William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Retired police officer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any insight on JLU/R throwing a 5V O2 sensor CEL code (don’t have the exact code since it’s at the dealer currently). The dealer cannot figure out what is going on and now are telling me that they need to replace the whole PCM?

Background so far: all O2 sensors have been verified plugged in and undamaged, all fuses are properly seated, all connections checked for proper voltage and damage, PCM has been flashed, and the vehicle is still reading the O2 sensors even when they are unplugged (possessed???). It also doesn’t matter what O2 sensor is unplugged and swapped, it still throws the code. No other issues in drivability except poor gas mileage (14 MPG). No electronic mods or changes, as of yet...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Vehicle Showcase
Update: that is if anybody is reading/listening...

The dealer has now replaced the PCM and the CEL code for 5V O2 sensor is still throwing. Dealer has no idea what is going on and has contacted FCA for direction.

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m reading. Keep us updated.
Thanks for reading...

The last I’ve heard now is that the the dealer has been in contact with FCA and FCA’s solution was to replace the O2 sensors in “pairs” and see if that and when that works. I should hopefully know something more this afternoon.

Lol, kinda shocked if this hasn’t already been thought of as a solution by the dealer and from what I thought I heard they had already tried that??? Wouldn’t it be common sense to replace $30 parts before replacing a estimated $1,500+ PCM, which was already done as a first attempt to fix the issue??? Who knows, this is frustrating on a vehicle with 803 miles on it and it started around 300 miles.

1st Jeep experience = not so good, jury is still out; multiple Fiat Chrysler experience = always been bad.

- 2014 RAM 2500 = horrible and cheap, traded back to 2017 Ford F-350
- 2018 Dodge Durango R/T = horrible and cheap with a terrible build/delivery experience, currently selling.
- 2018 JLUR = fun vehicle, so far bad quality experience with dealers, service, and reliability.

Guess I’m the definition of insanity. LMAO!

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Vehicle Showcase
Update (again):

The dealer completed the replacing of O2 sensors by pairs as instructed by FCA and the problem was NOT resolved. The dealer is going to contact FCA again on Monday to try and find another solution.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thanks for reading...

The last I’ve heard now is that the the dealer has been in contact with FCA and FCA’s solution was to replace the O2 sensors in “pairs” and see if that and when that works. I should hopefully know something more this afternoon.

Lol, kinda shocked if this hasn’t already been thought of as a solution by the dealer and from what I thought I heard they had already tried that??? Wouldn’t it be common sense to replace $30 parts before replacing a estimated $1,500+ PCM, which was already done as a first attempt to fix the issue??? Who knows, this is frustrating on a vehicle with 803 miles on it and it started around 300 miles.

1st Jeep experience = not so good, jury is still out; multiple Fiat Chrysler experience = always been bad.

- 2014 RAM 2500 = horrible and cheap, traded back to 2017 Ford F-350
- 2018 Dodge Durango R/T = horrible and cheap with a terrible build/delivery experience, currently selling.
- 2018 JLUR = fun vehicle, so far bad quality experience with dealers, service, and reliability.

Guess I’m the definition of insanity. LMAO!
I know FCA gets a bad rep and you certainly have a terrible streak of reliability with them! But it’s not only FCA vehicles that have issues.

I had a brand new 2014 trail edition 4runner that was in the shop for 2 months with electrical issues. Replaced the PCM and body control module and a few other things. Finally the issue was resolved over something small. Something to do with the 12v system. Crazy.

Hopefully they fix your JL! Don’t give up hope yet lol.

Last edited:

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had my JLUR in for a "Service TPMS System" warning. FCA's first "fix" was to replace the instrument cluster. After a total of 21 business days the resolution was...replacing the TPMS module. Who'da thunk?

OP
OP
Sarge

Sarge

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired police officer
Vehicle Showcase
I had my JLUR in for a "Service TPMS System" warning. FCA's first "fix" was to replace the instrument cluster. After a total of 21 business days the resolution was...replacing the TPMS module. Who'da thunk?
Lmao! I know right, apparently no one told FCA or their mechanics to work smarter, not harder.
Sponsored