2018 JLR - Christmas Tree Dash + Stuck in Park

kkasten

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon (45k miles) which started displaying a Check Engine light on June 30th after a bad oil change experience at a service center that required parts of the engine to be power washed by the service center. Soon after the dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree (see video) so I took it into the Autonation Jeep Dealer in Denver on July 13. After resetting the Check Engine and applying a software update it was deemed fixed. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the next day threw a Check Engine, Dashboard Lights, and the power steering cycles so it jerks when driving. It went back to the deal on July 15 and was deemed fixed on July 20 after a 5-day stay. On July 25th, it started throwing the error codes again - plus the Shifter is now Stuck in Park and nobody at the Jeep Dealer seems to know what to do???

Has anybody else seen these issues and or have suggestions? I've opened a case (#80089802) with Jeep Customer Care. @JeepCares

20210715_090825.jpg
Sponsored

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I don't have any advice, but that sucks. Is the Jeep home or still at the dealer?

Was it a dealer service center that did the oil change or a stand-alone shop? I've now had 3 dealers in Utah spill oil all over the engine bay, frame, etc. while doing the included "Jeep Wave" oil changes, then not clean it or admit it and send me home to dribble all over the garage floor.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@kkasten

Over the last few months we have been seeing lots of wacky electronics things.... lights flashing like and at the same time wipers working on their own and more...

Has your ESS (stop/start) been working... have you been getting any messages that ESS is disabled, etc...

Your 2 batteries on that 2018 are aging out...... and need to be replaced soon or now...

Has dealer load tested both of your JL's batteries?

OP
OP

kkasten

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have any advice, but that sucks. Is the Jeep home or still at the dealer?

Was it a dealer service center that did the oil change or a stand-alone shop? I've now had 3 dealers in Utah spill oil all over the engine bay, frame, etc. while doing the included "Jeep Wave" oil changes, then not clean it or admit it and send me home to dribble all over the garage floor.
Jeep is at the dealer again. They believe there is either still water or corrosion somewhere causing the electrican issues

OP
OP

kkasten

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@kkasten

Over the last few months we have been seeing lots of wacky electronics things.... lights flashing like and at the same time wipers working on their own and more...

Has your ESS (stop/start) been working... have you been getting any messages that ESS is disabled, etc...

Your 2 batteries on that 2018 are aging out...... and need to be replaced soon or now...

Has dealer load tested both of your JL's batteries?
Funny you mention the ESS and wipers --- those started acting like they are possessed as well. As for the battery replacement recommendation, I'm believing the same thing since its a cheap fix to eliminate that possible cause even though the dealer did do a load test

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Funny you mention the ESS and wipers --- those started acting like they are possessed as well. As for the battery replacement recommendation, I'm believing the same thing since its a cheap fix to eliminate that possible cause even though the dealer did do a load test
@kkasten

Ask your dealer to see the printout of the load tests results on both batteries they allegedly did..... as I said allegedly.... because very good chance they only tested the Main or neither...

SaltyPreacher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have a 2018 JL Rubicon (45k miles) which started displaying a Check Engine light on June 30th after a bad oil change experience at a service center that required parts of the engine to be power washed by the service center. Soon after the dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree (see video) so I took it into the Autonation Jeep Dealer in Denver on July 13. After resetting the Check Engine and applying a software update it was deemed fixed. Unfortunately, it wasn't and the next day threw a Check Engine, Dashboard Lights, and the power steering cycles so it jerks when driving. It went back to the deal on July 15 and was deemed fixed on July 20 after a 5-day stay. On July 25th, it started throwing the error codes again - plus the Shifter is now Stuck in Park and nobody at the Jeep Dealer seems to know what to do???

Has anybody else seen these issues and or have suggestions? I've opened a case (#80089802) with Jeep Customer Care. @JeepCares

Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 JLR - Christmas Tree Dash + Stuck in Park 20210715_090825
What’s the update on this?

halhamilton

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
Same problem on 2020 JLUR, 40200 miles. I think I have successfully traced it to the CAN C Bus STAR connector (behind the glove box). This morning I removed the connector and sprayed terminal cleaner on the different connections. It behaved completely for about an hour of driving. Then, when going over some brutal potholes, I got the Christmas tree dash for a little bit. I wiggled the cables by that connector and got it to clear most lights. I'll keep updating this as I go along.
Sponsored