2018 JLU Sport 4 dr - upgrade to Rubicon Suspension, wheels and tires

spn93

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Dealer is offering an upgrade on our 2018 JLU Sport 4 dr that we bought brand new. They say they get brand new rubicons and add lift kits, wheels and tires and sell the take offs for $1,800, inlcludes install of Rubicon Lift, Wheels and Tires (Brand New). I know nothing about this. Is this a reasonable deal? Just looking for a slightly more aggressive look. My wife's vehicle (we are 50). Maybe some light trails but have not desire to have major lift or major off roading. Any advise is much appreciated!!
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The stock wheels and tires are good for light trails. The dealer's price is not bad but maybe a little higher than you might be able to do if you piece it together yourself, the Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires can easily cost $1000+ just by themselves.
The wheels have a slightly different look that you might like, the tires are better but I don't know how to quantify how much. Swapping tires and suspension will give you around 1.5" lift so you should decide if you want that or not. It seems to be strongly advisable to swap the lower control arms at the same time to keep the caster setting from changing too much. The parts are not too expensive and if they already have the Jeep up on the lift there isn't much involved in changing them. Maybe you could get the dealer to throw those in.

I have a 2018 JLU Sport and I've already found a set of Rubicon tires, shocks and springs, and I've bought the new lower control arms. I'm going to keep my stock silver wheels. I just have to do the install myself, and I'm a lot older than 50. Maybe I'll mess with it next week while I'm off work.

OP
OP

spn93

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Thanks for the info. I'm not much of a DIY person but do like the look of the option with a slight lift and the bigger wheels. Will need to ask about the control arms as I'm not sure what that is but glad you mentioned it. Thanks!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a good deal. Especially if they are willing to install all of it at that price.

FYI: you won’t be getting a Rubicon lift. Rubicons don’t come with a lift. The springs and shocks are slightly extended, that’s all.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually think that’s a fair price since it includes install.
I'm kind of slanted because for awhile I was seeing Rubicon wheels/tires on this forum for $800 or so, but since I got into the market I haven't found any more of those deals. There are some companies in my metropolitan area that apparently do a lot of upgrades and they always have several sets for sale, for $1500.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
wheels and tires typically go for around $1,200 but sometimes seen cheaper. You can often find Rubicon suspension for $0 to $200.

No doubt if you hunt Craigslist you can get the parts a bit cheaper and install it yourself.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sounds like a good deal. Especially if they are willing to install all of it at that price.

FYI: you won’t be getting a Rubicon lift. Rubicons don’t come with a lift. The springs and shocks are slightly extended, that’s all.
That's all a lift is.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I paid:
$1200(wheels/tires) + $200(suspension)+ $400(install at 4wp which was overpriced) = $1800

I sold my sport wheels tires for $700

So, net was $1100. I think I got lucky on the $700 for sport wheels/tires tho.
and, add $200 more for tazer

I think $1600 is super fair, especially if they reset the speedo.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Thanks for the info. I'm not much of a DIY person but do like the look of the option with a slight lift and the bigger wheels. Will need to ask about the control arms as I'm not sure what that is but glad you mentioned it. Thanks!
The price, including parts and install, seems very fair.

Know that Rubicon lower control arms are the same length as all other model Wranglers. Your dealer should know this, but better to be informed so you don't pay for what you already have. A slightly longer lower control is not a bad idea. A good option is the Mopar lower control arm that comes in the Mopar lift. I added this to my Wrangler when I added Rubicon springs and shocks.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/68322798aa.html

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sold my sport wheels tires for $700
... I think I got lucky on the $700 for sport wheels/tires tho.
Yes you did. I'll have the tires alone available and I'm not real optimistic about selling them. I'll post them in our forum when the time comes.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the price isnt bad at all. 1200 for 5 tires and wheels plus 400 for the springs and shocks and 200 to install it all. no need for lower control arms. I did this exact thing to my sport and drove it over a year like that. caster angle was just fine. the sport control arms are the same length as the rubicons. i have both sets in my garage in a box now that i went to a bigger lift. this is a great deal and i believe you will love the way it rides.
Sponsored