Sponsored

2018 JLU Stock Ride Height Tire Options

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
From the link is this nugget:

Add roughly 1"-1.25" of lift to your 4 door Sport or Sahara and roughly 2-2.25" to your 2 door Sport or Sahara!

ALL Springs are left and right specific! Mixing them up could cause Jeep to sit uneven!
  • 68253659AC OR 68253661AC - Front Left Spring
  • 68253660AC - Front Right Spring
  • 68253591AA - Rear Left Spring
  • 68253590AA OR 68253592AA - Rear Right Spring
  • 68330209AA - Front Shocks
  • 68330210AA - Rear Shocks
I've had a set of Rubi take-offs sitting in my garage for several months, waiting for warmer weather to install. Now I have to look to make sure I put them on the correct side.

Anyone know how long it takes to do in your garage? Any recommendations on what tools I should have on hand to perform this surgery?
Took me about 4 hours, if I were to do it again it would probably take half that time, here's a link on the install along w/ the LCA install too
All the tools needed and torque values listed here too!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/
Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
@blnewt was it you that was suggesting the leveling kit from Terraflex to go along with this? Seems like a good idea to me and I wonder if you were to go with a 1.5 spacer kit would the shocks still have enough travel. Cheap way to get 3" of lift.

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
Yep Brad is right on with his answer above. Sport Unlimited and Sahara have the same LCAs and end links as Rubicon. So just need the shocks and springs. I was able to get springs with the most lift based on part number and installed on my Sahara. I did end up adding the Mopar slighlty longer LCAs (part# 68322798AA) that increased my caster to about 6 degrees.

Also, if you buy slightly used Rubicon takeoff springs and shocks, most sellers throw in their stock LCAs and end links. The person I bought mine from did. I didn't need them because again they are the same. They are just sitting on the shelf in my garage.

A couple of questions.

1. If the LCA's are identical to the Sahara and the Rubicon, what changes to require a longer LCA?

2. Does it change the angle of the caster or is the angle of the caster less on the Sahara to begin with?

3. If you don't change them will there be unusual wear?

Last edited:

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
A couple of questions.

1. If the LCA's are identical to the Sahara and the Rubicon, what changes to require a longer LCA?

2. Does it change the angle of the caster or is the angle of the caster less on the Sahara to begin with?

3. If you don't change them will there be unusual wear?
1. You absolutely don't have to get the longer Mopar LCAs when adding the Rubicon springs to a non-Rubicon. So it's not required.

2. Yes as you go up/lift the caster changes. By adding the longer Mopar LCAs my caster was closer to 6 degrees and I felt it improved straight line tracking.

3. All other things being equal, there should be no unusual wear from staying with the stock LCAs and adding Rubicon springs. I would think the Sahara or Sport would have about the same caster as a Rubicon after adding Rubicon springs.

I'd say add the springs and shocks first and see how it drives. It wouldn't hurt to measure caster yourself or have the caster measured at alignment shop and see where it's at after adding the springs and shocks. But again the longer Mopar LCAs are not required...

Mojito!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited JL
Vehicle Showcase
1. You absolutely don't have to get the longer Mopar LCAs when adding the Rubicon springs to a non-Rubicon. So it's not required.

2. Yes as you go up/lift the caster changes. By adding the longer Mopar LCAs my caster was closer to 6 degrees and I felt it improved straight line tracking.

3. All other things being equal, there should be no unusual wear from staying with the stock LCAs and adding Rubicon springs. I would think the Sahara or Sport would have about the same caster as a Rubicon after adding Rubicon springs.

I'd say add the springs and shocks first and see how it drives. It wouldn't hurt to measure caster yourself or have the caster measured at alignment shop and see where it's at after adding the springs and shocks. But again the longer Mopar LCAs are not required...
Thanks a bunch for the detailed info.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@blnewt was it you that was suggesting the leveling kit from Terraflex to go along with this? Seems like a good idea to me and I wonder if you were to go with a 1.5 spacer kit would the shocks still have enough travel. Cheap way to get 3" of lift.
I haven't done any additions to my Rubicon set, as far as shock travel, that's a good question. I'd imagine there could be issues there.
Check this series of posts for some really good info~
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-2dr-sport-only-thread.15647/page-20#post-1040143

Milk Money

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S (previously 2008 JKU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sport)
Occupation
Engineer at GM
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Question - did you get an alignment after the lift? Or was that the purpose of measuring the caster angle?
No alignment, steering wheel still perfectly centered and Jeep tracked just as it did before (driving at speed and under hard braking).
I measured the caster angle just to get a rough measurement to see the before & after affect of the lift (and also the after affect of adding the longer Mopar LCAs after lifting).

I wouldn't think you'd need to get it aligned if you aren't messing with any tie rods, drag links, or any other suspension/steering parts that are adjustable. Just essentially going up 1.5 to 1 3/4" nothing adjusting side to side or camber adjusting.

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S

Sponsored

mic.rempel

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
I'm not sure if OP's question was answered so I'll share my thoughts. Yes, you can fit 35s on a Sport with no lift but your wheels need to provide enough space to prevent rubbing, you wont be able to keep 35s tucked with the stock wheels. Attached are some photos, you can see there's still plenty of room to handle some light articulation but not enough to handle anything crazy on the trails. I'm personally going to be putting a lift to give me more trail options this spring. Hope this helps.

IMG_1377.jpg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have 3661AD,3662AD,3590AA,3591AA
Passenger side always gets the higher spring numbers, your 62, and your 91 springs are the passenger side, that's also what I stated in my thread :)

jawsATL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Granite Metallic Sahara
You can fit 35s on a stock JL suspension. On a Rubi or Sahara not rubbing, on a Sport/S you have to take off the inside flare piece on the bumper then you're fine.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can fit 35s on a stock JL suspension.
35s on a Sahara or Sport may fit, but tough to recommend if you plan on giving your suspension a workout, and the Sport/Sahara gearing isn't really set up for that tall of a tire, especially if you have a 6MT.

Now Rubicons, that's a different story, they were almost meant for 35s w/ the 4:10 gears, wider axles and fenders that have more room.