2018 JLU Non-Rubi Mopar 2" 37 tires

callipygian

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimitied Sport
I have a pro comp m/t tire 37x12.50x17 and im wondering if I bought some rubi fenders would the tires rub? I went to a shop today and they told me they thought so since the rubi axles are wider they might. I saw the video from waylife about the rubbing against the liner in the rear.
Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
I don't belive wayalyfe was on a Mopar 2", it was a differen't brand or spacer lift when he did that. all rated lifts will sit a little different with a little different clearance. a Mopar 2" is really more like 3" unless you have steal bumpers etc. the rear back of the inner fender may rub (Bottom rear plastic, but that can be fixed with a heat gun easy.
I'll have my Mopar lift and 37" Toyo MT's Installed 2/2 and I can maybe let you know after that from personal experience then, tho with different tire of course.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Thank you Mojito
On my jlus, I did some trial and error with bigger tires on stock wheels and results were:

1. 33" ko2 with stock suspension will rub solidly on fenders when flexing..no rub during on road use. Tires cleared control arms at full lock
2. 33" ko2 with takeoff rubi suspension provided 1.5" lift is fine on road and didn't rub much offroad...just at full flex (came off steel bumber hardtop optioned jlur)
3. 35Ă—12.50 ko2 with takeoff rubi suspension/wheels rubbed control arms solidly when near full lock. Would not want to take it offroad and flex it due to risk of ripping off fenders. Needs more clearance.

As a data point, I swapped in jlur axles on my jlus and lifted it 3", so both d44 axles are 1.5" wider(.75" wider at each wheel) and pushing the stock wheels(44mm offset) out .75" wider on 35Ă—12.50 ko2's, it rubbed on the straight RK control arms at full lock, but cleared the fenders with 2 bumpstops in front and 3 in rear. I added 3 washers for clearance when turning.

Conclusion, if you added 3" in height with a mopar lift and rubi fenders which are 2" higher(not sure about inner fender liner clearance difference between jlus & jlur) and went to a 37"Ă—12.50 tire, you would still need to push the wheels out atleast 1.5" or so wider to have decent articulation and turn radius. If you don't go wider, the 37" tire will solidly rub the control arms and probably the inner fender during uptravel. If you want to have clearance for articulation, I recommend doing the mopar lift, rubi fenders and different wheels that will provide 1.5" additional inner clearance.(backspacing of 4.75" or less)

In reality, no one recommends running 37s on the stock m186/m200 jl axles and gearing. What type of riding are you doing?

OP
OP

callipygian

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking into changing gears within a week or two. When you say stock axles are you talking about doing what you did switching to rubicon and regearing or just regearing

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You’ll probably rub on the fronts at full turn with 37’s on a sport or Sahara without wheel spacers or really aggressive backspacing.

OP
OP

callipygian

First Name
Dre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish they showed more here but i was going by this video

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
I have a pro comp m/t tire 37x12.50x17 and im wondering if I bought some rubi fenders would the tires rub? I went to a shop today and they told me they thought so since the rubi axles are wider they might. I saw the video from waylife about the rubbing against the liner in the rear.
On Eddie's first lift, he was running the Evo spacer lift

RWJLSAHARA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara 2" Mopar Light 37 inch Toyo Open Country MT Rough Country’s N3 Steering Stabilizers
I wish they showed more here but i was going by this video

I can speak first hand 37 inch tires with a Mopar lift works fine until you go off road. Even minimum articulation causes the rear fender to rub and minor articulation will pop the clips on the rear. The Rubicon fenders give you an additional 2 inch of clearance but again any major articulation will still rub.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
I can speak first hand 37 inch tires with a Mopar lift works fine until you go off road. Even minimum articulation causes the rear fender to rub and minor articulation will pop the clips on the rear. The Rubicon fenders give you an additional 2 inch of clearance but again any major articulation will still rub.
Agreed, most of which different bumpstops would be an option and you would be heating and slightly molding the rear plastic by the tire to push back for more clearance. Just depends on what exactly you're changing to allow for your lift/37's to clear.
Sponsored