2018 JLU mild hybrid 12v battery discharge

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
So other then battery size (which is a hybrid criteria) , why is this not a hybrid?
You where not wrong calling it a hybrid. As others have pointed out, it is even marketed as mild-hybrid. The mild is because of how limited the battery capacity is. Otherwise, it has a lot of the makings of a hybrid.

My comments where meant only to help identify which model you have to get others to take notice. The jeep is marketed as an ETorque engine, and that makes the difference from those with the 2.0L without etorque. The 48v battery is one of many differences.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
This post title is worried terribly. The title implies the 48v battery is draining. The post talks about his 12v battery draining. Which is it? Lol

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
This post title is worried terribly.
I have created a lot of chatter trying to help the OP with that ---

2018 ETorque main battery discharge would be a great title.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Yes, and it is really a lot more hybrid than I like. It is one reason I am glad I have the 2020 3.6L Auto...almost waited for the 2021---and would have been very upset had I waited.
Yup, I waited and was planning on a 2021 3.6 ESS Auto and learned it now has has etorque attached to it. So I am staying with my '12 JKUR for now until I see what Jeep comes out with for its next engine for the 2022 model. Surely, after 7 versions of engines in 3 model years, they will be offering an 8th version for the 2022 model.:LOL:

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, 2018 why would it be considered any kind of Hybrid to begin with???

I'm confused, I have a 2018 JLU and it has 2 batteries both under the hood. One to work/assist the "Stop/Start" system. If that's what we are talking here I'd rather call it "a pain in the ASK" rather than a "mild hybrid" whatever that is???

2021 is the 4xe Hybrid, that would be the only JLU Hybrid ?

Go Jeep!!!
The OP has the 2.0T with eTorque, which has one main battery (12v) under the hood (no small ESS battery) and a 48v battery pack along the rear driver side of the frame. One of the differences in the eTorque system (there are many) vs. non-eTorque engines, is the Start/Stop is operated on the 48v battery and the Belt Start Generator. The non-eTorque engines rely on the small auxiliary battery and the normal starter.

Those differences are why the eTorque equipped engine ESS is much smoother (no starter engagement during ESS) and their charging/electrical systems have so far been more reliable, especially for the 2018-2019 model years. The auxiliary battery is/was prone to causing the JL's to not start as the aux battery and main battery are tied together.

If you have the main and auxiliary battery, you don't have eTorque.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
limeaid,

Gotcha, I kinda knew this but Hybrid is kinda stretching it is all I'm saying.

We also have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk with ESS it has only one large main battery and works much smoother than our 2018 JLU. Seems the hurrier they go the behinder they get!! LOL

I am not a great fan of ESS,I just don't pay it much attention!

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
owltown

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
OK guys.. TRUE the title was the pits.. it has been fixed.. But more information for you.. my initial discharge I believe was due to my wife leaving the key fob in the jeep. apparently it does not go to sleep with the fob in cabin.i.e drain the battery... Second I noticed a very large drop in millage to 15 with the battery not fully charged.. Dealier says it is because the charging system was working exrtra hard (not sure I believe it) however after a trip to the dealer and a test ( which included a FULL battery charge) all went back ti normal.. Until it got below 20 deg outside. I noticed a decrees in MPG again of a few MPG.. After further study I am assuming it is because LI batteries loose some power in low temp. Temp went up and MPG went back to normal. VERY much a leap of faith... Now for an additional statement... the difference in the e-torque and a full hybrid as far as I can tell is the size of the battery(48V).. So is this a hybrid or not? I think so. BTW under power both the eTorque and the gas eng are working together.. It has regenerative breaking. So why do some keep saying it is not a hybrid? all battery ref refer to 12v battery unless stated otherwise

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
OK guys.. TRUE the title was the pits.. it has been fixed.. But more information for you.. my initial discharge I believe was due to my wife leaving the key fob in the jeep. apparently it does not go to sleep with the fob in cabin.i.e drain the battery... Second I noticed a very large drop in millage to 15 with the battery not fully charged.. Dealier says it is because the charging system was working exrtra hard (not sure I believe it) however after a trip to the dealer and a test ( which included a FULL battery charge) all went back ti normal.. Until it got below 20 deg outside. I noticed a decrees in MPG again of a few MPG.. After further study I am assuming it is because LI batteries loose some power in low temp. Temp went up and MPG went back to normal. VERY much a leap of faith... Now for an additional statement... the difference in the e-torque and a full hybrid as far as I can tell is the size of the battery(48V).. So is this a hybrid or not? I think so. BTW under power both the eTorque and the gas eng are working together.. It has regenerative breaking. So why do some keep saying it is not a hybrid? all battery ref refer to 12v battery unless stated otherwise
If it requires the 48 volt battery to operate then I would say it is a hybrid regardless of how much it is actually propelling the vehicle . If it will operate with the 48 volt battery disconnected, then I would say it is not a hybrid but rather an overly complicated way to perform auto stop/start.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
@owltown I just noticed your forum handle. Would it be in reference to the community that's at the base of Fort Mountain?
Sponsored