owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am having main battery( the one under the hood- hybrids only have one main battery under the hood) problems with battery being discharge after 4 days of non-use. Welcome to covid.
The dealer did a charge and load test on the battery and it showed OK. My question is during the load test does my Hybrid battery
add power to my main battery resulting in an error in the load test. I plan to return to the dealer and ask them to disconnect
my battery prior to the load test. Does this plan make sense?

Talked to dealer.. I live 30 mile from him.. He said put a full charge on battery and then disconect the NEG terminal.. let sit for 4 day.. this will tell us if it is a drain or a bad battery.. Sound like good advice!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Can't help, but you should change title to etorque or 48v battery. Your jlu is not a hybrid. That would be the 4xe model.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you missed my point -- you don't have a JXe -- that is a 2021 model - a true plugin hybrid :)

You have a eTorque engine, which provides a 48v battery to help with the start stop and provide a short runtime off battery while engine starts.

The eTorque would be the correct label to assign--lots of people have those.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Can't help, but you should change title to etorque or 48v battery. Your jlu is not a hybrid. That would be the 4xe model.
His JLU is considered a mild hybrid.

Sponsored

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
His JLU is considered a mild hybrid.
We can argue symantics, but my point is that those that have eTorque would read the header, as they do not consider themselves hybrid.

Hell, my 1983 S10 could be a mild hybrid if at the top of a hill---I could turn engine off, turn up radio, roll down windows, hold in clutch and go a long way.

Hybrid Jeep only exists in the 4xe.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Hmm, 2018 why would it be considered any kind of Hybrid to begin with???

I'm confused, I have a 2018 JLU and it has 2 batteries both under the hood. One to work/assist the "Stop/Start" system. If that's what we are talking here I'd rather call it "a pain in the ASK" rather than a "mild hybrid" whatever that is???

2021 is the 4xe Hybrid, that would be the only JLU Hybrid ?

Go Jeep!!!

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure it can. the DC-to-DC converter needs to be operating in order for it to be providing power to the 12V system. Based on all the information I've read, I believe the engine needs to be running, as the DC-To-DC converter is tied to the electric generator (which needs engine rotation for power generation to occur). Same reason why you can't use the 48v battery to "boost" your 12v starter battery.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We can argue symantics, but my point is that those that have eTorque would read the header, as they do not consider themselves hybrid.

Hell, my 1983 S10 could be a mild hybrid if at the top of a hill---I could turn engine off, turn up radio, roll down windows, hold in clutch and go a long way.

Hybrid Jeep only exists in the 4xe.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLU mild hybrid 12v battery discharge Screenshot_2021-01-25-13-28-54

OP
OP
owltown

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure it can. the DC-to-DC converter needs to be operating in order for it to be providing power to the 12V system. Based on all the information I've read, I believe the engine needs to be running, as the DC-To-DC converter is tied to the electric generator (which needs engine rotation for power generation to occur). Same reason why you can't use the 48v battery to "boost" your 12v starter battery.
your answer makes good scene , thanks you... For all the others thank you for replying.. My 2018 JLU 2 is a turbo with a 48 volt LI battery. It is equipted with etorque is considered by many to be a mild hybrid.. Its or not I do not know. It does most of the real hybrid stuff except regeneration from breaking... A % of the power comes from the 48 volt battery and the electric motor connected to the crank. Motor Located front , center and top of engine.

Sponsored

Pgslater

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
your answer makes good scene , thanks you... For all the others thank you for replying.. My 2018 JLU 2 is a turbo with a 48 volt LI battery. It is equipted with etorque is considered by many to be a mild hybrid.. Its or not I do not know. It does most of the real hybrid stuff except regeneration from breaking... A % of the power comes from the 48 volt battery and the electric motor connected to the crank. Motor Located front , center and top of engine.

There is in fact regenerative braking :) just not like a Prius would do it. The same eclectic motor that charges the 48v battery from the engine rotation will do so on deceleration and coasting. That why our jeeps with this system, experience a pretty aggressive "slow-down" when we release the gas at a stop.

OP
OP
owltown

owltown

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2L turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There is in fact regenerative braking :) just not like a Prius would do it. The same eclectic motor that charges the 48v battery from the engine rotation will do so on deceleration and coasting. That why our jeeps with this system, experience a pretty aggressive "slow-down" when we release the gas at a stop.
So other then battery size (which is a hybrid criteria) , why is this not a hybrid?

Pgslater I like your posts, very informative.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point still stands---etorque would be the right name for this engine, and get more attention.
Oh, you are talking about how he should have referred to it. I thought you were saying it wasn't an gas/electric hybrid, which it is.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, you are talking about how he should have referred to it. I thought you were saying it wasn't an gas/electric hybrid, which it is.
Yes, and it is really a lot more hybrid than I like. It is one reason I am glad I have the 2020 3.6L Auto...almost waited for the 2021---and would have been very upset had I waited.
Sponsored