Plasterboard

First Name
Dryw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Clutch noise question.

2018 JLR. 6100 miles. I do not do it purposefully, but I have noticed if I am going in 3rd gear or higher (usually 3+), and the RPMs are over 2500 - if I push the clutch in while the vehicle is in gear and let the RPMs drop to 500 (and then they do the bounce back to 700 or so)...that moment when it hits the bottom there is s grinding noise as the RPMs are rebounding.

It doesn’t always happen. I am unclear why it does it. I’ve had manual vehicles before so it do not believe it’s me having caused some form of serious damage in only 6100 miles.

Obviously I don’t do this on purpose but I had to avoid someone hitting me the other day and I wasn’t sure what gear I intended to go into yet so that brief 1-2 seconds is all it took for the tach to drop to idle RPMs and that’s when I first noticed it.

Anyways - any noise is usually not good, especially in a clutch. The noise sounds like an old truck or school bus going into gear when they grind the gears...just not as loud l...but I’m not putting it into gear or out of gear when this is actually happening...if only happens if the tranny has not been put into neutral yet.
Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
I have the same thing. It's been discussed here before, so you are not alone.

Mine happens only intermittently. One thing I've noticed is that it happens more frequently and/or is more noticeable when I have the AC on - very strange.

I haven't seen an explanation for it or even a theory. I've decided not to worry about it since it is happening to others as well.