Sponsored

2018 JLU Sport S binding/popping

• Thread starter Deleted member 68858
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 68858

Hey all my JLUS is making this loud binding/popping noise that’s coming from the front end. It happens pretty much every time I slightly accelerate and it’s really loud and embarrassing to hear especially when noticed by others… I’ve been to the Dealer a few times about it but they can’t ever
duplicate it. Figures…
But I have attached a couple videos I hope it helps pinpoint the issue. Thanks!!

Sponsored

Two4One

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Recon JL Sport S
In my experience bring it to another dealer for trade in an let them inspect it. They will find the issue instantly. This happened with A GMC Acadia I owned years back. I kept complaining about a noise on a left turn and nothing. I traded it in on a Rubi and the Jeep dealer found the issue on the spot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 68858

In my experience bring it to another dealer for trade in an let them inspect it. They will find the issue instantly. This happened with A GMC Acadia I owned years back. I kept complaining about a noise on a left turn and nothing. I traded it in on a Rubi and the Jeep dealer found the issue on the spot.
Hopefully third times a charm because I sent the videos to one of the service advisors there and he set me up with another appointment for next week Thursday. Next closest dealer is about 2 hours from me I really hope they figure this out because its frustrating as hell.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I can hear the vidoes, but not see them. Also, exterior noise location can be easy to mis-read, so don't get too hung up on the specific location.

Does it sound like something is hitting the tub? Maybe a bad trans/engine mount.

In the front, assuming you're in 2 wd, there's no driveshaft movement, so it could be a bad suspension component (loose or bad bushing).

Cisco809

First Name
Cisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Hey all my JLUS is making this loud binding/popping noise that’s coming from the front end. It happens pretty much every time I slightly accelerate and it’s really loud and embarrassing to hear especially when noticed by others… I’ve been to the Dealer a few times about it but they can’t ever
duplicate it. Figures…
But I have attached a couple videos I hope it helps pinpoint the issue. Thanks!!

Sponsored

Cisco809

First Name
Cisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Hi today is my first day here at the forum I’m actually having the same exact issue took it to the dealer 4 times on the third time they changed the drive shaft with no luck to me because I took it back and they told me they could not replicate problem. Got ahold of a Jeep case manager she told me to take it once again dealer told me no problem found once again. Called the case manages she said if they can’t replicate it then they have to back up the technicians. I can’t believe it. I’m so frustrated like you it’s embarrassing how loud it gets sometimes

OP
OP

Deleted member 68858

I can hear the vidoes, but not see them. Also, exterior noise location can be easy to mis-read, so don't get too hung up on the specific location.

Does it sound like something is hitting the tub? Maybe a bad trans/engine mount.

In the front, assuming you're in 2 wd, there's no driveshaft movement, so it could be a bad suspension component (loose or bad bushing).
When it happens, It feels like it’s coming from under the drivers side cab , kind of feel it in the pedals too. Also rotational knocking/clunking when turning left or right. Does it more on hotter days for some reason. I’m assuming it’s the front diff and/or diff carrier. but I have yet to take it in cuz work has been hellacious.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
It may be originating from further away than it appears. Open the hood, have someone observe the engine for excessive movement while you have the engine running and place in drive with brake applied. Even give it some gas to verify if engine moves. The reason I say to check this is because an engine or transmission mount may be loose. Those noises can travel through the frame, body mounts, steering shaft or even a gear shifter.

Just my first impression of the type of noise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 68858

Update 11-12-21
Had an appointment for it this past Wednesday, they gave me a loaner. Said the tech will be driving it for a day or two. Yesterday the tech said he drove it for bout an hour and heard/felt the noise. They will be popping open the diff cover today and I shall keep you guys posted once I hear from them.

Cisco809

First Name
Cisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Update 11-12-21
Had an appointment for it this past Wednesday, they gave me a loaner. Said the tech will be driving it for a day or two. Yesterday the tech said he drove it for bout an hour and heard/felt the noise. They will be popping open the diff cover today and I shall keep you guys posted once I hear from them.
You are lucky. I took mine to a diferente dealer this time and once again they said they found nothing wrong with mine unfortunately I guess I’m going to drive it till it breaks and the dealer can visually see damage.

Sponsored

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I wasnt able to play the videos, but have you ever disconnected your sway bar links? Could they be loose? maybe the track bar. My frame side track bar was loose from the factory and was popping when I’d turn.

OP
OP

Deleted member 68858

This seems to have fixed the problem. I have uploaded a picture of what all was done by the dealer. I really appreciate this forum & the folks here that steered me into the right direction. One other reason why I love my Jeep & everything that comes with it ✌🏽
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLU Sport S binding/popping 6DBB201B-744B-47C0-B9AB-127A566365A7
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLU Sport S binding/popping 3027B966-C1DB-485B-84CC-A1A43A72F451
Sponsored