to walk. I've read a lot of horror stories on here where dealers think they have you because you want to buy a Wrangler, especially a fancy new JL, you'll pay whatever they want; again, BS.

That said: it's essentially a 2018 leftover, as the order banks for 2020 will be opening soon I'm guessing (ordered my '19 in Sept of 2018). That particular Jeep may have been sitting there for a while (probably because it's a manual) and dealers pay taxes and fees in most states on inventory that sits there. There's some other stuff that people way smarter than me could probably explain (Dealer inventory, allocation, etc.. feel free to search for those threads. They made my head spin a little). Many reputible dealers were going with 5-7% below invoice on factory orders when I bought last year. I've heard it's higher now. May want to use that as leverage- "Why would I want this Jeep that's already a year old and has been sitting on the lot when I can get one specifically made for me for cheaper?" kind of thing.

Again, just some points I followed when I was shopping. I always offer, and the offer still stands: I made a Google spreadsheet with a ton of information and just about every metric i could think of when I was shopping. I kept plugging info in and doing price comparisons for invoice vs. MSRP, discounts, and travel if i was going elsewhere to buy. If you (or anyone) wants to check it out, feel free to DM me and I can give you access to the sheet. Other than that, good luck! It looks like a real nice Jeep and I hope it works out for you!

Believe it or not, the 2020 order banks have been open for a bit already, lots are already showing up on dealer lots and users driveways! Lots of good info in this post either way.

That being said, OP..good luck! I myself did the "scope out all the 2 year old 2018s" before i finally pulled the trigger on a 2020. I went on the jeep site, searched the new inventory and my options. Found a few exactly as I wanted, some plus or minus an option or two. At the end of the day, most wouldnt budge. YLMV but if you really think about it..there is probably a reason why there are still 2 year old brand new trucks on those dealers lots. I had one dealer in PA laugh at me and tell me I wouldnt find a better deal ANYWHERE, PERIOD. This was only a few weeks ago after the 20s already started showing on lots. So after that Leon @ Criswell hooked it up, same options, two years newer and wayyyyyyy cheaper. Still definitely worth looking though!
Sponsored