Sponsored

2018 JLU Rubicon - rear doors weatherstip let the dust in.

alkapin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR, 2014 White GL350
Came back recently from a two days trip around BC, lots of dusty gravel service roads. During the driving, I have noticed a few times the unusually high concentration of the dust in the cabin's air, especially when sun rays hit the car. Got back home and of course, the back of the car is full of dust. But the interesting thing that front door seals are perfectly clean, but rear seals on both rear doors and frame has a lot of dust on them. They are dust leaking. Took the car to a dealer, his response - "of course it is leaking, it the Jeep! Older models were also leaking water, it is normal." When I have pointed out that Jeep engineers were able to perfectly isolate front doors seals, but not rear he goes - "well the rear doors close on the rame and hardtop, there are different materials involved, blah blah." I just left, it was no point for future discussion.

Has anyone also noticed this problem? See attached photos - absolutely clean front seals and a specific point on the rear doors seal where dust goes thru. I am thinking to try attaching some kind of additional soft padding...

20180720_111850.jpg

20180720_111908.jpg

20180720_111923.jpg

20180720_111929.jpg

20180720_113347.jpg

20180720_113358.jpg

20180720_113410.jpg

20180720_113431.jpg
Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
Do you have any modifications such as grab handles or aftermarket leather that could void your warranty?

Just kidding! You know how dealers can be!

On a serious not your concern looks legitimate to me. I understand the service dept not knowing what to do to fix it, but it should at least get reported to Chrysler. You can’t be the only one who will have this problem.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
YUP, I would expect a complete replacement of the rear door seals and

Whenever I go in the desert/w the top on, I always turn the air blower on low to maintain a positive air pressure inside-(not recirc)

That'll really cut down in the dust invasion-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

J&L'sJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
YUP, I would expect a complete replacement of the rear door seals and

Whenever I go in the desert/w the top on, I always turn the air blower on low to maintain a positive air pressure inside-(not recirc)

That'll really cut down in the dust invasion-

Good luck

W.E.

JIMBO

I was out a couple of weeks ago in extremely dusty conditions.
I turned on the A/C with the recirculation turned on.

At the end of the day I had a very small amounts of dust at the rear door / tub-top seal and a small amount at the lower rear window corners but no dust swirling or settling in the cab.

My thought was with the recirculation on it was not pulling dusty outside air into the cabin.

Does the JL have a cabin air filter to clean the air being pulled into the A/C system? If so, the positive air pressure route would probably work better.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
My RUBY BUILD SHEET says I have one-but

I'm outta state right now, so I can't check--should be behind the GLOVE BOX !

W.E.

JIMBO

saltyaggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
JLUS here. I work on farms here in S. TX (=lots of dust). Mine looks the same as yours within a couple days of work. Luckily, I've not had any problems thus far with water getting in (even after pressure washing). It seems like very small dust particles are the only things that can get through there. I take the hardtop off on a regular basis and haven't figured out a way to seal this up that won't interfere with removing the top.

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Hmm, maybe your Jeep was used to Uber the Sandman around...

loiacki

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
My rear doors let the dust in, as well :cwl:

Spur2wide.jpg

Sponsored

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It could be worse. My rear window was manufactured at the Wicked Witch of the West INC. Because...

The heat is doing a number on the weather stripping.

Trayce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado, 2012 Range Rover Supercharged, 2010 JKU, 1996 Porsche C4S
I just picked up my new Rubicon about 10 days ago. I have almost 2000 miles on it and probably 500 of that was on gravel/dirt roads. There is so much dirt entering the vehicle from the back window and tailgate that my son and start sneezing as soon as we start moving. If I run the fan on 7 it seems to help a little bit, hard to have a conversation as the fan fan is very loud at that setting. Went to the dealer this morning and they are going to order new weather stripping. I’ll update when complete and if it helps.

OP
OP
alkapin

alkapin

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR, 2014 White GL350
I just picked up my new Rubicon about 10 days ago. I have almost 2000 miles on it and probably 500 of that was on gravel/dirt roads. There is so much dirt entering the vehicle from the back window and tailgate that my son and start sneezing as soon as we start moving. If I run the fan on 7 it seems to help a little bit, hard to have a conversation as the fan fan is very loud at that setting. Went to the dealer this morning and they are going to order new weather stripping. I’ll update when complete and if it helps.
When you open rear doors, do you see any specific dusty "points of entry" similar to the pictures I have posted?

Trayce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado, 2012 Range Rover Supercharged, 2010 JKU, 1996 Porsche C4S
Yes, it appears the dust was s coming in between the glass and tailgate. When I open the the tailgate there will be a pile of dust on top of the plastic door cover. It also floats all over the interior but there is a lot of dust that just settles to the tailgate.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Do you have the fan on RECIRC ???

W.E.

JIMBO