2018 JLUR no start issues - now happening while driving

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
I posted that I had issues with my 2018 JLUR not starting after a long drive in another thread (with a few others). Basically everything turned on but it would not start. It would show all of these error messages and after a few mins start up. I thought it was something to do with the keyless system and some glitch with hot start up as it never happened while cold nor did it happen if I stayed in the jeep (only happened when I got out and jumped back in).

Well my thoughts changed yesterday. I was off road for about 30 mins on paths that are dirt/mud using 4H. Although speeds were slow it wasnt anything taxing on the jeep. I eventually left the woods and got on the main road. I shifted from 4H to 2H and then a few hundred feet the jeep showed all of the warning I had when I couldnt restart (see previous post for the warnings). The added bonus was the jeep would not shift. My gun club was right around the corner so I drove there and after stopping at the gate the jeep would not move. I shifted into park and then back to drive and everything was fine. Drove around the gun club and decided to park and try to restart. Started right up and drove home with no issues. On a good note I triggered something so the service light came on so I can bring it to the dealer and see what codes there are. I also got 3 VHR emails. 2 for malfunction and 1 for blindspot indicator.

@JeepCares

Previous post
+another

2nd time the jeep didn't start (and 1 more time that I recreated the scenario and it didn't start so total of 3).

It says push brake in and push button to start but doesnt start.

It flashes service transmission. Continue in D. Do not shift or turn off engine. It also flashes stability control and blind spot disabled.

It will restart in 5 mins or less. All errors are gone and everything is fine.

I realized it happened when I exited the jeep and then quickly got back in to start it. It has never happened when I turn off the car and then restart without getting out. For that reason I was thinking it was something with the key fob not being recognized.

Today after it happened I restarted, moved it, shut it down and got out then got back in. I waited a few seconds and then pushed the start button and it started right up. I then repeated this but quickly got in and pushed the button. After doing that 2 times it didn't start and I had to wait for it to cycle.

It still could be electrical but I'm leaning more toward it is system error with either reading the key fob or with some internal diagnostics the computer is going through.

I figure I would try to make it happen again and if I can then switch key fobs. If it happens with both maybe will change the fob battery to eliminate that possibility.

Obviously this is an issue and needs to be corrected. BTW is there someone I should contact so it is logged and Jeep can stop saying they know nothing about it.l?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wicked Weasel

Wicked Weasel

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL - Build date 06/18
As an update I called my dealer Monday morning and told them the problem. They told me to bring the jeep in right away. When I got there I handed them a typed letter of exactly what happened with dates. I also emailed them pictures of the display. I tried to recreate the problem when I was there but of course it ran fine.

Tuesday late morning they called and said they found a loose wire which they repaired. They are mailing me the paperwork so I dont know exactly what they repaired but will update when I do.

Picked it up Tuesday and drove it home. it is a weekend car so have not put many miles on it but so far no issues. Hopefully it is fixed.

20180812_140641.jpg

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Tuesday late morning they called and said they found a loose wire which they repaired. They are mailing me the paperwork so I dont know exactly what they repaired but will update when I do.

Picked it up Tuesday and drove it home. it is a weekend car so have not put many miles on it but so far no issues. Hopefully it is fixed.
Ask them exactly what had happened. It's your vehicle and you need to know how to fix it if it does the same once you go out of warranty. It might be expensive to diagnose all over again. Also you can find out if what they're saying is plausible if you ask an expert.
Sponsored