2018 JLU front axle noise in 2WD but not 4WD updated info on noise

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
Chasing some noise in my front end before it goes back to the shop for repairs.

We were in an accident and the front axle was replaced with a reman unit. Problem with a reman this route is they send the axle and the shop has to build it up and reinstall. At first all was fine no noises at all.

At the moment it’s giving me a whir whir whir whir noise. Tires are pretty dead so my first thought was that I simply needed a tire rotation. Took care of that today but I still have the noise. In further chasing it seems to be primarily front right and shows up loudest around 55 MPH. I tested in 2WD and 4WD and it seems to go away with 4WD.

I have done the side to side steering to check wheel bearings as well but that seems fine when introducing a side load. Thanks

Any ideas on what it might be for me to help tell the shop what the potential problem is?

The axle is warrantied for 3 years so that is good, just trying to get back to a noise free driving experience at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Based upon your description, the only difference on the right side vs. the left side is the FAD unit on the right side. Perhaps the FAD collar, fork, etc. is making the noise. Maybe the collar is making contact slightly with the inner shaft??

That's where I'd look first since the noise goes away in 4wd. When 4wd is engaged, the fork moves the collar and locks the inner and outer shaft together.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be that the FAD just needs adjusted?
I don't think there's any way to adjust the FAD. The FAD consists of a small electric motor which causes a fork to move the collar to engage/disengage the passenger side inner and outer axle shafts.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Could it be that the FAD just needs adjusted?
I couldn't find anything about adjusting the FAD in my Tech Authority service manual. It's probably a replace only situation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone, when I take it in I will tell them about the possible FAD issue.

OP
OP
Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, going in to the shop on Monday for a leaking seal. I took it to the office yesterday to get a feel for the noise on the highway but since it had a leaking seal I opted to top off the diff oil before leaving. It was a half quart low.

I noticed that I had a slight amount of metal in the oil but I kinda figured that might be from break in since the axle was rebuilt after the accident just a few thousand miles ago.

The FAD seems fine now but I am hearing a click in the front end now. No change if going straight or turning or in 2wd or 4wd

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Update, going in to the shop on Monday for a leaking seal. I took it to the office yesterday to get a feel for the noise on the highway but since it had a leaking seal I opted to top off the diff oil before leaving. It was a half quart low.

I noticed that I had a slight amount of metal in the oil but I kinda figured that might be from break in since the axle was rebuilt after the accident just a few thousand miles ago.

The FAD seems fine now but I am hearing a click in the front end now. No change if going straight or turning or in 2wd or 4wd
This doesn't by chance have the full-time 4wd transfer case does it? if so could be a CV that was damaged in the accident.

OP
OP
Valpo Jeep

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on the axle. Just been a comedy of problems with this shop. Initially I thought they did good work but . . . .

My only saving grace is the axle is under warranty.

Last year my wife was in an accident and the axle had to be replaced as it taco'd the driver side lower control arm and bent the crap out of the connection gussets. Winds up the rebuilt axle was built incorrectly and the driver side axle end (for lack of a better term) was not properly welded onto the center section and leaked. New housing was many weeks / months before available so they talked to the supplier about repair procedures and welded it up. Well they did not protect the axle seal and damaged it. Also they did not ground the axle housing correctly and wound up grounding through the bearing.

Jeep is back home right now waiting on parts to show up at this point. New seals and bearings from the dealer are on the way and hopefully I will be done with this shop once its all back together. And hopefully this will take care of the noises in the front end as well. Parts should be here in time to go back in the shop Monday.

In a month I will pull the plugs and dump this diff juice and check for metal flakes and decide from there. I need to change the rear and TC fluid as well so I will do that then as well. This summer I will likely do the trans as well after some more YT videos to understand the heat up and check process.
Sponsored