2018 JLU Pulls Right ONLY in 4WD

RonLlamas

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLU
Hello all, big time follower and recent 2018 Red JLU purchaser. Shortly after getting my new Manual Trans JLU I decided to just try putting it into 4WD go test it out in dry conditions. A short 1/4 drive on local streets w traffic lights went well until I slowed down to the first traffic light. As I slowed down the steering tightened up significantly and pulled hard to the right. This is replicates now every time I slow to a stop. First gear starts also need more gas and steering corrections to get moving and go straight so much so that trying to parallel park in 4wd is a VERY DIFFICULT. Once the car is in motion steering seems to be fine but when the car slows steering tightens up again and pulls hard right.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
DON'T use your 4wd on dry pavement like that. Granted you don't have lockers but more wear than normal on the drivetrain and tires will occur if you keep making sharp turning maneuvers like parallel parking on dry pavement. It will also drive funny, sort of like you described when you do.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Hello all, big time follower and recent 2018 Red JLU purchaser. Shortly after getting my new Manual Trans JLU I decided to just try putting it into 4WD go test it out in dry conditions. A short 1/4 drive on local streets w traffic lights went well until I slowed down to the first traffic light. As I slowed down the steering tightened up significantly and pulled hard to the right. This is replicates now every time I slow to a stop. First gear starts also need more gas and steering corrections to get moving and go straight so much so that trying to parallel park in 4wd is a VERY DIFFICULT. Once the car is in motion steering seems to be fine but when the car slows steering tightens up again and pulls hard right.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Just throwing this out there - nothing good is going to come from you running in 4H on dry pavement (unless you have SelecTrac 4WD Auto). You'll bind up your drivetrain.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
4WD is not intended for smooth dry pavement. Take your Jeep off road on to loose, slippery, rough, uneven, sandy surfaces, etc . and put it into 4WD.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RonLlamas

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLU
Just throwing this out there - nothing good is going to come from you running in 4H on dry pavement (unless you have SelecTrac 4WD Auto). You'll bind up your drivetrain.
I understand not doing it often but I literally just went 1/4 mile. I'm only going to use 4H in torrential downpour rain or snow but even then, what scares me is if it pulls this hard in the dry, what happens in the snow? I feel like itd make me skid

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I understand not doing it often but I literally just went 1/4 mile. I'm only going to use 4H in torrential downpour rain or snow but even then, what scares me is if it pulls this hard in the dry, what happens in the snow? I feel like itd make me skid
Ah, gotcha. Best way to test 4WD would be to be on a gravel or dirt road, one that'll have some give. I've done that a few times for 4H and 4L.
When I first bought my JL and hit a gravel road I felt completely out of control, but locking in to 4H made it smooth as butter. If it pulls for you in that kind of scenario I'd say you have a problem.

OP
OP

RonLlamas

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLU
Ah, gotcha. Best way to test 4WD would be to be on a gravel or dirt road, one that'll have some give. I've done that a few times for 4H and 4L.
When I first bought my JL and hit a gravel road I felt completely out of control, but locking in to 4H made it smooth as butter. If it pulls for you in that kind of scenario I'd say you have a problem.
Thanks. I'm moving to southern Florida in a couple months I hope to find a good dealership that can triage this issue

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't. You do something that it is clearly not meant to do, then wonder why it acts different. Don't use 4H on dry pavement period. I can't even see any reason to use it in the rain, there is not enough slippage even on wet pavement. Still shaking my head over wondering why it is hard to parallel park in 4H.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just don't. You do something that it is clearly not meant to do, then wonder why it acts different. Don't use 4H on dry pavement period. I can't even see any reason to use it in the rain, there is not enough slippage even on wet pavement. Still shaking my head over wondering why it is hard to parallel park in 4H.
i agree about not using it on dry lavement, buuuut, on very wet and slippery pavement, it can be used, without issues, as.long as.you are going in a straight line. Where I live, there is a 1 1/2 mile straight road, that is like ice, whenever it gets wet. I use 4H whenever i drive that stretch, in the rain. I learned my lesson long ago, with a new 4x4 diesel I have, i applied the brakes and slid 50 yards, into a truck, stopped traffic, and I wasnt speeding before I tried to stop. Ive also seen many many accidents along that stretch of road, with rain or mist falling. So, there are exceptions. On the bright side, my truck got a big steel bumper, after that.

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
i agree about not using it on dry lavement, buuuut, on very wet and slippery pavement, it can be used, without issues, as.long as.you are going in a straight line. ...whenever it gets wet ... I use 4H whenever i drive that stretch, in the rain. ... i applied the brakes and slid 50 yards, into a truck, stopped traffic, and I wasnt speeding before I tried to stop. ...
You brought up a good point that often gets overlooked by drivers new to 4x4 - it won't decrease your stopping distance, but increased control may allow you to avoid a collision by steering around the hazard or stopped traffic on the road ahead.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My first thought with the pulling to one side was that perhaps the FAD (front axle disconnect) was not engaging properly or secondly, perhaps the Traction Control was detecting different wheel speeds and applying braking selectively to correct.
Sponsored