DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ditto, but would be very hard to idiot-proof. One redline clutch dump and you're looking at a new transfer case.
Not necessarily, if it has a viscous coupling. Besides, why wouldn't that be an issue with the locked center diff, as on the Rocktrac or Commandtrac? I think it would actually handle it even better with Selectrac, the more I think about it.
Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Not necessarily, if it has a viscous coupling.
There have been many vehicles sold with automatic transfer cases, but I can't think of any with an available manual. There must be a reason.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
There have been many vehicles sold with automatic transfer cases, but I can't think of any with an available manual. There must be a reason.
I think the market is the reason. People looking for a manual are less inclined to select a system like that. It is just that this type of buyer would be too scarce to justify a business case.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

and people complain that mustangs have "too many special editions" lol.

i agree on the color choices for 18s though. when i was shopping, at multiple dealerships in the area, for a basic Sport. the only colors available were black, white, billet silver and granite. i fell in love with a Gobi JK, but the JL was the way to go. i even told the wife that if/when a Gobi or Olive Green JL finally come out we're selling ours, just to change colors! lol. probably not, but i can dream...

its kind of funny that the Rubi comes on AT tires and the Moab will come on MTs. seems kind of backwards, even though the ATs are supposed to be a much better tire. Jeep probably got a smoking deal on a ton of the MTs that were laying around (if its being discontinued). same size (32") as JK Rubi? if so, then that supports my thinking.

took my BASE Sport (roll up windows) wheeling this weekend with a large jeep group. did some light crawling with multiple instances of 3 wheeling. didnt need a locker once. the trail guide, driving a moddel to hell JK Sport, said "if you can drive, you dont need lockers". i dont know how accurate that is but that's what he said when we were discussing adding them. he also said, "you can just get a winch and be fine". one of the main reasons i was comfortable buying a Sport. ive been told by a few that they have never needed lockers. i definitely dont plan to go mudding, ever. just no interest. or hardcore crawling. i was shocked at the stuff we were doing this weekend on a "beginner's trail" and that my JLU just went through it all like it was childs play. people were also stating how my stock JLU went through the obstacles easier than many of the modded JKs (including some Rubis) were. people were impressed with the JLUs capabilities. (only JL there).

zogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RWD coupe
Ditto, but would be very hard to idiot-proof. One redline clutch dump and you're looking at a new transfer case.
Could you explain what you think the problem would be? It's not obvious to me why the transfer case would be more vulnerable with a MT.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Could you explain what you think the problem would be? It's not obvious to me why the transfer case would be more vulnerable with a MT.
During a clutch dump, rear wheels would slip, and the automatic transfer case would instantaneously engage. No power transmission device will last long being engaged instantaneously at its maximum power rating, viscous coupling or no.

Does the JL manual transfer case allow you to shift from 2H to 4H with the tach near redline and the throttle floored (either transmission)? If so, then I don't recommend trying it too often.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Technically, the STI is an "automatic" transfer case. Has a viscous center diff that's normally open, but can lock varying levels to 50/50 with electronic clutches.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Technically, the STI is an "automatic" transfer case. Has a viscous center diff that's normally open, but can lock varying levels to 50/50 with electronic clutches.
It's still a differential. The transfer case in a 4x4 is the opposite of a differential; it's a mechanical lock. SelecTrac might have some kind of viscous coupling to make it engage less harshly, I dunno.

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
So if they are already building the MOABs at the plant, when will it show up on the Jeep configurator? That's what we need to see.

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
So is this model going to be a 2019 or 2018? Seems weird to launch a “special edition” at the end of production of one model year, but prior to the beginning of production for the next year.

Is the delayed timing a result of the short model year, etc.? Or is this something that’s been done before?
It'll be a 2019

Sponsored

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
So if they are already building the MOABs at the plant, when will it show up on the Jeep configurator? That's what we need to see.
When the 2019 configurator goes live!

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR ordered - owned 21, 19, 14, 08
MOAB is now available to order at your dealer. Package 24M
It is a 2018 JL, not a 2019. It is a package from the Sahara platform. The MSRP of the package is $10,905 plus 2,000 for the automatic trans =$12,905 from a BASE Sahara
As others have said above, it is a loaded to the max Sahara with some desired Rubicon accents, but it also adds many premium options in the package that not everyone would necessarily want. Here is a condensed list of all forced options in the package.

3.6 ESS w/ Automatic Trans
Moad Black Wheels ( appear to be black rubicon stock JL wheels ),
2.72 Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD sys
8.4 inch touchscreen with Navigation
Active Noise Control System
Alpine Premium Audio
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Black Badges
Blind Spot & Cross Path Detection
Body Color 3 piece hard top
Body Color Grille w/ Black Accents
Daytime Running LED Accents
LED Lighting Group
LED Taillamps
Electronic Infotainment Sys Group
Front LED Fog Lights
Hood w/ Air Vents
Bluetooth
MOPAR All Weather Floor Mats
MOPAR Hardtop Headliner
MOPAR Heavy Duty Rock Rails
Mckinley Leather Seats w/ Jeep Logo
Moab Edition
Moab Hood Badging
Parksense Rear Park Assist System
Premium Wrapped I/P Bezels
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
Safety Groop
Steel Front Bumper

adding only COLD WEATHER Group puts the sticker at 53,690
not many more options available other than DUAL TOP Group, as you can read above, the package forces nearly every option.
I imagine Sahara drivers wanting the Rubicon look of the vented hood, larger tires with black wheels will love this Special Edition, but all of it comes at a Rubicon price tag.Rubi drivers will stick with a Rubi.
Hope the info helps.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
So dealers are still taking orders for 2018 JL Jeeps? I thought it was on the forum somewhere that ordering ended for 2018’s.

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR ordered - owned 21, 19, 14, 08
So dealers are still taking orders for 2018 JL Jeeps? I thought it was on the forum somewhere that ordering ended for 2018’s.
Many of the options are now restricted on JL orders depending on trim levels as the model year is coming to a close. But yes, as of today the MOAB is definitely a 2018 build.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I imagine 2 door Moab in Mojito would be a pretty rare Jeep!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.